NBA Predictions thread/2009 Season

downtown

Crafternoon Delight
Training Camp starts in a week or two, and every roster is virtually set at this point (David Lee and Nate Robsinson still have to formally sign one year deals with the Knicks, but every other free agent of consequence has signed, and no trades are likely for weeks). With that all being said, how do you see this season turning out?

In the East:
Cleveland
Orlando
Boston
Atlanta
Miami
Washington
Chicago
Toronto
---
Detroit

and in the West:
LA Lakers
San Antonio
Dallas
Portland
Denver
Utah
New Orleans
LA Clippers
---
Phoenix

In the East, I think Cleveland, Atlanta, Washington and Toronto really improved from last year (Boston is a little better, but their age will keep them from getting one of the top two spots). Philly, Charlotte and Detroit got worse.

In the West, Dallas, San Antonio and the LA Clippers got a lot better...Utah, New Orleans and Houston got worse. I would not be surprised to see Utah and New Orleans struggle to keep their playoff spots against Ok City, Houston and the Suns.

Cleveland should win the east, and avenge their previous NBA finals defeat at the hands of the Spurs.

My prediction...

The 76ers will still suck.

First off dt, you're probably jinxing Cleveland again. Secondly, how did the Hornets get worse? Okafer > Chandler by lots and lots.

First off dt, you're probably jinxing Cleveland again. Secondly, how did the Hornets get worse? Okafer > Chandler by lots and lots.

First, that *is* possible, but I honestly think Cleveland is the best team in the east, and should win. They were the best team *last*, but had a bad matchup against a team with a very good center and athletic wings. Then they signed two wings that were starters on other teams for their bench, and got Shaq.

Even if Shaq only lives up to pretty modest expectations (15 PPG, 6 Rebounds over 60 games), that is still a big improvement over what Ben Wallace and Shasha brought to the table. When you consider that one only rotation player from last year is liable to be significantly worse than before (Z), and that several are likely to be better (JJ Hickson, Boobie)...I think you can make a good case for Cleveland.

Now, Okafor is a little better than Chandler (not by lots and lots. Okafor may be the worst passer in the league)...his main benefit will be his ability to play more min and games than Chandler. New Orleans had the worst bench in the league though, and they traded two rotation players for basically nothing. Plus, Peja is going to be even worse this year.

Spurs (if there new guy is ok)
vs
Cavaliers

for the title.

Washington wins 48 games+, only to lose in the second round to the Cavs again.

I predict the Grizzlies will have a losing, "rebuilding" season for the 1,436th year in a row.

I actually think a major injury will derail the Spurs season...again. Unless the Lakers have a similar injury to Artest, Odom, or Gasol, the Spurs would have no chance

Denver is too dumb of a team to beat LA, Portland is too young, the rest of the West not talented enough. I'm seeing LA-Cleveland in the Finals :hmm:

The Pistons will wonder WTF did we spend our cap space on Charlie V and Ben Gordon. I still don't get those deals.

Lakers and Cavs in the Finals would be the worst thing ever. Imagine Kobe and Lebron each jacking up 30+ shots in iso situations each games to prove who's better. Jackson is going to have a heart attack and Brown would probably just quit out of frustration.

Lakers and Cavs in the Finals would be the worst thing ever. Imagine Kobe and Lebron each jacking up 30+ shots in iso situations each games to prove who's better. Jackson is going to have a heart attack and Brown would probably just quit out of frustration.

I doubt the new additions to their rosters would be okay with that. Both Shaq and Artest would smack their stars upside the head.

Has anybody had a chance to see any preseason basketball? Greg Oden looks *significantly* improved from last season.

Top Bottom