1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nagas (Lamia)

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Unit Graphics' started by Nomad or What, May 12, 2014.

1. Nomad or What

Nomad or What Wayfarer Supporter

It is done but it is a very limited unit. Riders for other mounts would require specialized animations particular to that mount because the rider animations for this unit are designed for the bird. You could re-skin another rider but not another mount unless it used the same bones as the bird unit. :(

2. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

Just look at the rats in my Units thread. Granted, they don't look great at high scale, but they work for what they're meant for, and that was a very rushed job.
    Heck, the existing dragon's animations look quite similar to ispanets' Eagle.

3. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

There is something very weird going on when they attack cities. The sword swinging animation plays and then a whole load of fireballs come in from a completely different tile!

You can see (one of) the fireballs coming in from the south-east, just above the whale icon

It originated from the tile bottom right - which is even weirder as that's two tiles out from the city!

Any graphic experts any idea how to fix this?

Attached Files:

4. Nomad or What

It is not from the graphic but instead from the ArtDefines - or in this case the lack thereof. What you are seeing is a "flaming arrow" effect as you would see if you were attacking with a warrior or archer (the fire emitting from their weapons). Since this uses custom animations they do not seem to work properly. That is the "why" but unfortunately I do not know the "how" when it comes to fixing it. :confused:

My focus is on importing the graphics with the hopes that other modders could figure out the mechanics. So the actual xml files for these units aren't designed to do anything other than display the unit in-game within the defines of the .fxsxml file. I should have made that disclaimer when I started the thread. :blush:

5. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

Yep, read that in post #14, hence the general request to "any graphic experts"

6. Nomad or What

Truth be told, I figured if anyone could figure out what the devil is going on with them, it would be you :D. Your mods can do some pretty amazing stuff! :hatsoff:

7. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

One thing I notice with your animations is that the units are often lacking attack city animations. You might want to do those, assuming you actually pick which animations you convert;). If you just convert all the animations you can find, then never mind.

8. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

Unit graphics and animations are a complete mystery to me - I can use other people's .fsxml et al files, but that's where my knowledge ends

9. Nomad or What

Most Civ IV units that are converted using their custom animations (i.e., they are non-humanoid and therefore can't be rigged to a Civ V skeleton or otherwise have custom features) have no specific city attack animation. I am left only with the existing .kf files from the original unit. Usually that consists of the following 9 animations:

Idle
    Fidget
    Fortify
    Fortify_Idle
    Run
    Strike
    Hurt
    Die
    Die_Fade

There may be a Fidget_B, Strike_B, Idle_B, etc. but nonetheless I have to map these actions to the .fxsxml file the best I can. I always assign the Strike animation to be the city attack (which use the 1160 and 1180 codes, I believe). Feel free to tweak this file to suit your needs. :D

So, in response to your request, I always convert EVERY animation file that comes with the unit, whether I actually use them or not. Why? Because maybe someone will find a need for them. For example, I converted all 8 Bird Rider animations but only used 6 in the .fxsxml file because Fade_In and Fade_Out are not used in Civ V. But if someone can find a use for them, then I make them available for their use. So, alas, since Civ IV units don't have a separate city attack animation they have to use one of the existing ones available. :sad:

10. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

Huh. I never realized that civ4 didn't have attack city. I want to try assigning the flaming arrow effect to the strike animation, might make for a good magical attack animation if they hold on to their swords.
    But great work Nomad, I'm not complaining about your stuff:D.

PS: TPangolin needs Camel Gunners for his upcoming Afghanistan civ, any chance you could? I tried, but still can't do anims properly:(.

11. Nomad or What

I saw it as a constructive criticism, which to me is a good thing. :)

Besides, you should complain! I am a perfectionist so that means I will just try to do it better and get it right! :lol:

12. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

OK. Any luck on the dragon yet?

13. Nomad or What

Ugh. No, that one has been plaguing me for 2 years now. It is the reason why I quit trying to do unit conversions the last time I tried in 2012. I guess I should have started with something easier, eh? :rolleyes:

14. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

Probably. I just had some serious :wallbash:, I was trying to rig Deliverator's Griffon to Kwadjh's drake animations. The wings flapped and all, but the head and legs did stuff you don't want to see before a meal.

15. Nomad or What

I totally understand. Took me forever to make the Werewolf workable to Jaguar animations. Even if you look closely at the finished product at large scale (or view in Nexus) his feet and arms are still a bit...warped. Play the animations in Nexus - he be freakin' out, 'mon! :crazyeye:

16. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

Yeah...but if it's good ingame, who cares?

Do you mind if I try to help with the Dragon? Well, more like run through the converting process my own way and compare results? I'd need a bit of help with some things though.

17. Nomad or What

Be my guest - I gave up when Deliverator said he couldn't figure it out, either. That trumps my hand, I'm quittin' while I'm ahead. You gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em! :cowboy:

18. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

Is there anyway to rotate the model 90 degrees to its left (if that makes sense) at least that way the fireballs when attacking a city might come from the direction of the unit and not "out of thin air"

19. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

Nomad, I've gotten animations looking good in Granny. So far. If he ever is finished I suggest making him very, very big to account for his slowness in falling when dying.

20. Nomad or What

That is a good question and my initial answer is that I don't believe so. They would just import in the wrong orientation - which would be kinda cool if you wanted slithering sidewinder nagas, but wouldn't solve the fire arrow issue.

Perhaps you could just delete the following animation graph from the .fxsxml file:

<AnimGraph file="ATTACK_CITY_TO_RUN_CHARGE_SHUFFLE.dge"/>

Combat units have this attribute, but workers (for example) don't. My guess is that if you do this, one of four things will happen:

1. It creates an error
    2. Nothing
    3. It doesn't allow the unit to attack a city
    4. It works

Duh, a lot of help I am! :blush:

But, if you are curious you can give it a shot.