Natural Wonder Elimination Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may not mean much in this thread but at least, it my opinion, should let stuff like Chocolate Hills outlast mostly inconsequential stuff like Giant's Causeway (which got nerfed to expire its bonus when a unit gets promoted, so you have to travel back to refresh it... no thanks).

That is untrue, mate. Spear of Firion does not expire, and persists through upgrades, promotions and corp/army mergers. Upgraded a unit with it 15 minutes ago, who gained it as a Swordsmen, and is now a Mech Infantry (3 upgrades), and it persisted through it all (like all natural wonder buffs do, now). I am sure someone has a link to when they fixed it.

Chocolate Hills gives uncompetitive yields these days, due to the massive power creep. Good for a national park and the Maori, though not enough to beat the others on this list.

Chocolate Hills [6]
Dead Sea [4]
Eyjafjallajökull [18]
Fountain of Youth [18]
Galápagos Islands [13]
Giant's Causeway [16]
Great Barrier Reef [14]
Hạ Long Bay [18]
Ik-Kil [18]
Lysefjord [2]
Mato Tipila [14]
Matterhorn [18]
Mount Kilimanjaro [16]
Mount Roraima [21]
Mount Vesuvius [17]
Païtiti [22]
Pamukkale [18]
Pantanal [20]
Piopiotahi [13]
Sahara el Beyda [14]
Torres del Paine [21]
Tsingy de Bemaraha [16]
Ubsunur Hollow [15]
Uluru [13]
Yosemite [19]
Zhangye Danxia [19]

Last edited:
I'd like to downvote Giant's Causeway because if you're not fighting it's essentially worthless, but I get the feeling that will be very unpopular so instead...

Chocolate Hills [6]
Dead Sea [4]
Eyjafjallajökull [18]
Fountain of Youth [18]
Galápagos Islands [13]
Giant's Causeway [16]
Great Barrier Reef [14]
Hạ Long Bay [18]
Ik-Kil [18]
Lysefjord [2]
Mato Tipila [11] (14-3) Pretty weak IMO. One tile and small yields.
Matterhorn [18]
Mount Kilimanjaro [16]
Mount Roraima [21]
Mount Vesuvius [17]
Païtiti [23] (22+1) I've never been able to settle near it, but I sure wish I could.
Pamukkale [18]
Pantanal [20]
Piopiotahi [13]
Sahara el Beyda [14]
Torres del Paine [21]
Tsingy de Bemaraha [16]
Ubsunur Hollow [15]
Uluru [13]
Yosemite [19]
Zhangye Danxia [19]

Dead Sea - the culture and faith are okay, but you have to have food tiles near it for your city to grow, and if it spawns near tundra, plains, or desert that isn't happening. The healing ability is too situational and only useful if your units happen to be fighting by it.

Fountain of Youth - If this is ever near you, the extra healing can be critical to early wars for domination on higher levels, or not losing your few units to the inevitable AI rush or barbarian swarm. And it is forever.

Chocolate Hills [6]
Dead Sea [4-3=1]
Eyjafjallajökull [18]
Fountain of Youth [18+1=19]
Galápagos Islands [13]
Giant's Causeway [16]
Great Barrier Reef [14]
Hạ Long Bay [18]
Ik-Kil [18]
Lysefjord [2]
Mato Tipila [11]
Matterhorn [18]
Mount Kilimanjaro [16]
Mount Roraima [21]
Mount Vesuvius [17]
Païtiti [23]
Pamukkale [18]
Pantanal [20]
Piopiotahi [13]
Sahara el Beyda [14]
Torres del Paine [21]
Tsingy de Bemaraha [16]
Ubsunur Hollow [15]
Uluru [13]
Yosemite [19]
Zhangye Danxia [19]

Lysefjord [3] (2+1) If Giant's Causeway get so much love then this one deserves a bit too. The free promotion is not something you want when your units are new, but if a Frigate is Lv.3 and you want the 4th promotion, Lysefjord can be very helpful.

Sahara el Beyda [11] (14-3) It can provide some powerful Holy Site spot only if you can get the Desert Folklore pantheon. Otherwise it's just an average 4-tile wonder. Maybe it's an early downvote considering that it can be good if you get the Great Scientist Darwin, but I really don't know what else to downvote.

Chocolate Hills [6]
Dead Sea [1]
Eyjafjallajökull [18]
Fountain of Youth [19]
Galápagos Islands [13]
Giant's Causeway [16]
Great Barrier Reef [14]
Hạ Long Bay [18]
Ik-Kil [18]
Lysefjord [3]
Mato Tipila [11]
Matterhorn [18]
Mount Kilimanjaro [16]
Mount Roraima [21]
Mount Vesuvius [17]
Païtiti [23]
Pamukkale [18]
Pantanal [20]
Piopiotahi [13]
Sahara el Beyda [11]
Torres del Paine [21]
Tsingy de Bemaraha [16]
Ubsunur Hollow [15]
Uluru [13]
Yosemite [19]
Zhangye Danxia [19]

Ubsunur Hollow [12] (15-3) Really struggling to understand why this isn’t on the verge of elimination. The yields are just not competitive in the slightest (2faith, 1food, 1production), and it’s found in tundra — so unless you’re Russia or, at a push, Canada you’re not going to get any meaningful use out of settling a city near Ubsunur in the early game. Later on, it becomes more valuable because you can slap down two national parks — but the same can be said about nearly all of the natural wonders. Definitely should be going by now.

Piopiotahi [14] (13+1) And conversely, no way this should be dwindling away yet. It grants *a lot* of culture in the early game, I.e. the point when extra culture is most important; and since its an adjacency wonder rather than a passable wonder, you can improve the tiles with farms/mines/etc meaning your city is still functional — unlike Ubsunur above.

Chocolate Hills [6]
Dead Sea [1]
Eyjafjallajökull [18]
Fountain of Youth [19]
Galápagos Islands [13]
Giant's Causeway [16]
Great Barrier Reef [14]
Hạ Long Bay [18]
Ik-Kil [18]
Lysefjord [3]
Mato Tipila [11]
Matterhorn [18]
Mount Kilimanjaro [16]
Mount Roraima [21]
Mount Vesuvius [17]
Païtiti [23]
Pamukkale [18]
Pantanal [20]
Piopiotahi [14] (13+1)
Sahara el Beyda [11]
Torres del Paine [21]
Tsingy de Bemaraha [16]
Ubsunur Hollow [12] (15-3)
Uluru [13]
Yosemite [19]
Zhangye Danxia [19]

Chocolate Hills [6]
Dead Sea [1]
Eyjafjallajökull [18]
Fountain of Youth [19]
Galápagos Islands [13]
Giant's Causeway [16]
Great Barrier Reef [14]
Hạ Long Bay [18]
Ik-Kil [18]
Lysefjord [3]
Mato Tipila [11]
Matterhorn [18]
Mount Kilimanjaro [16]
Mount Roraima [22] (21+1) Additional yields and adjacencies are great.
Mount Vesuvius [17]
Païtiti [23]
Pamukkale [18]
Pantanal [20]
Piopiotahi [14]
Sahara el Beyda [11]
Torres del Paine [21]
Tsingy de Bemaraha [16]
Ubsunur Hollow [9] (12-3) Unless crazy high (like Fountain of Youth), yields on wonder tiles are usually weaker than they even appear. There's no chance of extra features and resources. And no improvements can be added, they only grow worse over time. (Looking at you, Pantanal)
Uluru [13]
Yosemite [19]
Zhangye Danxia [19]

Zhangye Danxia +1
This wonder should keep close to leaders.
Gamechanging because it will give you great generals when you won't be able to get them, will give you 3 of 4 first great mrchants, including those 2 of +1 trade capacity. Natural wonders are huge impact on early game, not late game, so ranking them by impact on first stage of the game is a proper approach.

Uluru -3
Desert tiles are not for working. Sometimes hills, with Petra and/or Nazca. Otherwise you get a tile with added tiles you would not be able to work except rare cases (mekewap neer desert resources, Australia and only a few more cases).
There are also some rare cases when map generator is so kind to give you shore / oasis 2 tiles from Uluru, so at least you get culture / faith on city tile.

Chocolate Hills [6]
Dead Sea [1]
Eyjafjallajökull [18]
Fountain of Youth [19]
Galápagos Islands [13]
Giant's Causeway [16]
Great Barrier Reef [14]
Hạ Long Bay [18]
Ik-Kil [18]
Lysefjord [3]
Mato Tipila [11]
Matterhorn [18]
Mount Kilimanjaro [16]
Mount Roraima [22]
Mount Vesuvius [17]
Païtiti [23]
Pamukkale [18]
Pantanal [20]
Piopiotahi [14]
Sahara el Beyda [11]
Torres del Paine [21]
Tsingy de Bemaraha [16]
Ubsunur Hollow [9]
Uluru [10]
Yosemite [19]
Zhangye Danxia [20]

Haven’t been voting much on this one. NGL, there’s a bulk of natural wonders that simply don’t interest me: the likes of Chocolate Hills and Pantanal and Ubusunur Hollow. When it gets closer to the top 10 I’ll have more interest.

For now, downvote to eliminate Dead Sea. I once made good use of it in a Mali game with Desert Folkore, but in 99% of games I will ignore large patches of desert and, therefore, ignore the Dead Sea. And upvote to Ik-Kil because i made very good use of it in my most recent game as Mag Catherine building four wonders in a circle around the tile.

Chocolate Hills [6]
Dead Sea [ELIMINATED]
Eyjafjallajökull [18]
Fountain of Youth [19]
Galápagos Islands [13]
Giant's Causeway [16]
Great Barrier Reef [14]
Hạ Long Bay [18]
Ik-Kil [19] (18+1)
Lysefjord [3]
Mato Tipila [11]
Matterhorn [18]
Mount Kilimanjaro [16]
Mount Roraima [22]
Mount Vesuvius [17]
Païtiti [23]
Pamukkale [18]
Pantanal [20]
Piopiotahi [14]
Sahara el Beyda [11]
Torres del Paine [21]
Tsingy de Bemaraha [16]
Ubsunur Hollow [9]
Uluru [10]
Yosemite [19]
Zhangye Danxia [20]

Ubsuner Hollow - Yep, it's bad. 1f 1p is the critical yields that are lacking. The 2 faith is fairly worthless and certainly not worth the opportunity cost of working something better.

Tsingy - 1 science and 1 culture to adjacent tiles, what's not to like? At worst you could say, perhaps, that's it's good but not as good as some stuff here, but that's still certainly better than a lot of stuff still here.

Chocolate Hills [6]
Eyjafjallajökull [18]
Fountain of Youth [19]
Galápagos Islands [13]
Giant's Causeway [16]
Great Barrier Reef [14]
Hạ Long Bay [18]
Ik-Kil [19]
Lysefjord [3]
Mato Tipila [11]
Matterhorn [18]
Mount Kilimanjaro [16]
Mount Roraima [22]
Mount Vesuvius [17]
Païtiti [23]
Pamukkale [18]
Pantanal [20]
Piopiotahi [14]
Sahara el Beyda [11]
Torres del Paine [21]
Tsingy de Bemaraha [17]
Ubsunur Hollow [6]
Uluru [10]
Yosemite [19]
Zhangye Danxia [20]

Chocolate Hills [6]
Eyjafjallajökull [18]
Fountain of Youth [19]
Galápagos Islands [13]
Giant's Causeway [16]
Great Barrier Reef [14]
Hạ Long Bay [18]
Ik-Kil [19]
Lysefjord [3]
Mato Tipila [11]
Matterhorn [18]
Mount Kilimanjaro [17] (16 + 1) Has high initial food yields adjacent to the volcano, only to be improved by further eruptions.

Mount Roraima [22]
Mount Vesuvius [17]
Païtiti [23]
Pamukkale [18]
Pantanal [20]
Piopiotahi [14]
Sahara el Beyda [11]
Torres del Paine [21]
Tsingy de Bemaraha [14] (17 - 3) The wonder is okay but the yields are still not dense enough to justify any upvote.

Ubsunur Hollow [6]
Uluru [10]
Yosemite [19]
Zhangye Danxia [20]

Chocolate Hills (6+1=7) I'll try to keep this going a bit longer as, aside from Pantanal, I think it has the best yield combination of the 4 tile workable wonders and spawns near the most viable city locations.

Sahara el Beyda (11-3=8) Lacking food yields and spawning in areas that are already food-poor is a bad combination. I'd argue Sahara el Beyda is even worse in this regard than Ubsunur.

Chocolate Hills [7]

Eyjafjallajökull [18]
Fountain of Youth [19]
Galápagos Islands [13]
Giant's Causeway [16]
Great Barrier Reef [14]
Hạ Long Bay [18]
Ik-Kil [19]
Lysefjord [3]
Mato Tipila [11]
Matterhorn [18]
Mount Kilimanjaro [17]
Mount Roraima [22]
Mount Vesuvius [17]
Païtiti [23]
Pamukkale [18]
Pantanal [20]
Piopiotahi [14]
Sahara el Beyda [8]
Torres del Paine [21]
Tsingy de Bemaraha [14]
Ubsunur Hollow [6]
Uluru [10]
Yosemite [19]
Zhangye Danxia [20]

I realize everyone's style of play and goals are different. But for myself, here's my take on wonder food. I would rather have extra food than not. However, it's not a big priority to me compared to all other yields.
Effectively every tile on the map has a hidden value of -2 food because that's what it takes to work it - that's why food is important (and why wonders that boost adjacent tiles are excellent).

Sahara el Beyda [5] 8-3 One of the weakest of the desert wonders, long past it's due date.

Piopiotahi [15] 14+1 S tier wonder, crazy it's at only 15 after this many rounds! Especially early on the culture is really valuable.

Chocolate Hills [7]
Eyjafjallajökull [18]
Fountain of Youth [19]
Galápagos Islands [13]
Giant's Causeway [16]
Great Barrier Reef [14]
Hạ Long Bay [18]
Ik-Kil [19]
Lysefjord [3]
Mato Tipila [11]
Matterhorn [18]
Mount Kilimanjaro [17]
Mount Roraima [22]
Mount Vesuvius [17]
Païtiti [23]
Pamukkale [18]
Pantanal [20]
Piopiotahi [15]
Sahara el Beyda [5]
Torres del Paine [21]
Tsingy de Bemaraha [14]
Ubsunur Hollow [6]
Uluru [10]
Yosemite [19]
Zhangye Danxia [20]

Uluru [7] (10-3) Same problem as the other desert wonders: unless you're Mali and/or have Petra, you can't work the tiles without starving your city. Slightly better than Delicate Arch purely because Uluru grants more appeal to adjacent tiles (+4 instead of +2), making it a better natural park spot – but not enough to keep it any longer.

Galápagos Islands [14] (13+1) I'm yet to see a proper explanation why this should be getting downvoted. It's always found on coast, not ocean, meaning that in all likelihood you'll have access to at least 6 or 7 of the 8 tiles, and maybe all 8; so that's providing you with anywhere between 14–20 extra science in one city. All you need is for one crabs or fish or turtle or whale to spawn within one or two of those 8 tiles, and you've got yourself an amazing early city.

Chocolate Hills [7]
Eyjafjallajökull [18]
Fountain of Youth [19]
Galápagos Islands [14] (13+1)
Giant's Causeway [16]
Great Barrier Reef [14]
Hạ Long Bay [18]
Ik-Kil [19]
Lysefjord [3]
Mato Tipila [11]
Matterhorn [18]
Mount Kilimanjaro [17]
Mount Roraima [22]
Mount Vesuvius [17]
Païtiti [23]
Pamukkale [18]
Pantanal [20]
Piopiotahi [15]
Sahara el Beyda [5]
Torres del Paine [21]
Tsingy de Bemaraha [14]
Ubsunur Hollow [6]
Uluru [7] (10-3)
Yosemite [19]
Zhangye Danxia [20]

Ubsunur Hollow gives gifficlt yields to utilize early - which is when you'd most want to. On the other hand early GG points are very easy to use - thanks Zhangye Danxia.

I'm finding this a tough elimination thread to vote on. Since wonders tend to happen to you rather than requiring your strategy to get specific ones I find I have less clear cut opinions about which ones are better...

Chocolate Hills [7]
Eyjafjallajökull [18]
Fountain of Youth [19]
Galápagos Islands [14]
Giant's Causeway [16]
Great Barrier Reef [14]
Hạ Long Bay [18]
Ik-Kil [19]
Lysefjord [3]
Mato Tipila [11]
Matterhorn [18]
Mount Kilimanjaro [17]
Mount Roraima [22]
Mount Vesuvius [17]
Païtiti [23]
Pamukkale [18]
Pantanal [20]
Piopiotahi [15]
Sahara el Beyda [5]
Torres del Paine [21]
Tsingy de Bemaraha [14]
Ubsunur Hollow [3]
Uluru [7]
Yosemite [19]
Zhangye Danxia [21]

Chocolate Hills [7]
Eyjafjallajökull [18]
Fountain of Youth [19]
Galápagos Islands [14]
Giant's Causeway [16]
Great Barrier Reef [14]
Hạ Long Bay [18]
Ik-Kil [19]
Lysefjord [4] (3+1) I like to play on water maps. And this is the best wonder that could happen for your ships.
Mato Tipila [11]
Matterhorn [18]
Mount Kilimanjaro [17]
Mount Roraima [22]
Mount Vesuvius [17]
Païtiti [23]
Pamukkale [18]
Pantanal [20]
Piopiotahi [15]
Sahara el Beyda [5]
Torres del Paine [21]
Tsingy de Bemaraha [14]
Ubsunur Hollow [3]
Uluru [4](7-3) How is this still here? You won't work those tiles without Petra, not at the beginning of the game and also not later.
Yosemite [19]
Zhangye Danxia [21]

Chocolate Hills [7]
Eyjafjallajökull [18]
Fountain of Youth [19]
Galápagos Islands [14]
Giant's Causeway [17] (16+1) Obviously a great wonder for domination. But it’s also good for defending yourself no matter what victory type — think Rough Rider Teddy’s continent bonus, but everywhere.
Great Barrier Reef [14]
Hạ Long Bay [18]
Ik-Kil [19]
Lysefjord [4]
Mato Tipila [11]
Matterhorn [18]
Mount Kilimanjaro [17]
Mount Roraima [22]
Mount Vesuvius [17]
Païtiti [23]
Pamukkale [18]
Pantanal [20]
Piopiotahi [15]
Sahara el Beyda [5]
Torres del Paine [21]
Tsingy de Bemaraha [14]
Ubsunur Hollow [3]
Uluru [1] (4-3) Yeah, Uluru ought to go. Unworkable unless you get Petra.
Yosemite [19]
Zhangye Danxia [21]

The letter P.

Piopiotahi is an S tier wonder? What?
Let's compare to Païtiti. Both impassable 3 tile triangles. Both provide additional culture and gold. Check. Piopiotahi is +1 culture, +1 gold. Païtiti is +2 culture, +3 gold. In addition, Païtiti provides +4 gold for international trade routes. If Piopiotahi had the major adjacency bonuses that Païtiti had, I might use them. Those Païtiti tiles are too valuable though. I've found Païtiti's map position to be better than Piopiotahi's in general, as a side note.

So I guess Païtiti is simply God Broken tier.

Chocolate Hills [7]
Eyjafjallajökull [18]
Fountain of Youth [19]
Galápagos Islands [14]
Giant's Causeway [17]
Great Barrier Reef [14]
Hạ Long Bay [18]
Ik-Kil [19]
Lysefjord [4]
Mato Tipila [11]
Matterhorn [18]
Mount Kilimanjaro [17]
Mount Roraima [22]
Mount Vesuvius [17]
Païtiti [24] (23+1) Admittedly, is a bit broken.
Pamukkale [18]
Pantanal [17] (20-3) Love culture, get me to PP and Feudalism asap. That makes this unimprovable wonder decent, not great. Honestly, I would rather have 4 actual swamp tiles that I can exploit to improve my empire and improve culture through better means.
Piopiotahi [15]
Sahara el Beyda [5]
Torres del Paine [21]
Tsingy de Bemaraha [14]
Ubsunur Hollow [3]
Uluru [1]
Yosemite [19]
Zhangye Danxia [21]

Voting two of the 1-tile non-passable NW today.

Tsingy de Bemaraha [15] (14+1) I found the downvote a bit unjustified. It's not the best wonder, but it's very nice to have. Normally you don't get 6 science and 6 culture from tiles. This is better than Great Barrier Reef.

Mato Tipila [8] (11-3) 1 production 1 faith is not enough to even justify settling around it.

BTW I was the one who downvoted Piopiotahi. I don't undervalue culture - if you check my voting history in CS elimination thread I vote up Kumasi and Nan Madol constantly. I played a two-tile start next to Piopiotahi and I knew it's good. But IIRC Piopiotahi always appear coastal and the 1 culture 1 gold it gives is not enough to make it on par with some of the best wonders.

Chocolate Hills [7]
Eyjafjallajökull [18]
Fountain of Youth [19]
Galápagos Islands [14]
Giant's Causeway [17]
Great Barrier Reef [14]
Hạ Long Bay [18]
Ik-Kil [19]
Lysefjord [4]
Mato Tipila [8]
Matterhorn [18]
Mount Kilimanjaro [17]
Mount Roraima [22]
Mount Vesuvius [17]
Païtiti [24]
Pamukkale [18]
Pantanal [17]
Piopiotahi [15]
Sahara el Beyda [5]
Torres del Paine [21]
Tsingy de Bemaraha [15]
Ubsunur Hollow [3]
Uluru [1]
Yosemite [19]
Zhangye Danxia [21]

I wasn't going to do it... but I changed my mind. ;)

Chocolate Hills [7]
Eyjafjallajökull [18]
Fountain of Youth [19]
Galápagos Islands [14]
Giant's Causeway [14] (17-3) That combat bonus is nice, I suppose... if you're planning on fighting. Outside of that it gives you nothing, AND it's also going to give that combat bonus to any other civ that sends units there as well to get the exact same bonus you're trying to take advantage of. I think I'd take just about anything left on the list over it TBH.
Great Barrier Reef [14]
Hạ Long Bay [18]
Ik-Kil [19]
Lysefjord [4]
Mato Tipila [8]
Matterhorn [18]
Mount Kilimanjaro [17]
Mount Roraima [22]
Mount Vesuvius [17]
Païtiti [24]
Pamukkale [18]
Pantanal [17]
Piopiotahi [15]
Sahara el Beyda [5]
Torres del Paine [21]
Tsingy de Bemaraha [15]
Ubsunur Hollow [3]
Uluru [1]
Yosemite [19]
Zhangye Danxia [22] (21+1) If you want to do some early fighting, *this* is what you want, moreso than Giant's Causeway. You'll get a great general (or 2, or 3) that boost the combat strengths of *every* unit nearby, it's an advantage that's exclusive to you, and you'll get an added bonus when you finally retire the generals. Plus you get a benefit from it (great merchants!) even if you have ZERO entrance in picking a fight.

Natural wonders are more difficult for me to evaluate since they don't always come up, so I don't necessarily have much experiencing working with all of them. Given that, I wasn't sure I could give reasonable judgement on the NWs and am mostly waiting for the list to thin out.

The things I care about most in a natural wonder are any unique abilities they give and era score. The yields usually aren't as interesting to me, unless the NW is very close by. Volcanos are kind of a pain in the butt if they have strategic resources next to them. That isn't a NW specific thing but factors into my evaluation of certain NWs.

Matterhorn [19] (18+1) I like Giant's Causeway, Lysefjord, Zhangye Danxia, Fountain of Youth and Bermuda Triangle quite a bit. I'm usually fighting the AI anyway and I like having unit focused benefits. With that said, I'll upvote Matterhorn this time for the excellent Alpine Training promotion. Movement penalties from terrain are a pretty annoying factor to deal with in warfare and scouting, especially if one doesn't have a convenient road in place. Getting Alpine Training on your units makes hills less of a burden, and also makes them excellent spaces to fight from if need be.

Uluru [-2] (1-3) It's an impassable desert natural wonder ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chocolate Hills [7]
Eyjafjallajökull [18]
Fountain of Youth [19]
Galápagos Islands [14]
Giant's Causeway [14]
Great Barrier Reef [14]
Hạ Long Bay [18]
Ik-Kil [19]
Lysefjord [4]
Mato Tipila [8]
Matterhorn [19]
Mount Kilimanjaro [17]
Mount Roraima [22]
Mount Vesuvius [17]
Païtiti [24]
Pamukkale [18]
Pantanal [17]
Piopiotahi [15]
Sahara el Beyda [5]
Torres del Paine [21]
Tsingy de Bemaraha [15]
Ubsunur Hollow [3]
Yosemite [19]
Zhangye Danxia [22]

Edit: Woops lol, forgot to edit the vote value in the array. Thanks for pointing that out hhhhhh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom