Narrator: Can you turn him off?

Kelvrin

Chieftain
Is it possible to turn off the narrator? You know the guy speaking the opening dialogs and the tech quotes. He's very annoying. He's speaks too fast with barely a pause. It sounds like he's trying to impersonate Liam Neeson. Trying and failing horribly. Nemoy was alot better.

I disagree. W. Morgan Shepherd did a fine job. Seems like he's channeling one of the characters he played on B5 with his voice, which works for me.

I agree that whoever the narrator is is not the best. He really does sound like Liam Neeson in a few places!

Maybe someone could mod-it to put Nimoy's voice back in. I'm not necessarily a Nimoy fan, but it was better than the Civ 5 guy.

Some parts even sound monoton like he's a robot...lol

He played on b5? Andreas Katsulas would have been a great narrator. Its a shame he died. :(

I like Nimoy but I also like W. Morgan Shepherd. I guess probably because I've always loved him as an actor and I love his gravelly voice.

Give it a chance guys, his voice may grow on you.

What character did W. Morgan Sheperd play on B5?
Closest I could place him was Lorien or Brother Theo.

I liked how you could close the screen in civ4 while nimoy was talking, and he'd continue to talk. This new guys stops when you close the screen. But he takes too long to finish, and I want to move on. I'd like the sound file to continue to completion even after the screen closes. Or lose him altogether. :p

Just set the Speech Volumn setting to 0?

I don't have any sound turned on for the game, I prefer to listen to my iPod while playing (in this case, the Civ5 Soundtrack). But I think if there was no narration during the load screen, it would load faster? I say this because it got stuck in a loop for about a minute, slowing down the loading.

W. Morgan Shepherd also narrated some of the early Medal of Honor games.

If he were still alive, I would've loved hearing Tony Jay.

Otherwise, this is JUST A THOUGHT, would Morgan Freeman be too high profile for Civ?

He had a guest appearance for 2 Episodes in B5. But he did a fantastic job on Gargoyles and Biker Mice from Mars. I like him, as much as I liked Nimoy's. Sheppard sounds much more sober, austere, while Nimoy's voice were more enthusiastic. But both fit well

One idea for a fix (and by "fix" I mean fix in the same sense that duct tape can fix a leaky faucet) is to have empty sound files and associate them with everything. Probably more trouble than it's worth, but if you can't put up with him for the second and a half it takes to click off his quote, then there's an idea.

Personally, I think he sounds pretty cool. I'm hoping he's willing to stick around for any expansions/DLC so they don't have to call in Sid to do it (no offense to Mr. Meier, he's good at what he does, but voice overs aren't his thing).

If you set speech volume to zero you miss all the leaderhead speaking, which I'd prefer to keep since it gives you a good judge of their mood.

Otherwise, this is JUST A THOUGHT, would Morgan Freeman be too high profile for Civ?

That would be awesome, especially for any religious quotes (since he's played god in a couple movies).

What bugs me is that the speech cuts off if you click "Ok" on the tech pop-up. I liked how Nimoy's voice would continue in the background even after you clicked "Ok". And it was even kind of funny when you would get multiple techs at once and you'd have a virtual chorus of Nimoy! :lol:

Of course. But their voice tone is another data point. Also it sounds neat.

I know this is an ancient thread, but I was trying to figure out how to turn off the narrator opening audio and kept coming back here. So this is for anyone trying to do the same thing who likewise ends up in this thread.

The file is Assets/Sounds/XML/DawnOfMan_SpeechAudio2DScripts.xml. Edit, scroll down to your favorite civ of choice, and then set iMaxVolume and iMinVolume to 0. Done, silenced.

For civs introduced by DLCs, the file is located in Assets/DLC/[DLC name]/Sounds/XML.

If I knew more about packaging Civ5 mod packages, I'd make up a quick one. But this kills the Morgan Sheppard opening narration. The MP3 still loads and plays, only muted.. I've tried eliminating the SoundID XML setting to prevent the sound file from loading, but that seems to have no effect on game load time.

I know this is an ancient thread, but I was trying to figure out how to turn off the narrator opening audio and kept coming back here. So this is for anyone trying to do the same thing who likewise ends up in this thread.

The file is Assets/Sounds/XML/DawnOfMan_SpeechAudio2DScripts.xml. Edit, scroll down to your favorite civ of choice, and then set iMaxVolume and iMinVolume to 0. Done, silenced.

For civs introduced by DLCs, the file is located in Assets/DLC/[DLC name]/Sounds/XML.

If I knew more about packaging Civ5 mod packages, I'd make up a quick one. But this kills the Morgan Sheppard opening narration. The MP3 still loads and plays, only muted.. I've tried eliminating the SoundID XML setting to prevent the sound file from loading, but that seems to have no effect on game load time.

The other solution is to just remove the DawnofManAudio in the Civilization.xml.

Top Bottom