NavyDawg's Unit Creation Thread

NavyDawg said:
How heavy is this bad boy? Does the default and run need to have two hands holding it? Also, would you fire it in a full automatic mode or bursts? Thanks for the insights, I'll try to make the anims as real as possible.

16lbs with no ammo. most common ammo config is a 200 rnd plastic box of 5.56 belt that adds another 6lbs(it had a slot in the reciever to also accept a standard m16 mag if you ran out,but unless it was brand new the spring tension wouldn't feed it fast enough to keep from jamming).
If you were a really big boy you could probably wield it with one hand but at 750 rnds per min you couldn't hit anything.(full auto only,no single shot) I usuly had 2 extra boxes of ammo and since I'm kinda small(165lbs) I used the shoulder sling to let it hang across my abdomin and both hands on the weapon. The best way to fire would be to drop prone and flip out the bipod but for game animation I think kneeling would work best with some significant muzzle climb. ;)

NavyDawg said:
How heavy is this bad boy? Does the default and run need to have two hands holding it? Also, would you fire it in a full automatic mode or bursts? Thanks for the insights, I'll try to make the anims as real as possible.
I was on the other end of the size spectrum. I was typically the heaviest man in my unit. I don't think I was below 248 in all the time I served... and I had a weight waiver for up to 268 (cus max weight is based on percentage of body fat not simply what the scale says). A couple of times I was assigned a Saw, other times an m60 or m2.... And, I would always have two hands on the weapon, except maybe when I was resting, in which case I'd typically let the strap take the weight. I was basically your large viking sized marine :lol:
For, me I could carry even the 50 cal m2 HMG by myself, though I prefered not to.

I never saw anyone who operated the SAW, M60, etc with 1 hand. Always 2. Only exception would be if you took a round and had no choice. The saw was better prone than other firing positions, but had the advantage of being able to be fired accurately standing. Something its heavier brothers could not do.

On the better helmet, I have it, but I won't be able to get to it for a few days.

You get that IM program and I'll give you more stuff than you'll know what to do with. IM transfer is a lot faster and greater volume than emails.

aaglo said:
So that's you on the left :lol:
warning what follows it off topic and just an old marine talking 'bout way back when...

heheh... must be. There were a couple of other guys who could do it too. Its not as if it is a VW. Worst I ever had to do was we were once going on a very long hike
My fireteam (4guys) included amongst the smallest marines in our company. So I had to carry fair bit of their gear... Our 1st sgt made a big deal about the fact that our entire squad(13 guys) made the "death march" with no drops and he point out how small the members of some of the squad were (mostly my fireteam).. One of the other corporals complained that it was only because I carried everything. The 1st sgt said BS, I was only 1 man. To prove his point, they weighed my gear and it was 243lbs... after that they made rules about how much we were allowed to carry (doh!). Naturally the 1st sgt acted liked like I put the extra weight in my pack for the sole purpose of embarressing him. And, because I got "lippy" with him, I got KP. He asked "what were you thinking? Did you ever stop to think what would happen to the unit if we lost use of your ma duece because you were stupid enough to try and ruck your squads gear? I figured I was an NCO and so could get away with a small joke because we were having a private converstion. So I said,"But 1st sgt would't you have picked me up gear and all out of shear cussedness?".. and suddenly I discovered I had just volunteered to help out in the kitchen.
btw, I still use and love thay unit.

NavyDawg said:
Bjorn, I'll take the helmet when it's ready. I plan to do a lot of modern infantry and will get some mileage out of it. Also, I might make the "Bjorn Marine" with a SAW in one hand and 50 cal in the other. It'll have to have a high attack and defense, but probably a fairly slow movement.;)
I'll get you the helmet when I can. It is already made, so not a big deal.
A saw & a 50... well I could have carried it, but I would never have been able to hit much. The fear factor might have been worth it.

Actually I did see a guy fire a 60 one handed, sort of. He was a drill sergeant, and he knelt and rested it over one leg on the range. He would find and fire leftover ammo - no more than three or four rounds at a time. I'm not sure exactly why he did it that way, but there you have it.

Anyway, I'm really glad to see more modern infantry units being made. This is a much neglected area.

Okay, he just got 50 megs worth of toys today, lets see what he comes up with.

Hey, Dawg... if I gave you a prop for a StG77, would you make an Austrian Bundesheer soldier for me?

NavyDawg, here are a few pics of Bundesheer soldiers in full battle gear.

I will give you the Stg77 prop, which is the gun these guys are holding, later today.

Oh, thats just the Steyr Aug, pretty sure I gave him that one.

and the Irish.

Top Bottom