(My first SG)For newbies

Hey it just a game relax , and regular SG game does'nt say you can't learn from him .
Even I'm always trying to beat Emperor , I believe I can still do some mistakes and I hope someone will see them ( cody can ;) ) and will give a "fix" .

Okay , I'll play my turnset today . after 15-30 mins I guess . I want to download Snoopy's GraphicMod for civ3 vanilla . and then to play it .

*dances* School's out, so now I have lots of time for this and SCHOOL'S OUT so now I can do other STUUUUUF!!!! *flips over* YAY ok random and off topic. *sigh*

Okay I've played my 15 turnset and detailed it as I could ;) :

Turn 1 - Realize our Warrior near Aztec's Capital so I decide send him out from their borders. Scout keep exploring SE side . NY was producing a Worker in "1 turn" but I changed it to Warrior since our next growth will be in 5 turns so its impossible to finish the worker in 1 turn. I sent the Warrior of NY toward Aztec's borders.

Turn 2 - Aztec asks to send home our troops and it's done as she wanted.
NY: Warrior --> rax the warrior sent to the borders too .
The barracks building in Washington changed to Granary since we already have a low grow and barrack won't do better.
Science drop 10% and it's still 1 turn for WC in +1gpt . I can see river with FloodPlain and gold on hills . I think it's a good spot to settle .
the Scout discover new borders ( I think it's the Iroquies ) .

Turn 3 - worker finishes the road to silks :D ( more happiness ) .
WC researched --> The Wheel in 7turns on 90% science +0gpt
I prefer The Wheel because we are too far from aztecs to send Swordmen , I prefer Horses
I can realize that the southern Coast seperates between us and the "Undiscovered" civ

Turn 4 - Worker mines the Irrigated tile . Granary in 2 turns :D
the Scout finally can see that the mystirial borders belong to Iroquois.
I've a deal with them :

I prefer to pay 8 gold instead of giving the 2 techs for Alphabet and 25gold
Who knows maybe they'll have more gold soon and techs that we'll can trade for.
I think we need more workers ASAP so I prefer to leave the rax working in NY later , and build a worker in 3 turns .

Turn 5 - nothing special , Washington Granary in 1turns and grow to 3 in 1turn.

Turn 6 - Worker finishes to mine. Granary completed and Washington is now on size 3 and we already have 6shields. I move him to the BG .
and Washington builds an Archer in 2 turns.

Turn 7 -
NY: Worker --> rax . since NY has no BG's I move worker to work tile @ river .
The warrior that sent home from Aztecs discovers a Goodyhut ( Curious ).
worker roads the BG .
I deal with Aztecs , I give them Mysticism for The Wheel + 10gold ( it does'nt cost much for us since Mysticism is'nt expensive tech ) . And we're researching horseback riding since I see horses near NY ( horseback riding in 9 turns )

Turn 8 - Washington: Archer --> Settler in 3 turns , and city grow in 3turns .
the Goodyhut gave us execllent view ( expansion ) . Archer sent to Aztec's borders.

Turn 9 - Worker finishes the BG road and mine it . our scout meets Iroqious scout , that means the Coast does'nt seperate us from them . I've free Warrior near Aztecs I send him to explore more northen.

Turn 10 - The northen Warrior discovers a Goodyhut . NY's worker finishes road a mining it. nothing intresting .

Turn 11 - Washington: Settler --> rax . Sent settler SE to settle on gold because it's far enough from our capitol, and it'll capture BG tile after expanding .
we've IW from northen Goodyhut by northen warrior :goodjob: .
another warrior discovers more horses and goodyhut :D
and we've Iron in our borders and southern more iron :D

Turn 12 - worker finished to mine the BG and goes to road and chop the forest with the Game. northen warrior see Incense on desert but it's too far from us .
Congratulations! I see the Aztec Jaguar and Settler with him , it'll be their 2nd city .

Turn 13 - NY's worker finishes his job and going to road the horses .
I've a wildguess ^_^ they'll settle near the Wheat , and if we capture it , it'll be a gift ( the defender is a poor Jaguar Warrior ). Oh! another warrior moves approach their borders and see another Jaguar warrior with settler :eek: .
I think it's Settlers day , our scout explored to Iroqious borders and see undefended Settler. Our Warrior steps to the Goodyhut and gets Mathematics !!!

Turn 14 - you won't believe it, northen warrior see another Goodyhut.
Aztec's 2nd city settled along the Coast near Incense .
Science drop to 40% and it's still 1turn with +4gpt
both workers start roading .

Turn 15 - Horseback riding , we're now researching Writing on 70% with +1gpt in 12turns
Washington: rax --> Settler in 3 turns , and city grows in 2 turns.
Our settler is on his positions and he settles our 3rd city "American Gold Factory" .
City already produces 5commerce . and builds a worker in 5 turns ( city grows in 5 too)
northen warrior steps to the Goodyhut and we've Polytheism :goodjob:

Well is now turn 16, but choxorn is next to play it .
summarize screenie :

Notes * I think we should settle some city along the Coast ( we want Curragh to meet more civs ) . I think we can settle our next city northen or SW , northen is'nt the best because there's too much jungle.
Try to check the Iroqious every turn , they might have something for us .
Another thing , start to preparing to war with the Aztecs , we want their Territory, and they're not that usefull and strong .
***** keep our "northen warrior" to explore more , he would find more goodyhuts with technologies :lol:

Attachments

• Pequenino2550BC.SAV
    71.6 KB · Views: 155
Yeah We've school untill 21june too . and the time here is 23:54 now I'm in +2gmt .
from where are you ?

teammates read my turnset and post some suggesstions if it's needed.

Nice turnset!:)

So we r pretty much on a medium-sized continent, with 2 other civs, and both of them don´t look like they have a strong military. Most probable thing is that they´ll be done w/ before Medieval.:D :D I agree with goodsmell on the settling, i don´t like the North much (too many jungle squares, and we have already secured one of the silks within our borders), but i see some Incense that´d i would like to get my hands (so we need to deal with the Aztecs before THEY get to it). Settling South is a better option if we want to play a passive game (for now......;) :p ), and i see a couple of gold mountains, and some iron (really need to get our hands on THAT!!!:D ). I wouldn´t worry about the Iroquois too much though, as soon as we destroy the Aztecs, we can just settle a few cities along the mountain range that divides their land an ours, and isolate them from our half of the continent until we go to war with them.

EDIT: Any chance we can finish Writing before starting the war??? that way we could build an embassy with Iroquois, and try to sing a military alliance with them, against Aztecs
Roster:
Pequenino-Learning the basics..lol
goodsmell-Just played
choxorn-UP
yagtag7-On Deck
cody_the_genius-gettin´anxious:D
Little Corporal-..somewhere:cool:
WilliamOfOrange-Still lookin´for version 1.29f:D :D

Dang, our school is out on June 1st.

First of all, the first cities are way too spread apart. CxxC or CxxxC is a good rule of thumb for city placement, C = city, x = tile. American Gold Factory should be one tile to the west.

Also, each city should have a unit or two defending it, in case of attack. The AI usually doesn't give a crap about reputation, and isn't afraid to just march into your territory and take the city.

Good job exploring. Early exploration is important so we can meet as many civs as possible, and see what kind of terrain we're dealing with here.

Maybe we can get gma or Whomp or vmxa or someone to further critique the turnsets, to give you guys as much experience as we can. :)

Got it. My school is also out on June 21st. (come on, just 19 more school-days left... :sad:) I'll try to play and post, but don't expect my log before tommorow morning. I live in -8 GMT timezone, and it's currently about 6:40 here.

PS:
about Pequino's screenie question, did you remember to put "http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads11/" before the name of your screenie?

Yeah maybe you right , I was confused for a minute where to settle, finally did it on the Gold , one side we won't have anything besides Gold if mining . but I still could settle it on CxxC. yeah and if you'll bring Whompy or anyone gma vmxa , it would be nice . I think for Regent level they've no problems :) :D

Now when I think about the exploration , with the Goodyhuts . I could to not research Writing to get it for free from the Goodyhut , because Goodyhut does'nt give a tech you are researching :\

cody_the_genius said:
Dang, our school is out on June 1st.

First of all, the first cities are way too spread apart. CxxC or CxxxC is a good rule of thumb for city placement, C = city, x = tile. American Gold Factory should be one tile to the west.

Also, each city should have a unit or two defending it, in case of attack. The AI usually doesn't give a crap about reputation, and isn't afraid to just march into your territory and take the city.

Good job exploring. Early exploration is important so we can meet as many civs as possible, and see what kind of terrain we're dealing with here.

Maybe we can get gma or Whomp or vmxa or someone to further critique the turnsets, to give you guys as much experience as we can. :)
From my understanding of CxxxC, I think gold factory is in it, since its four tiles from New York(counting the city tile itself.)
The terrain seems pretty nasty to me, lots of jungle and desert!
Another thing, do we really want to take out the Aztecs yet? If we go over to conquer them and neglect our expansion, the Iroqouis could outexpand us, or at least get a bit of an edge. I say we should focus on our own expansion, let the Aztecs build us some cities, and then we take them for ourselves.

goodsmell said:
Yeah maybe you right , I was confused for a minute where to settle, finally did it on the Gold , one side we won't have anything besides Gold if mining . but I still could settle it on CxxC. yeah and if you'll bring Whompy or anyone gma vmxa , it would be nice . I think for Regent level they've no problems :) :D
I've downloaded your save, though I haven't yet looked at it. I haven't played vanilla for almost 1 1/2 years. Some things are similar, but some are very different. Whomp is out of town until Sunday. I think vmxa has kept up with vanilla from looking at other people's saves.

One thing I've noticed without looking at the save is there's been no discussion of RCP (Ring City Placement). You can greatly reduce corruption in your cities by placing them in rings around your capitol at exactly the same distance. For example, your first ring may have all settlements at 4 tiles away, and the next ring all the towns at 7 away from the capitol.

The Forbidden Palace (FP) acts like a second capitol and corruption is reduced by placing towns in similar rings, so you end up with two productive cores. Generally the FP is built quite a ways away from your capitol so that the 2 sets of rings have little (if any) overlap.

They did away with RCP in Conquests, but it's very powerful in vanilla and PTW. It's a fairly complicated thing to learn, but I believe there's an article about it in the War Academy. I remember just enough about it to give just a bit of guidance if you're interested, but it has to be planned out in advance with dot maps. I'll look at the save to see if it's still possible to do.

I took a look at the save. Are you playing with accelerated production (AP) turned on? The city view shows that it only takes 15 shields to build a settler and 5 shields for a worker...normally it's double that.

RCP isn't possible, because New York is at distance 4 and American Gold is at distance 5, so you'll want to go for Optimal City Placement (OCP).

You have 3 cities and are building your 3rd worker, so I think it's a good thing that you aren't neglecting them.

I can't really make many comments, because I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking at with the shield production halved. If it is AP, you should be aware that it was designed for multi-player games...human against human...and I've never tried that. It's said to be unbalancing in games against the AI.

I wish I could give better help. Maybe vmxa can do more. Good luck, guys!!! :)

I saw something wierd with production everything too fast :D
We also have a lot jungle northen our capitol , that's bad .
We don't have much awesome settle spots especialy north . we can settle on pretty nice spots but it's too far from the capitol and the corruption will be much higher .

So pequenino did you ran an AP ? if you did we still can start a new one , but if you wish to procceed this one , I've no problems but I never tried it too .

@choxorn: No, I didn´t :lol: :lol: :lol:......but if lurkers don´t mind, i still find it easier to just attach the pix :D
@goodsmell/gmaharriet: Yeah, AP is on.........I always turn it on when playing against AI, so I don´t find it unbalancing. But if u guys wanna start a new game without it, i have no qualms :D :D (Just tell me ASAP, so that i can post some new starts, and get my turnset as fast as possible, so we don´t slow the SG too much:D)

EDIT: Since goodsmell isn´t too experienced with AP, gma thinks we u should change it too, and Little Corporal basically things its stupid:D..........i´ll post some starts now, and probably play my turnset tonight(it´s 15:15 here). I´ll log back online at 9 pm, and see what start u guys choose, and then play my turnset.

BTW, cody (or gma).....since u r more experienced, would u mind creating a dotmap, after i post my save, so next player knows where to locate cities?????????

Top Bottom