Napoleonic Europe

An idea I have had was to make France and Britain able to make peace but to script many occurrences that would cause war between them.
Such as: Whenever France declares war on anyone, England declares war on France (if England is AI controlled)
Such rules as these are easily scriptable in python.

Historicaly there WAS one major peace (1804/1805 "Peace of Amien" ENgland was the "archenemy of France" and was constantly organizing alliances against France which I have been totally unable to do. The situation AlazkanAssassin describes might work unless England is a player contolled country.

ALso just saw a strange "bug" Offered me ALL the tech advances a one turn each; and followed through. Do have a saved game if someone wants it.

sokar: I'll do a few tests to see what happens if france & gbr can make peace. And what about an event ala Hearts of Iron, which would give the player the option of a) declaring war or b) getting 3 :mad: in every city until france makes peace or gbr & fra are at war? And other different events for creating those alliances against france (join & get x gpt from GBR or get -5 relations with everyone, that sort of thing) & other important events.

And techs can't be traded. I've got all techs as non-tradable, no tech gives the ability to trade techs and I've got the no tech trading gameoption locked on. So if you can trade techs, something is wrong ;)

Did not "trade" techs, got them for 1 game turn each. Swear I did not mess with the files. I do not know how. DO have a saved game file. WAs playing Britain. Had factories in all British cities.

Historically Britain funded the various alliances with large amounts of gold. I managed to accumulate the gold but could never "buy" an alliance. Can an alliance be "Against" one nation and not others?

I do like this mod. WHy is it Europe only? Might be amusing to have North AMerica and SPanish Empire in play. Lot more work for you tho.

How about an early Napoleonic scenario====> The Revolution SPreads

The French armies are spreading the Rights of Man ( a new religion) and destabilizing other nations. LOT of antagonizm between those countres trhat are monarchies and those taht are not.

I'd prefer it if Britain and France couldn't make peace, its better that way and more historically accurate.

I have no particular problem with Britain and France locked in war. Much mor bothered by Britains inability to set up alliances with Austria, Prussia, Russia and Sweden. The core of Napoleonic activity was the series of "Coalitions" that Britain financed with millions of pounds to fight Napoleon. Could not do any of that. For a couple thousand gold, I should have been able to get Austra, Prussia or Russia to declare war. About 1804, Bernadotte, a FRench Marchall became ruler of Sweden; there ought to be some probability that he backed Napoleon but historically he joined the later coalitions against France; with lots of English gold.

That's the stupid AI of civ4 for ya... In civ3 the possibility of bribing the AI was there, now the option is just red & unselectable :(

Any SDK coders out there? Anyone know any SDK coders I could contact for help?

dunno any coders. : /
btw sokar, bernadotte became crown prince of sweden later than 1804, it was after napoleon had had enough of him :p
More around 1812-1813 I think. Then the swedish ruler died, and bernadotte was the heir, so...

I paid to get Spain involved in a war with ottomans, rather cheaply too 200 gold. That must be because they are very weak. Which is good.

How does one add new/additional music to a scenario? Sorry for the newbie question. :)

(Edit -- the question has more to do with how to create an mp3 file with Windows Media player. I did find where the music files were located... finally. I guess it's never too late to learn.)

I'd prefer it if Britain and France couldn't make peace, its better that way and more historically accurate.

As a player, there ought to be a way to have periods of peace, although I agree in this scenario England and France would not allow peace to last very long. The reason why I think there ought to be some periods of peacetime is to allow both CIV's a chance to capitalize on good relations elsewhere and form alliances -- and I mean BOTH France and England, not just the coalition ganging up on France as the only possible outcome. The other problem I run into is the mounting discontent of the population for being locked in war for so many turns. You need some time to recover from that, correct?

In my current game as Britain, I have surrounded all of the French ports to stop any ships leaving the city. I after much fighting captured 4 French cities near the coast. I finished Holland off and took it's only city a vassal of France. I'm still so far currently engaged in warfare with the French. It seems to be a lengthy process as the French resistance is tough. But my plan is to take all of France. I can't make peace with France so it'll fall eventually.
Problems were the city of caen swapped hands afew times because I didn't have the right troops stationed there. Culture boarder with Germany is causing Amsterdam to revolt and attempt to join Germany. I cant declare war on Germany because it is allied with many other nations and can't deal with a war with several nations.

I pass through the same, and I think that Britain goal shouldn't be France at all, the blockade is excellent and enough to keep France away. To win I think the best approach is to fight against smaller guys, say Portugal, Holland, Denmark, or even go straightforward against Ottomans, in order to gain more territory and population.

I'm curious, How about the score?

As a player, there ought to be a way to have periods of peace, although I agree in this scenario England and France would not allow peace to last very long. The reason why I think there ought to be some periods of peacetime is to allow both CIV's a chance to capitalize on good relations elsewhere and form alliances -- and I mean BOTH France and England, not just the coalition ganging up on France as the only possible outcome. The other problem I run into is the mounting discontent of the population for being locked in war for so many turns. You need some time to recover from that, correct?

I think that a solution to the war weariness is to change either to Empire or Absolute Monarchy, where you get a bonus of -50% war weariness. In the other hand I think that much of discontent is the current cramming (too crowdy I mean).

In this case it is a dichotomy, as you need the most possible population to score higher, so it is not very good idea to use any of the existent methods to decrease it. I think that after the end of the tech tree you will have to increase the culture rate to the higher limit in order to resist the prolonged war.

Personally I would prefer the option that peace between France and England is possible, keeping the animosity the highest.

I think that a solution to the war weariness is to change either to Empire or Absolute Monarchy, where you get a bonus of -50% war weariness. In the other hand I think that much of discontent is the current cramming (too crowdy I mean).

In this case it is a dichotomy, as you need the most possible population to score higher, so it is not very good idea to use any of the existent methods to decrease it. I think that after the end of the tech tree you will have to increase the culture rate to the higher limit in order to resist the prolonged war.

I found a few ways to deal with the mounting discontent. The easiest is to draft troops from the population. You need eventually Empire as you pointed out. Another method is to lock city growth so they stop growing and causing problems. Somewhere around a POP of 25 seems a good point to consider locking population growth.

I am still having some problems with the issue of the barracks/elite barracks/military academies. What is needed to get new types of troops seems pretty confusing. When I look at my city improvements and barrack builds are greyed-out, the tool-tip indicates I need X-number of common barracks in order to build an elite barrack. Trouble is, I always seem to be one short of what's required. If I have 12 common barracks built, the tool tip indicates I need 13. If I have 20, the tool-tip indicates 21, and so on. WTF?

I could only build military academies in a few cities, however, what can be built in these cities remains unclear -- in some places I can build Guard units, but not in other. I some cities I can build Grenadiers, but not in others. This gets really confusing, let alone trying to upgrade troops. I don't like that part.

More ranting about the AI-Diplomacy. I vassalized Prussia (only two cities left, Konigsberg and Wroclaw). Russia got Warsaw, I got the rest. After vassalizing Prussia, I knocked out Papal, Sardinia, and Hanover. I've done nothing but grow richer, more powerful, and geographically bigger. Several turns later Prussia sends words that "I appear to be to weak!" And Prussia goes independent. Excuse me?

All I can saw to the GBR-Fra thing is that it's going to be out of locked war. But notice that the leaders require anywhere from 10 to 25 turns until they'll even discuss peace.

As the barracks: Horse Militia & Militia can be trained anywhere. Recruits & Line Inf require Barracks. Grenadiers & Lights require Elite Barracks. Guards & Guard Cavs require Military Academy. Lancers require Stables. Hussars & Dragoons require Elite Stables.
Every Elite Barracks requires 3 normal Barracks + Barracks in that city. Same thing with Stables. Military Academy requires 3 Elite Barracks, but no Elite Barracks in the city itself.

I've been able to build everything just fine. Maybe you've captured Elite Barracks in wars so that the number jumps by 3, I dunno...

nice unit variety I hear :)
I did the same with the civ 3 scenario, I edited it, because it sucked. ^^

All I can saw to the GBR-Fra thing is that it's going to be out of locked war. But notice that the leaders require anywhere from 10 to 25 turns until they'll even discuss peace.

As the barracks: Horse Militia & Militia can be trained anywhere. Recruits & Line Inf require Barracks. Grenadiers & Lights require Elite Barracks. Guards & Guard Cavs require Military Academy. Lancers require Stables. Hussars & Dragoons require Elite Stables.
Every Elite Barracks requires 3 normal Barracks + Barracks in that city. Same thing with Stables. Military Academy requires 3 Elite Barracks, but no Elite Barracks in the city itself.

I've been able to build everything just fine. Maybe you've captured Elite Barracks in wars so that the number jumps by 3, I dunno...

Thank you for enlighting that part, but if you allow me, I don't understand why Elite Barracks and Military Academy cancel each other, intuitively anybody would suppose the opposite. I guess that you need a Great General to create one.

I think that would be nice to have the option to create Military Academy anyhwere, with the limitation depending of the Civilization size. Let say minimum 2 and increasing every 5 cities or so, something similar to the Cathedrals, etc.

Thanks for the above explanation. As is, this makes sense -- however -- when running a fairly large empire, I get lost as to which city is best at producing or upgrading what. Maybe it's just me. :crazyeye:

I've been running France as my first venture into the this scenario's big CIVs. So far, they're kicking but and taking names. There were some close calls, especially early on with Austria, and around late 1802 when I declared war on Russia (2nd-runner-up scorewise) to prevent them from overrunning the Austrian-Ottoman coalition (who were buds with me by then). Sweden jumped in as their attempt to grab pieces of Austria, but eventually I bought the Swedes off and they returned home with sacks of gold. I'm pushing the Russians back east now...

So far, French borders run from the Rhine to Warsaw, Rome, Sardinia, and western Yugoslavia, plus Ireland and Portugal. Spain, Naples, Denmark, Sweden, and of course Austria remain on good terms with France thanks to "generous resource donations and trades" from France. I didn't run into glitches per se. Just some confusion about builds and so forth, as mentioned earlier. Pretty cool. :cool:

I'd love to be able to create states such as Poland and Ireland at the condition these remain permanently allied to their "liberator" and that the so-called liberator not only retained the initial points scored for conquering these lands, but scored additional points for setting up these states. Not sure if anything like this can be done at all with CIV4. Perhaps some states start at the beginning of the scenario as "defunct, zero-point CIV's". Then you'd have to specify which cities over which the liberator relinquishes control, and select the actual "defunct" CIV to resurrect. The larger city would automatically become its capital. As a matter of fact, this would make it possible for anyone to liberate/revive any previously defeated CIV. What initially "defeated" CIVs could be included at the beginning of this scenario? (Ireland, Poland, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Baltic States...) Anyone can think of others that would be historical in this scenario? This may be just wishful-thinking of course. ;)

I'm reaching the limits of my computer re. virtual memory minimum requirements. The game actually halted for a moment due to lack of available virtual memory (I'm amazed it didn't crash). I deleted the auto saves and superfluous manual saves, and the game resumed... very slowly. I takes about 5mn for the AI to complete its moves. Selecting units remains very slow now at times, with occasional periods of about 10-15 seconds each during which the game freezes. That maybe it for me, at least for the moment. :sad:

Thank you, Paaski! So far so good! :D

I will score just to keep the thread hot :D

I changed the speed to normal playing with the month calendar, hmmm, the result is good in relation to the tech research speed, but, for the rest is no so nice, of course no really hard units appeared until 1804-1805 the soonest, and took a lot of time to improve economy and so far.

My conclusion, now I understand why tech research is rather fast, if not that way then the scenario can't be focus in the war, and as far as I understand Paasky, the leif motive here is war, I mean, Napoleonic Wars.

One detail Paasky.

If you use two calendars this should effect the movement of all units, for example playing as Spain, it took me almost one year to sail from Barcelona to Turkey, as was 11 moves = 11 months. If you play week calendar then you will navigate only 11 weeks = 2,5 months, a more logical period for those times. Same as to the La Macha Canal, you should be able to go back and forth 4 times in a month, and not 1 month to go and month back.

I guess you can change that through XML files.

Top Bottom