1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

My custom civ - Project Discussion

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by PPQ_Purple, Apr 15, 2010.

1. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

er... anyone?

2. OwieB2003

OwieB2003 Warlord

At the risk of sounding like a fool for not re-reading every post in the thread...
    Immortal UU name: Found melee line names. Ignore what was here before. Umm... cornucopic knight? knight of the endless sheaf?
    Religious 3: Promotion-granting spell, promotion wears off after 1 turn, gives +affinity to fire or blaze, lowers resistance to fire and/or blaze damage?

3. OwieB2003

OwieB2003 Warlord

Er, if you could re-post the 12 December Channel Log post with the names or as much of the names that isn't spoily, would probably help with thinking up names.

4. PPQ_Purple

I would but you will see it all as soon as 1.31 comes out in a day or two anyway.
    And I will spend that time working on the lore.

I just realized that I am yet to turn the work folders into something presentable lol.

Also, note that part of it will be non modular (the city sets and music files). There will be instructions how to install them manually, but no automatic installer until I can get my own working. But the non modular parts won't make a difference unless my module is activated.

5. PPQ_Purple

This is delayed until further notice due to a lack in the required DLL changes beyond my control.

I will work on polishing the lore text and stuff and wait patiently until the day comes that it can be made. But at this point I can not tell when or if this will ever be.

6. PPQ_Purple

Restarting the thread with a new focus. Screw the AI, death to the DLL. I'll do it all in python for now.

7. PPQ_Purple

Random question. How does modular loading effect things if two modules are editing the same file or python function? Like say I want to add code to the onBeginTurn function, but some other module does so as well. How will the game handle that?

8. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

if i remember anw's code well, if a function is adapted to modular, it will run first the modular code based on loading order of the mods then the normal code

9. PPQ_Purple

I am mainly asking because I will actually be editing the onBeginTurn or onEndTurn events to get my custom affinity and city health things to work properly. And I am not sure how that will mesh with other modules. Like for example, do I need to execute the old code in my function as well? Your description makes it sound like I only have to write my contents and the game will handle the base function without me having a copy.

10. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

yes it will.

11. PPQ_Purple

I have stumbled upon a problem. I am looking for the code for Mechanos or D'tesh affinity. Either is fine as I just want to create my own comparable mechanic. But I can't find it anywhere in the python files. Has it all been migrated to the DLL? If not, where is it? It can't well all have been done with the XML.

12. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

hmmm, apparently, the upgraded affinity system was indeed already added in last rife version (contrary to what i may have mentioned in former posts). you can define an affinity in the Civ4Affinityinfos xml file, and add the affinity to a promo through the <Affinity></Affinity> tag

13. PPQ_Purple

So wait, I can actually do random stuff such as +10 strength per mana type? O_O

14. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

yeah i'd say. you'll find the list of usable tags in Civ4Unit Schema, under the AffinityInfo list (at the end of the file)

15. PPQ_Purple

Found them! Now the fun can truly begin! I expected to have to do it the old fashioned way with a multiple acquisition promotion being applied through python at the beginning of each turn. This makes things much easier.
    Basically, I have this idea of an affinity that gives me a flat +10% to all units per fire mana I own. That offsets the requirement for creation mana for . Ideally the player would be forced to juggle these two.

I am not sure how well this would scale though. What do you think?

16. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

ten percent is on par with what's done for d'tesh at the moment, so that should be ok in term of balancing.

17. PPQ_Purple

My worry is that there might not be enough mana on maps for things to work out. Like, if you only have 5 mana total than you can either get +50% or +5 . Neither of which is impressive.

I basically lack the experience to judge how many mana nodes is a reasonable amount to expect a player would have at various stages of the game.

18. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

well, that's the risk when you base a civ on a resource or a map feature, if it's not there, they're useless ( see lanun without water ^^). Besides, you still have oghma's rituals to make more pop up. you can also make several levels for the affinity, unlocked by tech and/or unit level.

19. PPQ_Purple

Indeed. I was hoping to mitigate the effect by having said resource be very generic (as in, any mana node of any kind will do. My adepts can convert them to fire or creation easily. So my main concern is how many nodes on average of all kinds put together I can expect a player to have. Like, say we have a map of size X. How much mana can I expect the player to reasonably have access to on turn Y. That sort of stuff.

That's one idea I was toying around as well. Another one was making the affinity non linear in some way. Like say an extra boon for every X mana. Not sure how I'd do it though.

20. A Moon

A Moon The "A" is silent

Hey, PPQ, is that that civ you were talking about, like, 4 years ago? I think I vaguely remember something scarecrow-related?