My first Prince game is looking a bit grim

jmrathbun

Warlord
New to CIV 5, I got Augustus Caesar for my first Warlord game (conquest) and now I'm struggling to find a winning line in my first Prince game.

I got five cities settled fairly quickly and then identified Elizabeth, my northern neighbor, as the one I needed to beat first. Her longbows were tough, and by the time I had her four cities under my belt, Napoleon was pulling ahead.

He and I are by far the strongest, followed by Alexander, who's on the other continent. Napoleon's military is tough enough that I don't fancy taking him on, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him crossing my border any day now. What's worse, he just finished the Manhattan Project, and I have no clue how to defend against a nuclear attack in this game.

Eying a science victory now, I'm wondering if I have a realistic chance. I hope to make the switch to rationalism in a few moves; happiness problems have kept me from switching before now. I'm starting to prioritize science buildings. I could use more gold, more culture, more production... you name it!

I've attached links below. Turn 380 is my current situation. Thanks in advance for any gentle guidance available.

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    464.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Hiawatha_0100 BC-0375.Civ5Save
    830.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Hiawatha_0200 AD-1400.Civ5Save
    1 MB · Views: 49
  • Hiawatha_0300 AD-1860.Civ5Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
  • Hiawatha_0380 AD-1960.Civ5Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 86
From my experience, the AI doesn't tend to nuke unless it's in danger of annihilation or you nuke first. So you should be safe from nukes. If Nappy declares war on you, you should be able to resist him with a smaller army if you fight tactically. Set up a fort or two around your border cities, set up artillery on hills, and slowly whittle his force down. Let him make the first move, and once he's exhausted his army, attack.

1) Why did you change the names of your cities? I'm so confused! I guess that's my personal peeve.
2) I suggest you start building defensive military and move your troops south to Kaleb Seleh (sp?) to deflect the inevitable French army. You have the technology to deflect Napoleon. Your production focus should solely be fighting the French.
3) Don't worry about your happiness, it's fine! Switch to building infantry/artillery and spend some of that GPT on surviving! It's time to go on an offensive and claim your continent!

I'm not looking at saves anymore, I want pictures.

On Prince, you should've had GDR's romping around by now.

New to CIV 5, I got Augustus Caesar for my first Warlord game (conquest) and now I'm struggling to find a winning line in my first Prince game.

I got five cities settled fairly quickly and then identified Elizabeth, my northern neighbor, as the one I needed to beat first. Her longbows were tough, and by the time I had her four cities under my belt, Napoleon was pulling ahead.

I can't look at the game right now, but in general you can play peacefully on prince level (unless you want domination victory of course). You don't NEED to fight wars to succeed. A small but tall empire can be very successful!

Don't fight wars, unless there's a very good reason :)

I appreciate the input so far. Now I have a new concern. There are 14 city-states on the map and ALL are allied with Greece. Is there a way to defend against Alexander's diplomatic victory?

I appreciate the input so far. Now I have a new concern. There are 14 city-states on the map and ALL are allied with Greece. Is there a way to defend against Alexander's diplomatic victory?

No, its why Greece is one of the best civs, they can use that army of city states anyway they want, including the easy diplomatic win.

You can't mean the game is so busticated that the only way to win is as Alexander! What if I capture his capitol? Does that put him out of the running or do I then have to defend it until I get my spaceship launched?

You can't mean the game is so busticated that the only way to win is as Alexander! What if I capture his capitol? Does that put him out of the running or do I then have to defend it until I get my spaceship launched?

Either you make sure you destroy Alexander (Not just his capital, but rout his entire empire), or you take one of the other victory conditions before he can pull off the diplomatic victory. You can still win over the influence of the city states, but it'll cost you. A lot.

He just got to the Modern Era on turn 397. I wonder how long it will take him to get the U.N. built? Would Napoleon be stupid enough to build the U.N. under these circumstances? If I build the U.N., can I avoid calling an election (as in CIV 4)?

I think you are forced to vote, once UN is built and 10 turns have passed since then.

Building UN yourself will only take away one bonus vote (from the wonder) from Alex and give it to you. If he is allied with all city-states than the only ways to prevent him from winning are destroying him, winning yourself before UN voting or stockpiling ungodly amounts of gold and bribing enough city states so he won't win.

My heart was in my mouth with only two other civs left on the board at move 473 and Napoleon's army poised on my borders and twice as powerful. I concealed my intent by not adding spaceship components until the last move. I didn't get Augustus Caesar for this one but victory is sweet even if you're only Marcus Aurelius. Alexander never got the U.N. built and Napoleon didn't have aluminum. :lol:

Now I'm off to explore Endless Space... so to quote Douglas Adams, "So long, and thanks for all the fish!"

Attachments

• Hiawatha_0473 AD-2036-July.Civ5Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
Top Bottom