Must you build a Commercial District in every city? Are they really that OP?

You can get an easy +5 for placing a commercial district on a river tile between a city centre and harbour.

Also Kongo gets +100% GP points. Gold is useful for everything.

Yes I'd say build 100% of the time, even if you don't have a river.

what about a builder making 1 farm and a mine/pasture, thats food + prod + housing + ?.

as a city is near the housing cap a granary is cheap and gives you 2 more tiles to work in short order. surely thats better to build than a district slot + trader?

whats the cost of the commerce district and a trader vs the cost of a builder and a granary?
I had presumed we'd be past the point where those options were on the table before we'd start considering the worth of a CH, but maybe that was too bold of a presumption.

(P.S. don't forget that growing a city has a food and an amenities cost; you don't magically gain 2 citizens upon building a granary!)

Yes they take time to build and provide benefits but the district and the trader take longer to build so you also accrue some of the benefits more quickly (say from a builder).

The point of the thread, I thought, was whether or not it was right to build a CH in every district and to a lessor degree how immediately should it be built. Alternatives that provide similar benefits have to be considered if you're going to figure it out. If we are past the point of building a granary and all our improvements and we're at a soft cap for housing then its far later in the game than, I think, most are advocating CH. As I've said, I do build them in most cities but not early.

It was mentioned in the upcoming patch announcements that some adjustments will be made to trade routes (Hello, nerf?). So this thread will probably take quite a turn in the next week or so.
Wonder if the nerf also comes with decrease production cost. If not, we can look forward to 13-pop cities with 1-2 districts because of the high production cost.

Top Bottom