1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

NavyDawg's Unit Creation Thread

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by NavyDawg, Sep 26, 2006.

1. TopGun

TopGun 258 kills

2. NavyDawg

NavyDawg Audentes Fortuna Iuvat

3. odintheking

odintheking Lighting the way...

Those infantry turned out great! I remember you requesting General Grievous a while back... any plans to make him?

4. NavyDawg

Yeah, I did request him and still think it would be a great unit. I don't have a good model for him just yet, but might come across one in the future.

5. Quinzy

Quinzy Deity

6. Partizanac

Partizanac Serbian Ambassador in CFC

7. Wyrmshadow

Wyrmshadow Deity

good luck finding a 4 armed Poser plugin.

8. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Deity

You would have to make your own skeleton and create your own morphs & poses.

9. NavyDawg

That General Grievous model is quite detailed, but it's static. Maybe someday I'll learn how to give it a skeleton, but don't hold your breath.

As for my next unit, model preview is below. This is a "European Infantry" based on TopGun's Bundesheer. Comments are welcome.

Attached Files:

10. BadKharma

BadKharma Deity

Looks pretty good, I see he is wearing body armour.

11. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

You are SO elected as the official Imperial Guard maker. I won`t take "no" for an answer. I have an axe, you know?

Like the euro guy! He looks fit for a balkan wedding! :goodjob:

12. Partizanac

Partizanac Serbian Ambassador in CFC

13. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Deity

Their uniform is often worn lower sort of like a skirt. I saw this in one of the few ref images where they were standing up. Since kneeling or sitting, that would ride up and you'd only see their pants underneath. It is not neccessary, but it might make it an interesting way to add differentiation between this unit and the other similar infantry units.

I would also thicken the detailing work on the helmet and armor so they are more visible. Ideally the barrel on that rifle should be thicker. If you're up to it, you can do that with just a could of cylinders from the pimitives props.

Other than that, great work thus far on the modeling or unit assembling.
    Putting these together is a little like playing a complictated game with legos.

14. Stormrage

You sure about them skirts? :hmm: Never saw anything similar to that. You`ve got a pic? :)

15. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Deity

Look in the first image. It is not a skirt, but some part of his BDU which hangs low. I googled some other images and found that others also had this, though not all of them. It is not needed, but might be a mildly interesting variation to the stock green dude with a big gun (not to be confused the the green dude with the big axe)

16. Stormrage

I think that its just his jacket, not tucked in the pants or rolled under itself (bad term, I know, but you know what I mean, right?).

17. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Deity

It is his top, either his jacket (which would probably not get tucked in) or his shirt. Which depending on the country should or should not be tucked.
    For example, in the US military the BDU tops (shirts) are not tucked in, but they do not hang down like that either.
    I found several other images in a few secs which included some who looked the same way.
    My guess is this, but it is just a guess.
    That it is his jacket. And, they they can opt to wear the jacket or not. And if they opt to wear the jacket it hangs down some as in the images.

18. Stormrage

Also, those could be photos of some messy soldiers ;)

If they are relaxed (at ease or whatever you say) in the photos, the jackets are not important, and if they are in action like the dude in photo 1, well, who has time to fix his jacket when he`s running around with a big gun? If you have some photos where they are all in a line-up or something, there you will see the official way to wear the jacket, right?

19. Bjornlo

Bjornlo Deity

Ok, but this is the one and only time I tell you I've already seen the images and you get to ask me to get them for you. You're fingers can type google just as easily as mine.

First image is 50 years ago. Last 3 are current. In all of them, they all have these skirt like suits. Click thumbnails for larger images

20. Stormrage

I googled for them, and didn`t get neither of those pics.. so, thanks :) You messed up the first 2

EDIT: Don`t need the first 2, its obvious they don`t roll the end of their jacket :)