My final huzzah

I'm wondering if we should go for stonehenge. Its four chops for an industrious leader (5 1/3 quechas) but it gives us instant culture in every city. We might however have left it a bit late.

it might make your turn a bit longer... anyway an monument is one whip in any size 2 or greater city, so it won't matter too much i shouldn't think

I don't think we should go for the henge. The payoff really isn't that great for the rush delay we get.

We should strike at Prague at least when its borders pop. I believe charlie didn't found any religion (not sure - ressource bubble in front of it :p) and both of his cities are on flatland so it shouldn't be that hard.

Nice choice of a victim ungy :lol: Good point on the promo line. It's been too long since I used quechuas to full effect. If we're going to build a barracks, chop it out. Otherwise it'll take too many turns. However I don't think a barracks is worth building until we get axes as we're basically suiciding quechuas right now to wear down defenders.

Since we're going wheel, pottery next sounds good. It'll help ensure we don't crap out our economy already (Aksum may want to build a worker after it gets a garrison unit to start cottaging some of its tiles). Charlie shouldn't be too hard to take out at this point as we can chop rush some quechuas to obtain the copper. Pottery will allow us to build a terrace to get the copper. I imagine Ramesses or Stalin will make a run at SH soon so it's probably not worth trying to chop out SH.

After pottery we can try chopping out the oracle in one of the forest heavy cities (Istanbul?) for CoL and run a SE (very viable given our conditions). I think we'll want caste system to speed border pops and it will allow us to hire merchants.

So I suggest: wheel --> pottery --> meditation --> priesthood
The problem is that we need to slot in writing at some point, either after pottery or after priesthood. I'm not sure what the state of our economy will be once Istanbul comes out of revolt (this is small so city maintenance spikes pretty fast). I think our research will slow down soon so writing after pottery may actually be faster to priesthood (using scientists).

Roster:
shyuhe
ungy just played
pigswill - UP
tycoonist (on deck)
mystyfly

Actually I think we should just keep rushing and skip things like terraces and wonders. We might just be able to do this with quechas.

I'd research AH next--we need to know where the horse is since that may determine our next victim--then pottery. As for COL and caste--I just don't think the game goes that long and I'd be really skeptical of our chance to get oracle--with no land what can the AI build but wonders?

We can hold a few more cities--then I think we have to start razing.

Obviously if SH is built capturing it becomes a priority.

I think that we should go for pottery before AH because we're going for early domination victory and that means territory which means cities which means city maintenance. Keep chopping out quechas but build some riverside cottages as we deforest.
We're also going to need culture from somewhere to pop borders. That's one to consider in the medium term but rushing with quechas before theystart running into axes sounds like the plan for the short term.

Played up to 2800bc.

Built quechas non stop, whipped a quecha in Istanbul and put overflow into worker (unfinished).

Went for pottery after wheel (4 turns at 100% science). Workers have connected gems at Cuzco, now building a mine.

Declared on Charlie in 2980. Captured Prague (1 archer) for the lost of 2 quecha and gain of 65 gold.

Aachen was looking tougher with 3 archers (protective but unpromoted, 20%def on plains). So waited a few and attacked with 9 quechas (v 4 archers). Lost 4 quecha but captured the city for 91 gold and a worker.

That's the end of the Holy Roman Empire.

We have 98 gold, running research 100% at -22gpt (2 unit cost, 12 city maintenance, 9 civix). On the other hand we now have six (small) cities. Edit: I don't count very well: '1 2 3 many' so its actually only 5 cities.

No wonders were built.

The vedic barbarians are having an uprising. Didn't spot them near us so hopefully they're somewhere else.

uh oh.... looks like our economy is on the verge of collapsing here... Our current income is 24 beakers (at 100%) and our expenses are 22 gold. We definitely need to regroup here before we go on accumulating more cities. We're at 9% land here and still have a long ways to go...

@ungy - this game will go long because we have to hit domination. If it were simple conquest, then we'd just raze our way. Although we could just raze the next victim and allow somebody else to plant some cities later. It'll give us plunder gold to get to pottery and writing.

Our land percentage will increase significantly when our cities get some culture and expand to bfc. Switching to cottages once pottery is in will help the economy.

Yes, but we need about 223 tiles to trigger domination. One complete bfc = 21 tiles so that's a minimum of 11 cities with no overlap. We own 41 tiles right now (~9%) and this will increase to 69 once the borders for all cities pop. That's still 1/3 :( Cottages should help us to get to writing, at which point we can try to sling CoL for caste system merchants.

Yes, but we need about 223 tiles to trigger domination. One complete bfc = 21 tiles so that's a minimum of 11 cities with no overlap. We own 41 tiles right now (~9%) and this will increase to 69 once the borders for all cities pop. That's still 1/3 :( Cottages should help us to get to writing, at which point we can try to sling CoL for caste system merchants.
well we can run deficits--we should be able to get $ in from loot.

I agree with cottaging but I still think it would be more interesting to stop with AH and just cottage and terrace our way to dom-- I mean we know we can do this, question is can we can we get dom without teching past AH?

We could also tech sailing and take OB for increased trade routes when the AI has writing.

:lol: It's your call tycoonist. I honestly don't mind we lose this game as long as we go down in flames.

Hitting domination with just AH is tough.... If we were allowed to settler spam, it'd be doable. But since we can't spam, I think we'll need CoL.

:lol: It's your call tycoonist. I honestly don't mind we lose this game as long as we go down in flames.

Hitting domination with just AH is tough.... If we were allowed to settler spam, it'd be doable. But since we can't spam, I think we'll need CoL.
I agree it may be tough--but we shouldn't lose--we can always disband a bunch of units and regroup. NP either way:)

Actually to fix our economy the tech we need is fishing.
Had we researched that before pottery we would have gotten an additional 20% discount on pottery. In any case, since we're financial, working a bare ocean tile at 1f3c is a lot better than a caste merchant. We can also optimize our tiles a bit as well.

I'd go for Moscow--that'll protect the copper from russian culture, get us a gold tile with a border pop, and there's likely seafood there so we can work lots of commerce (with fishing).

well i played and as promised was every bit as reckless and more!!!

finished teching pottery first, but that practically crashed our economy so the slider was set to 0% and a couple of "useless" quechuas were disbanded. however the best way to get the economy back on track, as anyone knows, is to brutally slaughter another empire at the hand of a quechua - and so it came to pass that Stalin received the knocking of a war hammer on his door:

hopefully this screenshot shows the state of our economy quite well: -1 at 0% :lol:

but everything cheered up next turn - not only did we capture Moscow, but we lost a quechua at the same time! less maintenance = good. pillage gold received:

i kept it and immediately whipped a monument - i want that gold online ASAP:

meanwhile, our quechuas headed over to St. Peters but couldn't resist some more pillage gold:

captured, razed and lost another quechua. yay!

eventually we reached St. Peters where we lost another two quechuas and took and auto-razed the city. brutal baby:

on the homefront we started and chopped stonehenge a little. i don't think we should complete it but the gold would be nice.....

despite all of my best efforts to lower our attack force, our power graph still grew. :lol:

a couple of cottages are being built and fishing is being teched (very slowly)

Attachments

• Huzzah BC-2575.CivBeyondSwordSave
    142.9 KB · Views: 133
I thougt BUG was banned, tycoonist??

Anyway, I've got it. I'll try to finish Fishing&Shaka asap, goldmine at Moscow will surely help there.

:nono: :nono: :nono: :mad: You weren't supposed to play with BUG tycoonist! Oh well, what is done is done...

I think we should push the slider to 90% and try to get fishing ASAP (5 turns). We can pillage a few improvements lying around. Also, we need to lay off the whip a bit to let our cities grow. As it is, they're too small to provide much free maintenance of our units. Bigger cities = more free units allowed. And we need to build cottages on the riverside tiles, not on flat grasslands (for the financial bonus to kick in).

It just occurred to me that if we finish off Shaka by razing his last city, there's a decent chance that a barb city will spawn in the fog somewhere to the SE. Although the bigger problem may be fielding enough quechuas to actually take his city (it's on a hill). Perhaps we should just go pillage a bit.

4 down, 13 left!

Roster:
shyuhe (on deck)
ungy
pigswill
tycoonist taking a TO for using BUG
mystyfly - UP

because it causes the game to crash whenever someone without BUG opens the turn log.

well now I'm somewhat relieved that I'm not the only one who forgets to turn BUG off...

Top Bottom