NC CLXXIII - Pericles of Greece

Perhaps do a Celt game with a classical start??? I really have not been motivated for civ 4 this week. Will try on weekend but I am away part of it.

Finally finished my Immortal + game.
Spoiler :

I went after Peter with Xbows which i picked up along the way to Optics and Astronomy. He had nothing but metal units and archers so this worked out really well for me. I added in a few Cats after trading for Construction. He had quite a few cities and troops, but the combat odds were overwhelmingly in my favor the majority of the time which made the war rather easy. Moscow was rather nice.
Spoiler :

Along with that stuff in Moscow, i also captured the Hindu holy city, and the AP. Later in the game i built the SM which gave me 2:hammers:, 2:gold:, and 2:science: hindu buildings. Not a combination I've had often, but it was quite nice here. I left Peter with 1 city and grabbed some techs from him for peace.
Spoiler :

I libbed MT in 860 while fighting Asoka with a lot of the same troops i had used against Peter.
Spoiler :

I wasn't making a ton of progress with Xbows and Cats though, so i took a cease fire after capturing a couple of cities and paused to add some Cuirs to the mix. During the 2nd Indian war i also made a detour to finish off Peter, who was the first to officially die followed closely by Asoka.
Spoiler :

England and France didn't offer much opposition. The AI had deity troop numbers, but not deity tech pace. They were massively outgunned.
Spoiler :

I kind of goofed up i guess securing peace with France before attacking England. Churchill capitulated in about 3 turns leaving me 7 turns of peace to wait out before moving on. I used that time to upgrade my Cuirs to Cavs, but i would've rather attacked earlier. The rest of the game was mostly just mop up and lots of troop ferrying. I added some airships for my attacks on Shaka, Augustus, and Freddie.
Spoiler :

Yeah, first win in emperor for myself, cultural in 1858 :)

Spoiler :

But I found the map quite easy compared to other. The fact that you can box then rush Peter, and the huge land that is quite secured on the Noth once it's done, leaves you with plenty of possibilities for the win.

After settled next to pig near Peter, I rushed him with my first Phalanx, and then took Moskow. I played friendly with Ashoka, wo became a huge tech partner. I took the rest of Peter's land with Axepult, when Ashoka decided to come in the battlefield by himself. Anyway without Moskow, the russian where far to be a threat.

I only met Churchill when the russian where whiped off the planet, as neither me or them had OB with Peter. He became a very good tech partner as well. De Gaule was the warmonger of the archipelago, but couldn't compete with the tech partnership between indians, english and greece ... One turn before my win, Churchill was taking Paris.

When I met the other continent, just at the time I was winning te liberalism race, I discovered we had a huge tech advance on them. They never became a threat. I stopped teching at this point and started my race for the cultural win with 3 religons (two from Ashoka, and self-founded taoism).

Finally, the biggest difficulty on this game was the managment of the economy with all this land at disposal. I tried not to go too quick on settlement, moved my capital to Sparta (1NE from Boxing Peter's Pig), and made a army of workers to cottage all the jungle. It went quite well, except that i'm not sure giving up the cottage bureau cap for a more centralized production one was the best choice ...

Thx for this map, waiting for the next one :)

Nice win Alharth.

Question though, why did you go for cultural instead of conquest/domination or diplo? If you are that well set up those are generally faster win cons.

Because I don't have the patience for a domination victory, and feel the diplo trick with the apostolic palace a little bit ... Tricky :p

I didn't made a perfect cultutural win either. But I don't play for the score anyway ^^

Because I don't have the patience for a domination victory, and feel the diplo trick with the apostolic palace a little bit ... Tricky :p

I didn't made a perfect cultutural win either. But I don't play for the score anyway ^^

I know how you feel there. I was playing out a continent game this week and it took hours to load up galleons. Galleons chains. Set up 20+ cities right to pump out units. That and manage drafting. You do need to remember globe theatre before you start drafting. (Forgot.) Ultimately you want the AI to chain vassel quickly. On my game this week i found an AI with 2 vassels and 15 cities. Took a while even with rifles to get him to cap. Patience is the key here. No shame in culture, AP or UN route.

Yep, and as I mainly play civ 4 in LAN multiplayer, we don't make too much endless wars, the wait per turn caused by a lot of troops movement would be rebarbative for the guys who are teching or going cultural at this time.

Actually, before coming on this forum, I always through domination was one of the most difficult victories. But i think that's because I never gave importance to the winning date nor the score, only on the win itself. If you think in term of real life time instead of only turn number, culture or space race victories can be much quicker and easy to get i guess ... but maybe I'm wrong :p

Certainly space can be quicker assuming you have no Ai trying to dog pile you. Civ 4 is a very indepth game. This is why so many play it 10+ years after it was released. So many mechanics to explore.

Yep, and as I mainly play civ 4 in LAN multiplayer, we don't make too much endless wars, the wait per turn caused by a lot of troops movement would be rebarbative for the guys who are teching or going cultural at this time.

Actually, before coming on this forum, I always through domination was one of the most difficult victories. But i think that's because I never gave importance to the winning date nor the score, only on the win itself. If you think in term of real life time instead of only turn number, culture or space race victories can be much quicker and easy to get i guess ... but maybe I'm wrong :p

They definitely can be, especially on maps that don't have a single main landmass. I've done the 'ugh, i'll just go space instead of fighting a war on the other side of the world with loads of transports' thing as well.
On the other hand, if you go cuirassiers/cavalry, occasionally you can just keep going, moving huge stacks of mounted troops and pumping out only mounted troops/garrisons in your cities, with a preset destination point. In those scenarios war can be quite quick.

Congrats to all who completed the game! And definitely no shame in a culture victory. The previous Pericles NC was one of the first NC games I played - ended up with a cultural victory (on monarch difficulty) because I couldn't bother with intercontinental warfare. :D

My civving time is very limited at the moment, haven't had time to play this game, even though I really wanted. If there is thirst for a new game, I could put up a game with Justinian in the weekend. Probably won't have time to play that one myself either...

For the next game I'm thinking
Spoiler :
fractal, with a decent start and less decent neighbors

New games are always welcome. I think I got a bit distracted from this game. I think my game was in a good position.

Would definitely be interested in a new game as well, and I assume lots of anonymous players would be as well. Think it's great the series has got started again :)

Think Noble club is my new favorite series! Great games!

Had a go at this @ immortal. Liked the leader and the start.

My game, Immortal NHNE:

Spoiler :
Setteled in place, and expanded a little.. run into peter.. and found copper.
Then i got the chance to steal two workers.. and i grabbed it. and suddenly.. i had axe rushed him.. and taken two of his cities :D:crazyeye:

Got an early alpha.. so i made peace for some filler tech.. and teched construction. and took him out. Except one little all water Iceland city. Which actually was of some importance later in the game.

Then it was Asoka's turn... Poor asoka.. he had the time of his life.. he got 3 religions! and swheggedi peggedi.. and was really going at it.. religions wise. little did he suspect of my bad intentions.. and he capped after loosing 4 of his 9 cities.

Then i tried my first legit space race.. lauched @ 1854 AD.. and got the win @ 1874

Think thats my earliest space race victory, by far. so thats nice :)

And having this guy.. in CS, Rep, with sid sushi.. never tried that before.. and i was wondering why i allways got a scientist laying around.. then i checked the info screen after the game was over.. and.. i got 22 great scientists during this game! It was my most built unit.. haha :D

So again, a great game! Thx hoster.. and other posters :)

zzzz

Congrats Imploding! You are plowing through all these NC games very fast! :D
Spoiler :
With 22 Great Scientists, what other GP did you produce? How many Golden Ages did you run? In a space race, it's good to have 2 early and a chain of 3 at the end. Start first with one GP, second comes from Taj. You get an extra turn of GA if you complete Taj while already in a GA. Then aim to have a variety of GP at the end for the 2, 3 and 4 GP golden ages. Starting a GA with 5 GP is a bit questionable, since it is unlikely to give you more benefit than 5 scientist bulbs would. Then it's only a question of having as many cities as possible. The more you expand, the faster you tech in the end game.

Thx elitetroops! The annual civ 4 wave just hit hard this year :) And finding these kind of games a great recourse to try different challenges and leaders.

Spoiler :

Thx for some great tips! I did run mostly scientist.. rep + cast.. so could probably have optimized the win date quite easy.. I will implement the next time i see the space race as the most viable victory :) If i remember correctly i did not have MoM... so the goldenages was not so desirable.. and i think mostly started them in order to do civic switches. But ofcourse.. I understand that doing as you suggest would probably shave of even more turns :crazyeye::goodjob:

The hunt to beat the Ai's even harder, continues :)

Now I want to find a decent game to try some diety on.. :eek::shifty:

NC 172 Wang Kon was maybe a bit on the easy side on immortal. Perhaps a good game to try on deity. :)

As for golden ages and space games, there is no such thing as not having MoM in a space game. No matter where it is, you take it. ;)

Yeah.. thinking a little over a half a second.. I completely agree.. 3 x golden ages = 12 extra turns in golden ages. That big difference probably worth the investment in hammers and effort, in almost any situation :) So another great tip.

I will definitely try to wipe the world with my wang :mischief: Right now I have started NC166 on diety.. Pretorians ftw! :D It's 875 BC now and have a great setup. So this might be it :)

Top Bottom