1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

My final huzzah

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by shyuhe, Mar 23, 2008.

1. tycoonist

tycoonist Chieftain

how could i not have known that? well, i am very sorry

2. mystyfly

mystyfly Knight of Cydonia

The rules say a turnset lasts until a civ is destroyed - that made a short one for me - oh well..

(95-102) 2575BC - 2480BC

I discover Ulundi defended with only two unpromoted archers. Zulu workers are obviously not able (or too afraid) to build roads so their coppermine remains unconnected :crazyeye:

After living for exactly 1500 years (or 100 turns) the zulu are no more after their cowardly archers die in a heroic battle versus our almighty quechuas.
    (two ques died, one unpromoted, one with cover, the other two cover/CR1 ques mob up and are now cover/CR2 ques).

Ten years later, Pliny, some guy, finishes his "greatest work", which means he tells every one the obvious, namely that the Incas rock!

So I played 2 turns extra, until fishing came in. It looked like a miracle to me - we're actually MAKING money :eek:

Cultural map of our glorious empire:

---
    As there were very few comments, I mainly did what shyuhe wrote (I mean I did what I considered best :p), namely not to whip that hard (I think I only whipped once, but not sure, can't check :() and grow our cities. Cuzco now works a grassland riverside cottage, yielding 2/0/3 which helps our finances considerabely. More cottages (2) are under construction near Cuzco.
    As we now have Ulundi, I didn't have to whip the Monument @ prague to get access to copper (we will have in 2 turns, when Ulundi comes out of resistance), we only need a worker down there to connect it.

When I started, at 2575 BC, we had pop (1+1+2+2+3+3)=12, now we have (1+2+2+3+3+3+4)=18, meaning 50% more than before :eek:.

Save:
    View attachment Huzzah BC-2480.CivBeyondSwordSave

3. shyuhe

shyuhe Chieftain

I guess that puts me up for the long set of fixing the economy :lol: I'll take a look at the situation and post some comments before I play. I'm assuming Vicky will be our next target but I don't think we'll be able to afford an attack any time soon.

4. mystyfly

If some AI finishes Writing, we should start sending out some workboats to get a better view of our continent.
    There are so many forests we can chop we might want to try for a wonder, assuming we manage to get the tech first... We need LOTS of workers...

PS that quechua outside our borders where there was a city once is there to pillage that mine...

5. shyuhe

shyuhe Chieftain

Well we're barely positive right now so I'm going to try teching writing for OB instead of AH. AH won't help our cash flow issues right now. I'll try to queue up some workers as well in the larger cities and try to fix our economy so that we can acquire some more cities. I think this is going to be a long set :(

6. shyuhe

shyuhe Chieftain

Well, it didn't take as long as I thought it would. Our economy is partly recovered...

IT: I reassign some tiles to work some coastal tiles. we need commerce more than vertical growth in our fringe cities (not enough workers to plant cottages).

Turn 104 - Ulundi comes out of revolt. We're at -2 gpt at 10%. At least we won't go broke :lol:

Turn 109 - I finish chopping SH. We're building monuments in almost every city so I figured we should just finish it instead of taking the gold.

Turn 114 - we meet Fred (west).

Turn 115 - we meet Saladin (west).

Turn 124 - Moscow's gold comes online. We can actually push 20% research now! I also declare war on Vicky this turn. York appeared to be very lightly defended.

Turn 125 - I capture York. I think about it for a while and decide to keep it. It has a food resource + lots of coastal tiles so I think it should break even at size 3-4 (it's at 2 currently).

Turn 127 - I march on to London and capture a free worker. London is only defended by two archers so I attack it with our veterans and capture it (70%+ odds). A GG is born in the process and Vicky is eliminated.

Here is an overview of our holdings (I played on a few turns to let cities come out of revolt):

And our VC:

Many of our borders will pop in 7 turns (Stonehenge effect) so I think we should be over 20% at this point. I think the spare tiles north of Ulundi will eventually get covered in our culture - there isn't much we can do about that dead space now.

We're roughly halfway to our VC but it's going to get harder from here on out :( I've set the slider to 50% - we hve enough cash in reserve to get to writing at which point we can turn down the slider and whip out a library in Aachen (nearing 6 pop) and Ulundi (also nearing 6). Then run some scientists in those cities while the other cities either work riverside cottages/coastal tiles and/or produce axes.

I've built a few more workers and have started to connect our cities for the extra commerce from trade routes. We should be able to continue teching at a marginal pace and we have more than enough production potential to wipe out anybody now. The big question is, east or west?

Cyrus to the east is sending a settler through our lands. That always makes for a tempting target (although we have no counter to immortals right now). To the immediate west are Brennus and Hammurabi. Hammy is pretty peaceful and his bowmen are a pain to take down :( Brennus is ... well Brennus. He's a warmonger and we should prepare accordingly if we're going to attack him.

Techwise, I don't know what we want after writing. Sailing, alpha, math, IW are all techs we want...

Roster:
    shyuhe just played
    ungy - UP
    pigswill (on deck)
    tycoonist
    mystyfly

@mystyfly - we're at 42 pop now :lol: We're starting to grow very fast :D Sorry your set was so short though. I'll make sure your next set is longer.

Attached Files:

7. mystyfly

Nice to see us teching again :p

But I just don't understand why you built the henge. This makes absolutely no sense to me. We probabely could've gotten even IW with our deficit research but we get monuments in every city. All the cities we have now are +/- halfway done and new ones can whip them - to me gold would be way more important.

8. ungy

ungy Chieftain

OK- got it. I'll post something up later tonight or tomorrow.

Plan is get to writing then scout around for next victim--I guess we need to bulk up our economy a bit but it would be fun to see if we can do this without teching more than writing/sailing/AH. Sailing will get trade--maybe 10g/t or so, Ah will let us improve tiles and see horse--although we should be able to see the AI horse from the pasture anyway at this point.

9. ungy

ungy Chieftain

played part of the set but got too late--I'll have to finish tomorrow.

No disaster but not good.

10. ungy

ungy Chieftain

OK-all revved up to go but not sure where. better get OB first and scout around a bit.

Writing-sailing.

of our 3 neighbors only Cyrus will OB and Brennus reveals that he'll not be our next victim:

Alex reveals he'll also be around a while longer:

So it's Cyrus. He's got lots of rivers, which will keep our economy going.

We get riots and looting near Aachen:

Unfortunately we lose the quarry :(

Then some bad news from Cyrus:

That was quick he just hooked it up:

So it's on to Hammurabi. Guy doesn't like us anyway.

Sailing in--that helps a little. I research hunting--we'll get a happy from ivory and it's a prereq for AH.

1870 Tao founded and we get it soon after.

1820 Oracle and GW BIDL

I settle the GG in Cuzco--seems as good as anywhere.

1810 time to go for Hammurabi.

:(he whips a sword:

I guess the era of the quecha is winding down:(

hunting brings in a happy face.

Unfortunately offense was difficult as we had a hill city to start with and the bowmen/sword defense worked very effectively against our mostly quecha with some axes offense. So we aim for the mines and lure his units out of cities.

The Babylonian war is a long one, but eventually both mines are pillaged and 5 swords and 3 axes disposed of. Eight brave quechas make the ultimate sacrifice in the assault on Babylon. In 1590 the Babylonian civilization is no more.

Over to the next general:

11. ungy

ungy Chieftain

save is here:

Attached Files:

12. shyuhe

shyuhe Chieftain

:goodjob: ungy. Looking good.

Quechuas are going to be on the out soon. I think we'll have to start warring with axes soon (with spears for chariot cover). We may have to disband some of them depending on how much the Babylonian cities cost to maintain (Babylon shouldn't be so bad with the gems).

Brennus has decided to go after Fred so his border with us is fairly light now. Cyrus has iron and I can't tell what Justinian has. I think his borders are going to push up against the Babylonian cities though. I would much prefer to war west than east at this point (partly to keep Alex boxed in). But that's up for the next general to choose.

We are currently at 28.77% land, out of a total 452 tiles. I think we're around 130 tiles but that number will go up once the 2 new cities come out of revolt. I counted some of our interior tiles and it amounts to another 40ish tiles. So we need to get another 60 tiles for ourselves without completely killing our economy :lol: I think we can push a positive research at 10% though so we can still go after another civ :)

One thought is to stop the scientists in Aachen from producing a GS and allow Cuzco to create a GP. Then take over Justinian's Christian holy city and build the shrine. I think that will give us lots of land and pay for it as well. If only we could get Pacal's holy city, we could just go on a rampage from here on out...

Roster:
    shyuhe
    ungy just played
    pigswill - UP
    tycoonist (on deck)
    mystyfly

13. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Got it.

Not sure whether to go for Justinian or Brennus. Justinian is likely to be a bit easier. might use our next GG for a medic.

14. ungy

ungy Chieftain

I think we'll be OK on $.
    We're running in the black and we'll get some loot as well. Also cities will grow and we can work lots of ocean tiles.
    Babylonian cities should pay for themselves with gems and coast.

15. shyuhe

shyuhe Chieftain

I'm going out of town this weekend so I'll leave this game in the capable hands of my teammates :)

Roster:
    shyuhe
    ungy just played
    pigswill - UP (and posted got it)
    tycoonist (on deck)
    mystyfly

16. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

I've played.

The bare bones. Declared on Justinian 1560bc. Captured Thessalonica easily in 1540bc. Constantinople (40%,hill, 9 defenders) was a nightmare; didn't have enough units in the first attack. Eventually took it in 1260bc. Its got ToA, settled prophet, MI, Christian Holy City (no shrine). The bad news is that I've managed to lose 21 axes and 2 quechas.

I ran the GS to completion and settled him in Aachen. Also running a couple of scientists in Ulundi. We're just about positive at 0% research. We've learned AH and currently researching IW.

We've met Sitting Bull south west of Justinian-no-more.

17. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Couple of things to add.

I got a GG which I attached to a Quecha for a medic, with main stack in Constantinople.

I turned down a couple of requests to adopt state religion, can't remember who (and I'm posting from work).

Constaninople also has a goldmine which should help. I pillaged most of its improvements so they'll need rebuilding. 6 workers in Aachen available for this.

We could get IW in 7 turns with research at 20%, we can afford it and it may be worth doing to locate opponents resources.

With the wisdom of hindsight we need a stack of at least 20 axes (and a couple of spears) to take established cities.

Brennus is at war with Fred so he may make a good next target.

We're at 41% land, need 51% for domination so getting closer.

18. shyuhe

shyuhe Chieftain

Looks like we're hitting the home stretch here! I think another 2 civs should get us enough land for domination. It's nice to see that we're still teetering on economic collapse :lol:

I think Brennus looks like a good target next. His UU doesn't help him much and his cities are a little closer to ours (rather than heading west). Feel free to target somebody else if you want though. We should probably finish IW then turn off teching. We may need gold to survive the last stretch.

Roster:
    shyuhe
    ungy
    pigswill just played
    tycoonist - UP!
    mystyfly (on deck)

19. tycoonist

tycoonist Chieftain

as suggested i went after the celts. they had a whopping three cities so it took a while but they all crumbled eventually. i can't really be bothered to put in screenies, but i will give you some stats: we are on 47.5% requiring 51% and we have a city coming out of resistance next turn - i don't think we will need to conquer another enemy but feel free to do so. the army is parked in and around bibracte.

sorry for the rubbish report but i have just arrived back from NY and i haven't slept for 27 hours.

the save:

Attached Files:

20. mystyfly

got it....