Names, Part Three: Still Lots of Suggestions to Vote on!

What should our game be called?

• Powerseeker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Grand Designs

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • One Turn Deserves Another

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Cultural Evolution

• Quest for Power

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A Time of Domination

• Struggle to Power

• Mankind - World Domination

• Epic History

• From Polis to Ecumenopolis

• Dominance

• Prosperity

• Society

• Advancement

• Reigns of Power

• Magnum Opus

• Reins of Power

• Flint & Steel

• Rocks to Rockets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Holocene

• Meghalayan

• Seven Millenia

• After the Dawning

• Time is Man Made

• Sieve Theory

• Polity

• Barbarism

• The Winnowing

• C7

• Ecumenopolis

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Quintillus

Archiving Civ3 Content
Supporter
This is part three of the naming poll. I decided to just create threads for all the nominations rather than waiting for the last one to expire.

Jungle primary. More options in this one (it finishes off the nominations) so I'll tweak it so the top 8 advance. That will give us 18 quarterfinalists, which we can gradually narrow down more.

Why not just Ecumenopolis? ^^
(from Polis to Ecumenopolis probably was suggested by me, but along with shorter, catchier versions)

Polis alone most likely is taken, and we should be a bit more high-brow with vocabulary anyway.

"Grand Designs" could work too (iirc also suggested that), but it would need flare to back it (as alone it is calling for attention)

I like Seven Millenia too, but it has the same issue as Grand Designs (needs immediate backing with catchy gfx/trailer etc)

So I'd vote for Ecumenopolis. Elegant, learned, and hipstery enough to allow for some forgiving start (indie-production).

Last edited:
Why not just Ecumenopolis? ^^
(from Polis to Ecumenopolis probably was suggested by me, but along with shorter, catchier versions)

Polis alone most likely is taken, and we should be a bit more high-brow with vocabulary anyway.

"Grand Designs" could work too (iirc also suggested that), but it would need flare to back it (as alone it is calling for attention)

I like Seven Millenia too, but it has the same issue as Grand Designs (needs immediate backing with catchy gfx/trailer etc)

So I'd vote for Ecumenopolis. Elegant, learned, and hipstery enough to allow for some forgiving start (indie-production).
Manual parsing error of the suggestions :). I have added Ecumenopolis and enabled changing your votes, should you like to change your vote to it.

I think it needs more than just 1 word. Though Ecumenopolis sounds good. I don't really like Reins of Power or Reigns of Power because it sounds like a TV show. I quite like After the Dawning. Sounds mysterious but specific enough.

- It can be one word, if the word covers all bases.
- Ecumenpolis, I think many people have no idea what it means and the goal really isnt to build one megacity, is it?

I don't really like Reins of Power or Reigns of Power because it sounds like a TV show
Do you mean a specific show, or a show that could exist?
- Ecumenpolis, I think many people have no idea what it means and the goal really isnt to build one megacity, is it?
Admittedly I had to look it up as well, the "polis" part was easy enough but my Greek was not good enough for "ecumeno". I guess that's what happens when you only take one semester of etymology and it covers as many Latin roots sa it does Greek!

Whether your goal is to build one megacity depends on whether your are playing One City Conquest, or going for a one-city 20K victory. Although I suppose Civ3 gets closer to a world-spanning city than real life does regardless, with its proclivity for cities everywhere and chopping down all the forests.

None of the above. These polls are not publicised enough - I missed the previous two!

Cid Meyer's Civilized Nation Tree

Seriously though, in general I like something simple and grandiose in keeping with the name Civilization. In that vein my favorites are Epic History, Holocene, Polity, Statecraft, Cultures, and simply Nation. Plus OTDA because it's a great pun and appropriate metaphor.

Also, given the proliferation of obvious franchise clones with no sign of squashing, I wonder if my fear of "civ" is overblown. If that's indeed a non-issue, the name "ReCiv" seems fitting: similar to FreeCiv and denoting a remake.

*grumble grumble*

An idea struck me - how about Absolute Hegemony? It's unique enough, doesn't have anything trademarkable in it, and should be web-searchable. It gets at the many ways to win and the main goal: establishing your dominance

New proposal. Bear with me here. Still C's but more palatable.

What about something of the form "C & C"? It's a common title format (Things and Things), it makes for a quick abbreviation, the "C" relates it to Civ, and it would be a nice homage to this community. The downside is that C&C specifically is already associated with Command and Conquer, so the abbreviation shouldn't be the main term we'd use.

Barring "civilization" and "conquest" I noted the following relevant words:
Cities
Citizens
Cultures
Countries
Civics
Centuries

There are a few good combos there, but of those I think I like "Civics and Centuries": it rolls off the tongue, the matching soft Cs are a contrast to the other C&C, Civics especially hints at Civ while avoiding trademarks, and together the words capture the scope of the game.

Top Bottom