Nebuchadnezzar griefing me with his great prophet

jogi

Chieftain
I'm currently playing a game as Celts, naturally trying to take advantage of their religious edge. I also went for an early Pictish warrior rush and conquered Arabia. Of course after this I get immediate denouncements from almost every leader, plus DoWs from half of them.

Later on, I'm minding my own business spreading Buddhism to a nearby city state with a great prophet. Almost immediately after I've done this, Nebu steps in with a GP of his own and converts it to Hinduism. I think "whatever", and move on. But he's not done. A few turns after this, he sails up to my capital (and holy city) and converts it, too. Argh. On top of that, I've almost completed Borobudur, and I don't intend on spawning 3 Hindu missionaries. So I begrudgingly trek my GP back home to undo his dirty work, which takes quite a while. I figure his prophet must be long gone by now. But Nebu was waiting in the shadows. Not two turns after I pop my GPs LAST conversion to turn Edinburgh back, Nebu sneaks up and turns it again! Cheeky bastard. :lol:

So now I've learned my lesson and surrounded my capital with units to prevent him from converting it again, since he STILL has his GP lurking somewhere nearby. He's apparently quite intent on keeping Buddhism down. Meanwhile Elizabeth completed Borobudur, and every civ I know is hostile toward me. Should be an interesting game. :crazyeye:

:lol:

Kinda funny hearing Nebu religious "zealoting" it up. Did you ask Nebu to stop spreading his religion to your cities after he converted the first city of yours? That sometimes works... but from reading your story and Nebu being cheeky like that, he probably would have replied, "lol, nope!"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if an inquisitor is stationed in the city, it cannot be converted by missionaries/prophets right?

(edit for my poor spelling in the morning)

If you found religion, AI tends to nuke your capital with GP. So rush buy Inquisitor and leave him in your capital if you see him coming. From what I noticed, AI seems to go only for capital, and if Inquisitor is there, he leaves. Sometimes, he can convert your second highest pop city, but won't bother with less populated cities.

if you didn't found religion, but adopted it instead, well, good luck. You can try to keep preferred religion with Inquisitors, but expect that your cities will be nuked left and right. :lol:

Yes - posting an Inquisitor in or around the city or cities that you want to protect will stop the AI from carrying out any conversions there. No need to surround cities with military units.

As also mentioned - if Nebby is friendly or trustworthy you can ask him to stop converting your cities. He may say 'OK' and honour the promise.

Nebby never honors his promises to not spread his one and only religion. He will spread it.

An inquisitor in your city and the prophet moves on.

I'm currently playing a game as Celts, naturally trying to take advantage of their religious edge. I also went for an early Pictish warrior rush and conquered Arabia. Of course after this I get immediate denouncements from almost every leader, plus DoWs from half of them.

Later on, I'm minding my own business spreading Buddhism to a nearby city state with a great prophet. Almost immediately after I've done this, Nebu steps in with a GP of his own and converts it to Hinduism. I think "whatever", and move on. But he's not done. A few turns after this, he sails up to my capital (and holy city) and converts it, too. Argh. On top of that, I've almost completed Borobudur, and I don't intend on spawning 3 Hindu missionaries. So I begrudgingly trek my GP back home to undo his dirty work, which takes quite a while. I figure his prophet must be long gone by now. But Nebu was waiting in the shadows. Not two turns after I pop my GPs LAST conversion to turn Edinburgh back, Nebu sneaks up and turns it again! Cheeky bastard. :lol:

So now I've learned my lesson and surrounded my capital with units to prevent him from converting it again, since he STILL has his GP lurking somewhere nearby. He's apparently quite intent on keeping Buddhism down. Meanwhile Elizabeth completed Borobudur, and every civ I know is hostile toward me. Should be an interesting game. :crazyeye:

That`s pretty cool. Nice to hear the AI is being a pain in a non massive buffed up way.

or you can declare war on him and kill/capture the prophet. My favorite is when they have not used any of their use turns and you can settle him for a holy site.

That's interesting, I wasn't aware that inquisitors had a passive blocking effect like that. I'm definitely going to keep that in mind from now on.

Kinda funny hearing Nebu religious "zealoting" it up. Did you ask Nebu to stop spreading his religion to your cities after he converted the first city of yours? That sometimes works... but from reading your story and Nebu being cheeky like that, he probably would have replied, "lol, nope!"

Yeah, I did try asking him to stop, but he was already hostile toward me, so I might have only made the problem worse. :lol: I got my comeuppance and converted Babylon and another city of his later on.

That`s pretty cool. Nice to hear the AI is being a pain in a non massive buffed up way.

That's what I thought too. He's certainly keeping me on my toes.

or you can declare war on him and kill/capture the prophet. My favorite is when they have not used any of their use turns and you can settle him for a holy site.

Yeah, I was really close to doing that, but my economy wasn't in great shape at the time and I had a trade route with him.

As also mentioned - if Nebby is friendly or trustworthy you can ask him to stop converting your cities. He may say 'OK' and honour the promise.

Nope, he will not. Not even even when you have five times bigger army, at least not in my games. :crazyeye: He seems way to confident with his Walls of Babylon. :lol:

Usually when that happens I'll just nuke their capital with my own GP. If they're already hostile toward me, then...nothing wrong with more red modifiers!

Found a solution to AI nuking your cities after he refuse to stop it. Send him prophets on your own, refuse to stop and keep nuking his cities. He'll run back to his capital with his GP. :lol:

Mayan nuked my city twice and refused to stop it, so I pick up three GP and send it to his capital... then just keep nuking it whenever he restores his religion. If that's the way he's gonna play, I can bring out GP more quickly then he can, plus I've got missionary spam belief for my religion. Let's play religious war. :lol:

I have found that you can convert AIs who did not found a religion, no problem. But if you convert ANY ai who founded a religion, then that "opens the doors" for AIs to convert YOU.

So: if you don't want pesky conversions of your cities, then limit your conversions to "neutral" AIs and city states.

Yes - posting an Inquisitor in or around the city or cities that you want to protect will stop the AI from carrying out any conversions there. No need to surround cities with military units.

How do i do this? I never seem this option.

That diplo option will appear after an AI has converted one of your cities. It cannot be used preemptively.

I have found that you can convert AIs who did not found a religion, no problem. But if you convert ANY ai who founded a religion, then that "opens the doors" for AIs to convert YOU.

So: if you don't want pesky conversions of your cities, then limit your conversions to "neutral" AIs and city states.

Yes, you can convert AIs with no religion and they won't complain even if someone else converted them, but some AI tend to nuke your city with GP even if you have religion on your own. (might depend on diplomacy tho, not sure).

Guys who always send me their stupid prophets are Mayans, Ethiopia, Arabia, Morocco, Polynesia, Egypt and Babylon (if they finds one). Ottomans are also there, but they often don't find religion, but if they do, you can expect a prophet at one point.

AI's that I've rarely ever seen send prophets or are willing to stop if you ask them are Byzantium and Siam... and sometimes Spain and Indonesia (depending on your diplo)

Celts are kinda awesome with their use of religion. In one game, Boudicca and me clashed because she dropped two cities right next to me (she had place to expand, but nope, she chose to pick spots right next to me). I ask her not to settle, she refused and turn hostile. Next thing I know, she send dozen of missionaries and convert all of my cities (including Capital with GP) and there's huge number of units next to my boarders. I check out her religion and it has "Just War". It didn't turn out well for me, lost two of my cities before she accepted peace. :rolleyes:

Next game, please, with no Celts. :lol:

anyway, I've notice two times when AI is more willing to nuke your cities: if you propose your religion as World Religion, or if you build Grand Temple (they try to fight your pressure, especially if there's no-religion civ between you).

Top Bottom