1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Naming the first city

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game: Polls' started by Octavian X, Jan 17, 2006.

?

What should we name the capitol? [b](PLEASE READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE VOTING!)[/b]

Poll closed Jan 20, 2006.
  1. Boaring Wallow

36.0%
  2. Deltopolis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Bahir Dar

24.0%
  4. Centralia

6.0%
  5. Duat

4.0%
  6. Alletra

8.0%
  7. A Wolfton

4.0%
  8. Airstrip 1

8.0%
  9. <<Game Default>>

6.0%
  10. <<None of these>>

2.0%
  11. <<Abstain>>

2.0%
  1. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

It's that time of the year! This poll shall decide the name of our beloved yet-to-be-founded capitol city. This is an official poll that will run for 3 days; however, given that the game session is less than 24 hours away, the city will be named based on which option has the most votes when the session begins. If the result changes after the session when the poll officially closes, the capitol will be renamed appropriately.

Here are some relevant discussions, from which city names were culled:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=154235
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=154185

Boaring Wallow
    Deltopolis
    Bahir Dar
    Centralia
    Duat
    Alletra
    A Wolfton
    Airstrip 1
    <<Game Default>>
    <<None of these>>
    <<Abstain>>

Some notes: PLEASE READ BEFORE VOTING!
    Selecting <<Game Default>> is a vote for the suggested city name that CIV gives you when you found a city.

Selecting <<None of these>> is a vote against all city names. Should this option win, the poll will be redone with additional names given.

<<Abstain>> is a the normal abstain option.

2. Swissempire

Swissempire Poet Jester

I will as unoffical name officer post a short description for each city name(hopefully)

Boaring Wallow- Idiot Partee supported choice relating to the pigs near our postion and the water around us( if an idiot pm's me i will make this better)

Deltopolis- Since our city sits on a delta of a river that may play a huge part in the game, this name is in honor of that

Bahir Dar- Historical city whose geography matches ours almost perfectly

Centralia- Since the capital is the center of our government and empire throughout the game, this is a name suitable to that

Duat- The heavenly/ perfect place of egyptian religion. Everything that we hope our capital should be

Alletra- (coming soon)

A Wolfton- A name immortalizing the name of one of our founding fathers, who played a large postive roll in building and shaping our demogame, but was then seduced by the seductress known as power and became corrupt

Airstrip 1- the name of britain in the holy book of the party(or somehting like that. can someone correct me if i'm wrong)

And the rest are explained by octavain. PM me or post if you would like yours, your parties changed :)

3. Sigma

Sigma Censor

A little bit more information about the name Bahir Dar (copied from name discussion thread):

There's no reason why we shouldn't take a more historical path. What we do would certainly not be exactly the same as known history, but we can think of it in terms of an "alternate history", where history veers off course, and leads to a totally different future. It makes it feel more "real", but at the same time allows us to shape it how we want. It would allows us to answer the question, "What would the Egyptians do if they founded their empire right next to the Aztec, Americans, and Japanese?" (for example). It's also better for RP'ing.

Also, it should be noted that the city of Bahir Dar is *NOT* in Egypt - it is actually in Ethiopia (but near Egypt). It would be interesting to think about what would happen if the Egyptians founded their civilization further up the Nile...

4. Swissempire

Swissempire Poet Jester

If you wish to vote borh historical AND creative, Duat offers a comprimise and has a catchy name!

5. Daghdha

Daghdha Absent Minded

Please note: In the poll it says "Boaring Willow" when it's actually (as in Octavians post) "Boaring Wallow".

6. Tubby Rower

Tubby Rower Chronic Slacker

Nope that is just about it.

BTW, it's Boaring Wallow with an A not an I. Can a mod please fix this?

Fixed. -- Chieftess

7. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

i dont really mind tbh, bahir dar sounds most realistic