NC166 Julius Caesar

Monarch difficulty, Normal speed, no huts:

Spoiler :

The initial tech path was Agriculture -> Bronze Working -> Iron Working. I chose to mine the pigs at Rome instead of building a pasture, and since there were neither cows nor pigs anywhere in the vicinity, I delayed Animal Husbandry until quite late. I founded three cities, whose locations were chosen for fastest possible access to food and, of course, iron. Then I built lots of praetorians. Wars were waged, in that order, against Gandhi (knowing that he builds very few units), Hatshepsut, Sitting Bull, Ashoka, Montezuma, and Ashoka again. Zara Yaqob was a full era ahead of me at the end of the game, but that didn't matter, because he never attacked me; we were at Pleased relations throughout the game due to sharing a religion.

I achieved Domination in 1535 AD. :king: Of course, that's not very impressive given the size of this map and Monarch difficulty. I certainly dawdled for much too long in attacking Ashoka, who finished his research on Feudalism when the war had just begun, and almost instantly upgraded all of his silly archers into longbowmen. :twitch: Even so, the sheer quantity of top-quality units proved overwhelming in the end.

For the longest part of the game I had been living off the spoils of war, slowly losing money at 0% research. Capturing Ashoka's capital, which had the Great Lighthouse inside, cushioned my crashing economy instantly, though. (Losing more than half of my stack against fortified longbowmen might have eased the strain as well.) Currency also confirmed its life-saving reputation. I had to build Research in multiple cities, running 10% on the slider, to reach Currency in time, a mere two turns before my armies would have gone on strike!

The final save (1530 AD, press Enter to win) is attached.

To 500AD, Noble, normal speed, huts
Spoiler :

Gandhi and Hatty are gone. I kept Dellium (AKA Delhi), where Gandhi had kindly built Stonehenge as well as the KV before his untimely demise. So I don't have to worry about border pops and the boost to my finances has been helpful. He also left most of his forests intact so I will be chopping a wonder or two there. Probably the Great Library at least since my workers spent a lot of time chopping out Praetorians instead of cottaging grassland. They're getting around to some of that now, and also getting my numerous Calendar resources online. I've been meaning to trade for it for a while but it was only last turn Monty gave it to me for Aesthetics.

As for Egypt, I kept both Thebes and Memphis, building the GLH in the latter. I only have 3 coastal cities at the moment but should hopefully have 3 more fairly shortly.

The big challenge right now is my intended peaceful expansion phase has been cut short by SB, Zara, and now Monty all settling up close to my borders. They're all going down, of course, but who first? Zara's land looks better from what little I can see of it. Monty's down in the ice/tundra but he has the Pyramids somewhere. SB is probably a tougher nut than I want to crack at the moment. Any advice?
nc166_500ad0000.JPGView attachment Anatis Confodere AD-0500.CivBeyondSwordSave

Immortal to 1200AD

Spoiler :

Fairly easy map. Made even easier by everyone eventually having their own religion (I eventually settled going into Zara's).

After Ghandi I had 2 quick wars with Egypt (they were already warring with Monty). First war ended when I knew I needed currency; so I got a bunch of techs for peace. About 15 turns later (after currency) I took them out completely. Then it was Monty, who capped after I took 2 cities. Then there was SB, who was a Nightmare... Even though I had 20 high-pop cities (also about 2.9 relative strength) and he had 5, he still wouldn't vassal. Finally Vasalled 21 vs 4.

Current situation looks good. Zara is my wimpy friend who I can take out anytime and Asoka is very weak and a long way from anything that can save him. Maces + trebs should finish both, especially as I'll avoid trading PPress to Zara. Only stupid play by me was forgetting I was organized; I should've got CoL early and spammed courthouses. At 1200AD, I still didn't have CoL and zero courthouses with 21 cities.

Screenshots:

Finally was ready to take Ghandi:

Taking the last Egyptian city:

Invading Monty:

For SB I got him to put his stack in the open, and took it out with half of my own stack (the other half were attacking from the north)

Taking SBs last city:

Final situation:

Hoping for ~1400AD win. It all depends on how quickly Asoka caps. If it's just 2 cities (split stack), then I think I'll get it easy.

Immortal, standard NH/NE
1340 domination

Spoiler :

Alright so I opened with a warrior and teched: Agriculture -> Hunting -> Bronze working -> The wheel -> Iron working. Skipped animal husbandry and mined the pigs.

Stole one worker from ghandi and one from hatty, made peace with both a few turns later. This totally gimped them so I could easily settle both locations (below).

Grew cap to 2 and pumped out 2 settlers, one of which settled 1S of the north copper. This city later became my bank, with all the river tiles and double gems in reach. The other settler grabbed the south copper (1N) and became an awesome production city later.

Had a few turns before IW came in so I prebuilt another settler, finished the raxes, built a handful of axemen, started roading to ghandi and prechopping forests. The iron popped in a not so hot location... Raced my settler there but couldn't settle on it due to scumbag sitting bull settling 2E of it, so I had to settle 1W of it.

With no culture buildings I had to make due with whipping and chopping until I eventually lost the iron to sitting bull. Annoying. Chopped a library when writing was in to reclaim the iron deposit.

Ghandi fell easily, so I doubled back and took out hatty. During the war, monty was plotting and I had to send a few units to my neighbouring cities but it turned out he was going after hatty as well. I let him suicide his stack and then took all of hatty's cities easily.

At this point I turned to Monty because I was sharing religion with sitting bull and zara. I noticed monty was plotting again as he sent a not so insignificant stack through my territory to sitting bull... I let him declare war and then joined sitting bull in the same war.

I actually had a bit of a problem breaking the lines because of his upgraded axes (which pwns CR noobatorians and at this point I didn't have feudalism so no proper stack protection). After a bit of trading I eventually came through, and with the help of cats and trebs I seized two of his cities and capped him.

Then I turned to zara because he was running away with techs but he had a non-existant military. I declared on him and took a city, after which SB stabs me in the back. I had managed to send continous troops from my 11-something cities but I also had to whip a few longbowmen to keep him at bay. I had previously won the vote from apostolic palace so I could vote him out of the war which gave me ample time to deal with zara. Capped another two of his cities before he yielded.

I then turned my now two stacks and attacked SB from two directions. Took 3 cities, and Zara took a not so well protected city in the north, which was enough to cap him and win the game. The indians had been isolated due to being in the wrong religion and voted out of trading partners from the AP, so all he did was tech like crazy.

Overall the map was pretty straightforward and easy which I appreciate having been away from the game for 6 months. 1340AD is actually my second best finnish date on immortal and I could have beaten it by at least 100 if not 200 years if I didn't play sloppy and stopped micromanaging halfway through, so I'm a bit disappointed in that.

Also, took a bunch of pictures but CBA uploading them to imgshack :p

To 1200AD, noble/standard/events
Spoiler :

I chopped out the Great Library and Parthenon in Dellium. I've popped 1 GS (for an Academy) and 2 prophets. One of these built the Temple of Solomon for extra income while the other is being saved for a golden age.

I have a modest tech lead over Asoka, everyone else is 4 or more techs behind. As far as I can tell, I'm the only one with Guilds and Gunpowder.

Monty has been at war with Zara forever. SB and Asoka both DoWed the former on the same turn. I think this was probably a Buddhist AP resolution. Monty and I are both Hindu and neither of us is a member. So for a while I was the only one not at war and enjoying OB with everyone.

However, I continued to build my military up and DoWed Zara a few turns ago. He'd taken a barb city on the coast at the northeastern edge of my empire. It also had a 3rd source of Iron (never can have too many :)) so I went for that one first. I'm now bringing my troops westward to attack the main part of Ethiopia.

Plan right now is to vassalize or eliminate Zara, then quickly turn around to hit SB.
View attachment Anatis Confodere AD-1200.CivBeyondSwordSave

This is a really neat idea! Thanks for running this! I'm currently trying to move up from prince to monarch so playing at monarch level standard speed (left huts and events on - only got one hut (gold) and zero events so far).

Spoiler :
Things seem to be going well so far although I'm pretty sure I've already made a few mistakes (I always overbuild and have never yet managed a successful early rush because I always think I need 'one more thing' before starting).

The known world:
Spoiler :

Best I remember, tech went Agriculture, Hunting, Animal Husbandry, Mining, Bronze Working, The Wheel, Iron Working, Pottery, Writing then thinking probably Math next

Guessing it was a mistake to build the fourth city since I timed third settler to finish with Iron working to make sure I could settle iron? After that it took a long time to hook up so built the fourth settler instead of more warriors... maybe workers would have been better? Do you build barracks or just go straight for the praets? Not sure how much that first promotion matters (thinking take city attack with most of them?).

I can chose to attack Gandhi above me, Hatty below me or Sitting Bull to my right... it seems like Gandhi might be the best choice? He has iron up there don't want him getting it hooked up before I get there?

I feel like I'm already behind schedule but other than maybe the barracks not sure what I could have / should have cut.

Thanks Xunin & Dalamb for the help. Sorry about the spoiler thing will def get it right in the future.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 637
Spoiler :
This is a really neat idea! Thanks for running this! I'm currently trying to move up from prince to monarch so playing at monarch level standard speed (left huts and events on - only got one hut (gold) and zero events so far).

Things seem to be going well so far although I'm pretty sure I've already made a few mistakes (I always overbuild and have never yet managed a successful early rush because I always think I need 'one more thing' before starting).

The known world:
Spoiler :

Best I remember, tech went Agriculture, Hunting, Animal Husbandry, Mining, Bronze Working, The Wheel, Iron Working, Pottery, Writing then thinking probably Math next

Guessing it was a mistake to build the fourth city since I timed third settler to finish with Iron working to make sure I could settle iron? After that it took a long time to hook up so built the fourth settler instead of more warriors... maybe workers would have been better? Do you build barracks or just go straight for the praets? Not sure how much that first promotion matters (thinking take city attack with most of them?).

I can chose to attack Gandhi above me, Hatty below me or Sitting Bull to my right... it seems like Gandhi might be the best choice? He has iron up there don't want him getting it hooked up before I get there?

I feel like I'm already behind schedule but other than maybe the barracks not sure what I could have / should have cut.

You're not doing bad so far but some pointers :)
Spoiler :

- You could have cut researching animal husbandry; the only improvement is pigs, which is on a hill, which means you can mine it instead (and put the beakers into researching iron working faster). When rushing you should skip most luxurious items ;-)

- You need at least 1 worker / city, make that a priority before completing buildings in your settled cities. Make the necessary improvements then start roading to your neighbours (for faster war, and also to get their religions and open border trade routes), and pre chop forests. You should also make it a habit to have the roads to your cities complete before settling.

- Every city that produces praets, should have a barracks built first. In this case I'd say 3/4 cities (the iron city is food poor and wont be able to contribute much. In my case I just slow built workers from there). Yes, City Raider is the promotion to get, basically.

- If you chose to attack ghandi, make sure to pillage his iron on the first turn after the war. Don't attack sitting bull because of poor geography, his special unit and protective trait combined makes it less efficient. Hatty is also a possible target but it's better to follow the path with least resistance ;-)

To 250 AD on Deity:

Spoiler :

Gandhi ---> Hatty ---> Sitting Bull ---> Asoka.

Asoka just capped, and I'm stopping there.

Thanks for the game. :goodjob:

@dalamb

Spoiler :
Apart from the usual Worker techs (skip AH if you can), it's usually a good idea to go to Pottery before Iron Working. Cottages are necessary to fuel research and Granaries provide a huge boost to Praetorian production. After that, go to Iron Working. Researching Mysticism before IW is also fine if a Monument will grab some good tiles in your 2nd or 3rd city.

Try to form a stack and attack as soon as IW researched.

After IW, if you have a lot of :commerce: , self-teching Mathematics can help maintain your stack. But you need to be quick enough to trade it with one of the few AIs that go to Alphabet before Math (and not many of them do).

If your economy is shaky, it's better to pick safer trade bait (Aesthetics) to trade for Alpha and Math. After Aesthetics, save up money to research Currency later on.

Spoiler :

I tried this map on deity, normal speed, no huts or events. This was my first deity game with J.C., and I ended up getting spanked by Zara and his vassel Ghandi in the modern era. I usually choose a leader with some mix of Creative, Financial, or Industrious, and take out one opponent with a very early rush to give myself a second capitol. Then I turtle up, do lots of cottaging, build a few key wonders, win Lib and take the map with Cuirassiers and eventually cannons.

But this time, a good economy couldn't overcome Zara's tech and Ghandi's culture plus nukes. Not even after capitulating Hatty, Monty, and Sitting Bull. I even went all the way to the modern era, built Wall Street and the good corporations (Sushi, Creative Const, and Civ Jewelers), plus an attack corp (Cereal Mills). Great economy, great tech rate, but not enough to catch Zara and Ghandi in time. :nuke:

So I tried again. Then again... The next few tries I still had only 7 to 9 cities at 1AD, and everyone else had that too. I quit there each time because I knew it just wasn't enough.

Eventually I realized J.C. doesn't do economics, so I focused on military alone from turn 1. I stole a worker from Ghandi in 3760, and teched BW, Mysticism (to grab gems near the copper), Wheel, IW (in 1920 BC), then Pottery. Fortunately Zara teched Alpha before IW and I traded for Writing, then very slowly made my way to Aesthetics. I burned through all my forests ASAP producing barracks and settlers. I kept Ghandi off-balance and away from metal with a couple Woodsman warriors, then attacked him with my first 2 Praetorians in 1600BC.

I finally got Aesthetics in 825BC, then traded for Alpha after putting in a few turns. I wiped out Ghandi in 625BC then attacked Zara 3 turns later, using the cash from captured cities to research Currency. I traded Currency for Monarchy, Calendar, and Masonry. I chopped the Mausoleum of Maussollos in one of Ghandi's cities, which is the only wonder I built all game. I tried to chop the Parthenon in another, but it got taken a couple turns before I finished. I used the fail gold to limp to Feudalism in 50 AD and Zara capitulated to me the same turn. Hatty had attacked me in 275 BC while I was still working on Zara, but I was able to defend myself until Zara gave up.

Spoiler :

This time at 1 AD I had 15 cities. So when Asoka won Liberalism in 250 AD I wasn't quite as panicked as I might normally be. Monty gave me a bit of a boost by attacking Hatty in 350 AD, and I capped her in 450. I thanked Monty by attacking him next, and he capped in 740.

By 920 I finally had enough catapults (and Praetorians with City Raider 3 + Combat 2) to take on Sitting Bull, who had a castle in every city. He capitulated in 1130 but that was not quite enough territory for the domination victory. So I had to attack Asoka, who, fortunately for me, had totally squandered his massive tech lead. He was researching Physics, but didn't have Rifling or even Steel! So my horde of trebs and praetorians faced only muskets and grenadiers. The wuss capitulated after just one city, and I got the conquest victory in 1200.

The most valuable lesson for me was to always be attacking. The rest took care of itself. I didn't get Animal Husbandry or even Agriculture until very late and it didn't matter. I was also astonished at how forgiving JC's Organized trait is in terms of economics. I thought for sure I'd go broke, but was always able to squeak by, even before Currency. I didn't give Ghandi enough time to make a religious shrine, and never even built the Forbidden Palace. I never built a temple or aqueduct, but relied on conquering resources. I whipped barracks and courthouses, but didn't even build granaries after the first dozen or so cities. I never switched out of slavery or into a religion. I only got 3 great people and used them all for golden ages.

Also surprising to me was the value and useable duration of Praetorians. With City Raider 3 and an axe or two for protection they absolutely ripped up the ancient world and took cities reliably into the Renaissance. With settled Great Generals and Vasselage they were valuable immeditely and eventually came to appear really cheap. I upgraded a couple to Macemen to take Sitting Bull, but only because I had cash to burn.

Spoiler :

Fun! :king:

Haven't played Civ4 for so long that I could be terribly rusty. So, I guess I'll pick Noble difficulty for this game. A few initial thoughts:
Spoiler :

SiP seems to be the best option here. An extra hammer and decent food.

PS! Good to see that the ole' good NC series is still alive and well!

@ Gluteus Maximus:

7-9 cities are great on Deity, you could definately have won the game from there with any leader, even more so with one of the Roman ones. I've already won Deity with being boxed in after 3 cities, from which 1 had no Food but only Horses. At 1 AD, I only had 4 cities, still I won in 1490 AD by Domination.
What you need to learn is how to get the maximum out of your cities and how to do with less Workers probably, because those are the keys to conquering Deity. Once you're able to pull of 200 BPT at 1 AD and manage 7 cities with 6-8 Workers, there is only little chance to lose the game. Unfortunately, you havn't posted any saves, otherwise I could give you better critique.

Just wanted to say this, and: Aqaeducts and Temples I never build on any difficulty, unless an Aquaeduct in the capital and Temples if SPI and having the AP-religion, both things not always though.

Someone else once wrote, "all you need to win by war on Deity are Granaries" , and that really is true. Barracks and Forges can still be good though, but those are already situational. Everything else is usually superflous or capital only.

Haven't played Civ4 for so long that I could be terribly rusty. So, I guess I'll pick Noble difficulty for this game. A few initial thoughts:
Spoiler :

SiP seems to be the best option here. An extra hammer and decent food.

PS! Good to see that the ole' good NC series is still alive and well!

Noble could still be a challenge when you come back rusty. Be careful. .

@Seraiel

Wow, to me that seems very impressive to win Deity after getting boxed in at 3 cities. I definitely must not be maximizing the potential of my cities.

I'm attaching a few 1AD saves. The first try was 7 cities, 121 BPT, 3 workers. The second try was 8 cities, 156 BPT, 5 workers. The third try was 10 cities, and (I think) about 150 BPT and maybe 4 or 5 workers, but I had a recent DOW from Zara before finishing Ghandi, and I didn't feel strong enough to handle both.

Even on the successful attempt (try 5), I had only 150 BPT at 1AD. So that may be something I need to work on. Though that was the attempt with 15 cities and 12 workers, so I guess that's what saved me.

I am surprised Courthouses are not necessary to win by war on Deity. I feel like I don't pump out enough military if I don't have at least 12 cities, but with that many I tend to go broke. At least without a Bureaucracy cottage capital. Though I may not have built so many courthouses if they weren't so cheap for JC. I could also be squandering Diplomacy opportunities.
Spoiler :
For instance, everyone hated Monty, so it may not have been the best choice to capitulate him early.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement!

Oh, I play with the interface in Spanish. I don't think that will cause any problems when opening the saved files, but the city names may look odd.

Attachments

• NC166 Gluteus Maximus 0001 d. C.1stTry.CivBeyondSwordSave
    195.5 KB · Views: 78
  • NC166 Gluteus Maximus 0001 d. C.2ndTry.CivBeyondSwordSave
    187.7 KB · Views: 159
  • NC166 Gluteus Maximus 0001 d. C.5thTry.CivBeyondSwordSave
    204.4 KB · Views: 73
Save 1:
  • Your capital is small, and it's not working the food, but you re-assigned the Food the the 4th city. This would be a big no-go for me, because the capital is your most important city, and it needs to grow, to work as many Cottages as possible. I had to look this up in my savegames, but from a game that's very well comparable with yours (Hatty, Standard / Normal Domination) I've seen, that my capital is size 10+ at 1 AD. I'm sure, there are games, where it only was something like size 8-9, but there are also games, where I had more Food and whipped less, so that it was even bigger. Size 5 at 1 AD is really too small. Never ever take the only source of Food from your capital, decide to let the arbitary city not grow large, it's not as important as the city that runs Burocracy and maybe has an Academy on top.
  • City 2 and 5 are also small, this is 1. because the city again has no Food, and the other city is working a Plains-Mine that drains most of it's Food, but it's not working the awesome Floodplains that would have been available. Plains are tiles that are not worth working, because they cost too much Food. I once ran calculations on a Plains-Mine in a Size 15 HE/Globe-city (note that thhe whip is already quite ineffective at size 15) , and still, whipping got me 1 more :hammers: / turn than working the Plains-Mine would have gotten me, so Plains actually cost :hammers: !
  • You have to seriously work on your Worker-management. You got Roads on almost every tile, but you got 2 unimproved Dyes and 1 unimproved Gems. Just imagine, how much :commerce: that is! Also, one Worker is building a riverside Grassland Farm, you should always improve resources before everything else, and don't build so many roads. You need 1 Road from city to city, but only if you go to war, because then, slow-moving 1-move-units have to get to the front. Before that, I do mostly without roads, because 2-move-Workers with good management don't need them. Also, don't always build a road on a mine, only because you moved on a hill. If you become good, it's very unlikely, that the game will go until Railroads, and even then, Worker-turns are much more valuable early, as they are then, so skip or delay the roads.
  • Try to not found cities that don't have food, unless it's for capturing a strategic resource. Settlers are expensive units, ok, Julius is IMP, so when whipped, they're not that expensive, but still, every Settler is an investment, and he has to pay back. Cities without Food don't pay back, they drain the economy with their maintenance and produce too little to be effective. Better go for 4 good cities, than for 7, of which 3 are crap.
  • You don't have Civil Service at 1 AD. You should! Think about your path of research, don't go for techs, that have no benefit for you. You got Compass (awesome tradegood, but no value) , Construction, Calendar and Monarchy. How would it be, if you had CoL + Civil Service for those? I don't know exactly which one's you self-teched, but self-teching Calendar i. e. is a big no-go again, because AIs always tech Calendar. Same for Monarchy, and Compass is only good when being totally backwards. Focus on getting Alpha, Maths, Currency, and then prioritize CoL + CS.
  • City 2 builds a Monestary (Monestaries = bad buildings, except for maybe 1 to spread Religion, you could run OR though, so no need) . City 3 builds an Aqueduct, also not necessary, the city is only :yuck: from having poisened water. City 4 has a Library, it has no commercial value though. Only build what's absolutely necessary, try to evaluate every build in single, calculate the payback time like "Library brings x commerce, costs y hammers, x / y = payback time in turns" .
  • Whip more, in order to be able to play more aggressively. Green mines are basically equal to the whip, so in war, whip them away to get more units. Grow onto them in peace-times, to save maintenance.
  • Try to improve your diplomacy. Most leaders are cautious or below to you, no wonder they declare war on you. Gift them some techs if you can, to get the +4 through fair trade, try to get everybody on pleased at least, most leaders cannot DoW at pleased, and those who can, have seriously low chances for it.
  • Assign your Espionage. Always valuable, to know what one civ is researching. Think of this, after you have met the 2nd civ, because then, you have to decide. Think of it again, once you've met a fast teching civ, like Asoka, Mansa or Peter.
  • Save :hammers: on less Military Police. You need 1 unit as a maximum per city, many can do with 0 though. You got 2 in some.
  • The buddhist Monestary is even more unnecessary as I thought. Your State Religion is Judaism, don't spread religions that are not your state, unless aiming for culture.
  • Don't split your forces too early. You got 13 Praets, that's great, but they're not together. Moving troops in single is good, but try to stack your forces better, and only go against 1 city at a time in the beginning.
That's all from save 1. I guess there can be found more in save 2 and 3, but I lack the time, so this is my advice for the moment. I think it's also enough to work on.

Hth.

I am surprised Courthouses are not necessary to win by war on Deity. I feel like I don't pump out enough military if I don't have at least 12 cities, but with that many I tend to go broke. At least without a Bureaucracy cottage capital. Though I may not have built so many courthouses if they weren't so cheap for JC. I could also be squandering Diplomacy opportunities.
Spoiler :
For instance, everyone hated Monty, so it may not have been the best choice to capitulate him early.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement!

Forgot to comment on this:

Courthouses can be needed sometimes, but aren't needed most of the times. When they're cheap, like with Julius, they're imo musthaves, because it's very hard to beat i. e. 4 saved :gold: for 2 population less, but if those 2 populations were i. e. 4 populations, every population only had to work a meager 2 :commerce: tile to outweigh the Courthouse by far!
I played a Huge / Epic / Conquest game once, where I had 50+ cities, then, Courthouses are definately needed, or like when playing with Corporations, but earlier, the saving from a Courthouse must be evaluated against the tiles that get whipped away. If a city has nothing else to build, a Courthouse can be worth it, but usually, units are the better choice.

And you're welcome :) .

I btw. laughed at the location where you live ^^ . Reminds me of a joke I once heard: What is green and looks through the keyhole? Spynach ^^ .

Noble, Normal, NHNE - 1565 AD Domination victory.
Spoiler :
Spoiler victory screen :
Spoiler score :
Buddhism that Gandhi founded became the most influential world religion. Due to good relations with the rest of Buddhist camp, I couldn't decide any other targets than Monty and Sitting Bull. Monty first and then SB. Used praets/pults to annex them both.

Not long after a quick medieval capitulation-war against Asoka which gave me an access to a Horse resource, I launced a Cuirassier/Cavalry attack against Gandhi and finally, against Zara.

Speaking of economy, it was really difficult to find the location for the 2nd city. Decided for a coastal city to the west eventually. Constructed the GLH there as well. The rest of cities were even trickier. The 3rd city to the south became a production city and the 4th one was used for cottage growing for Rome, the capitol. Also had to settle a poor city to the southwest in order to acquire Iron.

The final save has also been attached.

Attachments

• NC166 Julius Caesar AD-1565.CivBeyondSwordSave
    233.1 KB · Views: 175
Noble, Normal, NHNE - 1565 AD Domination victory.
Spoiler :
Spoiler victory screen :
Spoiler score :
Buddhism that Gandhi founded became the most influential world religion. Due to good relations with the rest of Buddhist camp, I couldn't decide any other targets than Monty and Sitting Bull. Monty first and then SB. Used praets/pults to annex them both.

Not long after a quick medieval capitulation-war against Asoka which gave me an access to a Horse resource, I launced a Cuirassier/Cavalry attack against Gandhi and finally, against Zara.

Speaking of economy, it was really difficult to find the location for the 2nd city. Decided for a coastal city to the west eventually. Constructed the GLH there as well. The rest of cities were even trickier. The 3rd city to the south became a production city and the 4th one was used for cottage growing for Rome, the capitol. Also had to settle a poor city to the southwest in order to acquire Iron.

The final save has also been attached.

Wow thats a good noble win and it is real. Well done.

@Seraiel

Thank you for your extremely generous commentary. You're right, my worker management sucks. At least it is nothing like what you recommend. I did do better with the workers on the successful try, but I still put roads everywhere. I'll work on that.

I researched Compass as trade bait for Calendar, Construction and Currency. I'd had Calendar for 5 turns already, so you're right I should have been improving those tiles. At the very least I should have mined the gems tile soon after getting IW. I've no idea what I was thinking for the aqueduct and Buddhist Monastery, though I had converted to Judaism the previous turn, hoping to avoid a DOW.

Thanks also for the payback calculation advice. What is a good interest rate anyway for before 1AD? Also thanks for suggesting Currency -> Code of Laws -> Civil Service instead of Construction, Calendar and Monarchy. If I beeline for that and time Library use better I should be able to switch into Bureaucracy during a GA.

For reference in the following comment, mejor = better, mala = bad, and peor = worse. As they say sometimes in Guatemala, mejor en Guatemala que en Guatepeor!

Top Bottom