My custom civ - Project Discussion

The thing is... It doesn't even NEED to be imba, once 1.4 is out. It can simply cost much more than other spells. :lol:
guess youre talking of the 3rd level spell?
increasing cost is a very cheap way to rebalance, that shouldnt be used on its own.
a nuclear missile that kills the whole world besides you is still imbalanced even if it costs 1000000000000 hammers ( as an extreme example). it remains a game breaker.
although i must admit that the 1.4 system will make it easier to balance the spell, aka going higher with the damage potentially done. :)

For the world spell I think I will just make a copy of the regular Pillar of Fire but up the damage from 50-70 to 60-80 to represent supreme mastery of fire. For now. It's not like there will be a lack of burning, affinity fueled units to mop up afterward.

As for the WS it should scale with the fire mana you have.
Sort of like worldbreak scales with the AC count.

Maybe something like: Deals X% damage to all units (non Fire/Magic resistant, non hero, non unique etc.) and cities during X turns with. Essentially take worldbreak, change the reference to the AC into Fire Mana Count, make the effect stick for X turns rather than wear off at once.
What do you think? (Also, include chance of fires breaking out naturally)

Where X is the number of fire nodes the player has.

For the world spell I think I will just make a copy of the regular Pillar of Fire but up the damage from 50-70 to 60-80 to represent supreme mastery of fire. For now. It's not like there will be a lack of burning, affinity fueled units to mop up afterward.

As for the WS it should scale with the fire mana you have.
Sort of like worldbreak scales with the AC count.

Maybe something like: Deals X% damage to all units (non Fire/Magic resistant, non hero, non unique etc.) and cities during X turns with. Essentially take worldbreak, change the reference to the AC into Fire Mana Count, make the effect stick for X turns rather than wear off at once.
What do you think? (Also, include chance of fires breaking out naturally)

Where X is the number of fire nodes the player has.
i prefer my idea :p
but i think that ones okay, too^^

Also, as I despise leaving empty places in descriptions you all can expect little snippets of writing here and there that I hope you will find interesting.

Just remember to look in unexpected places...

I am nearing V0.5 and it will be done quite soon. Just so you know, I don't think I will be releasing it at this stage as it is just not balanced without the creation mana = :health: thing.

But I need advice on several things:

1. Worldspell

My idea so far is for a spell that does between X and Y % damage to all units and cities each turn for Z turns. It would have the same chances to blow up wonders and buildings as worldbreak does, just reduced since it is a fixed chance (say X-Y) instead of a maximum of 100% that WB can give you.

Variables are as fallow:

X = 1%, most likely
Y = ??? Some fixed number, I need ideas for this
Z = Number of Fire mana the player has

Any input?

2. I need ideas for a Divine + Blaze 2 spell for my High Priest UU.

3. I want to add a 2nd hero to the race.
Available: Pass through the Ether or Omniscience
0 :strength: + 1 Fire Affinity (maybe +2 instead)
Starts with Divine, Blaze 1, Fire 1, Channeling 1-3, Hero

Do you think it is OP?

4. Since my race only uses 2 types of mana (Fire and Creation) my palace will give out one of each.
But what do I do for the 3rd bonus? Any input?

4. Grain of course! No question.

Edit: On a second thought you will have to change some stuff like "builds faster with grain" then. But anyway it really fits!
Would be nice if it would be possible to get the builds faster bonus multiple times. Like 2% faster for every grain you have.

The tag that allows buildings to be built faster with certain resources is one of the ones that will be affected by the bMultipleBonus tag; PPQ requested a way for buildings to give happy/health for every instance of a resource you have, I decided to go with a bool to make it open to other mechanics.

So what you suggest would work.

So wait, I could have a unit that is built 10% faster for each grain resource I have?
Now that is cool.

BTW, is there any other input? Is the hero idea to imba? Any idea for the 2nd spell?
The idea for the 2nd hero is that he can cast all Fire, Blaze and Blaze + Divine spells and has 2 Fire :strength: per fire mana. He would be made through a ritual in the late game.

Does not matter than. It's not like a unit being built with so many resources would be anything but UBER IMBA.

BTW, is there a way to make a unit newer become obsolete, even when replacements are available?

Cool, thanks. PS. Any thoughts on the hero unit? Too weak? To strong?

1) Would have to playtest, but it sounds good.

Perhaps you could make Y reliant on Creation mana? It seems a bit strange that Fire has so many different uses while creation only gives you Health. Additionally it would keep players from converting their Creation nodes before they cast the WS.

In order to keep it from becoming unbalanced you could make it something like Y = 40% + (3 x Number of Creation Nodes)%

2) Perhaps you could use azzedar's Worldspell idea here (obviously in a weakened form)

3) From what I understand he'd be somewhat weaker than Chalid so I doubt he'd be op.

Edit: Perhaps you could give him +2 Fire affinity, +1 Creation affinity if he turns out to be to weak.

1) Would have to playtest, but it sounds good.

Perhaps you could make Y reliant on Creation mana? It seems a bit strange that Fire has so many different uses while creation only gives you Health. Additionally it would keep players from converting their Creation nodes before they cast the WS.

In order to keep it from becoming unbalanced you could make it something like Y = 40% + (3 x Number of Creation Nodes)%
That is a good idea. You saw that one perfectly. I would have missed it.

In light of it, I think I will base damage off creation mana and duration off fire mana.

Or maybe have X be [Fire mana count] but Y be ([Fire Mana count] / 2) * [Creation Mana count].
That, along with creation mana count for turn duration should do it nicely.
Example 1:
20 Mana owned,
10 Fire, 10 Creation

X = 10, Y = 5*10 = 50
Z = 10

The spell does between 10 and 50% damage to all units and cities each turn for 10 turns.

Or, more realisticly:
Example 2:
15 Mana owned,
10 Fire, 5 Creation

X = 10, Y = 5*5 = 25
Z = 5

The spell does between 10 and 25% damage to all units and cities each turn for 5 turns.
What do you think?

2) Perhaps you could use azzedar's Worldspell idea here (obviously in a weakened form)
Please elaborate. How would I convert it into a working spell for a unit?
Am intrested btw.

3) From what I understand he'd be somewhat weaker than Chalid so I doubt he'd be op.
When does Chalid become available? I newer quite plaid with him. I am usually a OO player.

Edit: Perhaps you could give him +2 Fire affinity, +1 Creation affinity if he turns out to be to weak.
Indeed.

Please elaborate. How would I convert it into a working spell for a unit?
Am intrested btw.
Doing a spell that, everytime casted gives that Prom5 (i think i called it that way?) to adjacent enemy unit(s).
although i would level it down to 3 promos (with the last one beeing the one that stays forever until dispelled) and with about 20-30% damage every turn.

For the palace:
if you give them a non-mana non-metal rescource for the third "slot" consider giving the palace a slight bonus in something else too as this would be inferior to a mana ressource. like +10%GreatPeople, or -60% less war :mad: or +10% Food produced or stored... something like that

So much I figured my self but so far I have no idea what that something might be.
Giving them any resource (since they only use the two mana types and grains) would be overpowering.

But I have no idea what to add as a substitute.

PS. War :( is not that much of a problem for me (well ever). I don't think I ever had War :( related problems that I could not cure in a few turns.

So much I figured my self but so far I have no idea what that something might be.
Giving them any resource (since they only use the two mana types and grains) would be overpowering.

But I have no idea what to add as a substitute.

PS. War :( is not that much of a problem for me (well ever). I don't think I ever had War :( related problems that I could not cure in a few turns.
ive already given you some ideas. although something related to food or growth would make the most sense for that civ.
+1-2 additional :health: from palace is thinkable too
or a global bonus of +10% :food: for all cities, im not sure if thats op, but its surely something that no other civ has in that way and worth testing

This was much easier back when I wanted to add blaze. Since that would have been the third mana.

what about this:

The everblazing Barn (or any other name)
Provides 1 Fire Mana
Provides 1 Creation Mana
Provides 1 Corn
-10 Crime Rate
Makes this City the Capital
Reduces Maintenance in nearby Cities
Stores 10% :food: after growth
Can turn 1 Citizen into a Merchant (hey, another possible substite :) )
-10% war :mad: in all Cities
+10% :food: in all Cities
+1 :) from Corn, Rice, Wheat (are those the cereal rescources? man, i havent played rife for too long now... btw, this is a bonus i would definitly use if i was you, if not here, than for a unique building)
Requires at least 4 cities to build/move

looks like an acceptable, working and balanced palace to me. :)
just an idea.

Top Bottom