[BTS] Need Combat Help

Lymond often said that Toku is best for learning, without special traits you could fully focus on basics (traits are already advanced content).
You should forget about playing on Warlord :) Simple reason, you want yourself and the AI being equal.
I think Noble means neither you or AIs get bonuses.
edit: nice timing Lymo!

Ha..yep...Toku is good indeed since the player focus on things more important than traits/uniques, which you can win easily without having to think about. There are far more important concepts to learn right now.

Yep, Noble is neutral difficulty. KF - the struggle you are having now has little to do with difficulty level. The idea to get away from is that giving the AI bonuses is going to help you win. Learning to play the game better is going to help you win.

Like others have said, I suspect you need peace help more than combat help. Just focus on the basics:
Expand. Build cities, and acquire resources.
Put your cities in good locations that have at least one food resource each.
Build enough workers, and make sure all your citizens are working improved tiles (or use slavery if that's not possible).
Each city should have a granary and some culture. Other buildings are situational and often unnecessary.
Manage diplomacy. If your neighbor is "annoyed" or "furious" they'll probably attack you at some point, so be prepared.

It sounds simple enough, but it's all about the details. If you can get good at all those things you'll crush the lower difficulties without any fancy combat tactics.

Please play on Noble. You will be getting guidance and I assure you that you will do fine with help. Noble is actually an easy level once you understand a few things, but playing Warlord level does nothing for you...at all. Play with Tech Trading on - it is a normal setting and an important thing to learn as you move up levels. Also, please play without huts and events or at least huts. Most here play with them off, but especially for learning it is giving you a false positive....free gold and free techs when you need to learn how to tech and how to build an economy.

Hannibal is fine. Personally, I recommend Washington as he has strong but not OP traits and irrelevant uniques.

As for turnsets, 5 to 10 is a good benmark..however, you don't necessarily need to hold firm to this. Most important thing is stopping at key decision points or when you have questions or uncertainty. Post the game for analysis at turn 0 and feel free to always give your thoughts on how you would do things. This is good so we understand your thought process and remedy any of your bad habits or misconception.

Once we decide on where you will settle, you will build a worker first and then post after the worker completes..so around 15 turns on the first turnset. Warrior or scout will roam around the start position in apprx. 10 tile radius to find good city spots.

Lymond often said that Toku is best for learning, without special traits you could fully focus on basics (traits are already advanced content).
You should forget about playing on Warlord :) Simple reason, you want yourself and the AI being equal.
I think Noble means neither you or AIs get bonuses.
edit: nice timing Lymo!

Hannibal should be fine. He does have an early UU that makes an aspect of the game easier, dealing with spear/axe/sword barbs without metal, but that's a very minor thing compared to something like being able to roll over half the world with Immortals. Especially on a relatively low difficulty.

Huts can be very unbalancing, since you can get something like Bronze Working -> Iron Working for free on T10 or something crazy like that while your neighbour gets a small sum of gold and a map. They become more and more favorable for the AIs as the difficulty increases, as well, since later on AIs start with a free Scout, which will never trigger a barb attack, and later still AIs will start with two free scouts so they'll eat up all the huts quickly and leave nothing for the player. Events aren't as bad, but they do require a slightly adjusted playstyle and there are a few events that are potential game changers. To name one example getting the event that spawns I believe 6-8 barbs right outside your borders out of nowhere is pretty bad, especially if you happen to trigger that event and you're next to whoever build Great Wall.

Tech Trading should be on, as having it off shuts down a large amount of diplomacy options and those are very important to learn. Dealing with having Shaka as a neighbour, for instance, is much harder without tech trading than with it, since you've got a lot less options.

I'd also recommend playing on Noble, it's a really easy difficulty to play on if you're at all familiar with the game's mechanics, and rest assured that the regulars here who play on Deity are very familiar with the game's mechanics.

If you need huts to win your game you are in real trouble. If you play huts and events this will put off a lot of people helping you. At present you are struggling just to win the game?

On warlord you could be getting free settler and workers from huts. This would make any help rather broken. On Noble you would not get this. It almost makes scout first on warlord viable as the AI would start with warrior only. This won't work on higher levels where worker is 99% right most of the time.

You don't learn the game by relying on huts and free units. You also get 3 free wins vs babs a 10% tech bonus vs the AI too. Plus other discounts on other variables which makes war and expanding cheaper. Warlord is really stacked in the players advanage. You need to embrace game functions.and win on your own merit.

If you really want to play with huts set up a private game. Try the forum game without.

Note also the AI is set to Noble. The player just gets different bonuses or penalties for higher levels. The Ai will never get workers or settler from huts.
Alright, Hannibal, Pangea, Noble, no Huts, tech trading on it is. Will post first save as soon as I get the game started.

Alright, game begun as planned. Looks like I rolled a solid start (coast with Gold and Corn), but I await guidance).

Attachments

• Knightfall BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    29 KB · Views: 147
Alright, game begun as planned. Looks like I rolled a solid start (coast with Gold and Corn), but I await guidance).

I recommend starting a new thread for this as it will draw more attention. Post a pic as well

I recommend starting a new thread for this as it will draw more attention. Post a pic as well
Good idea. Will do.

That save crashes my game?
Now idea why that would happen. I'm playing on the latest version (3.12), and no mods except for a hack to make the game able to run in borderless window. Are you playing on Steam?

Good idea. Will do.

Now idea why that would happen. I'm playing on the latest version (3.12), and no mods except for a hack to make the game able to run in borderless window. Are you playing on Steam?

Uhhh I think the latest version is 3.19...

Yes, I'm playing from Steam, but that doesn't change the fact that it's been 3.19 for a long while now.

Loads fine for me. Choose religion can be a bit confusing.

No tech brokering will certainly slow the Ai down. Really no need for that as they should be backwards on Noble anyway.

I can't tell which version of civ 4 you are playing here. There is no civ 3.12 patch.

Patches for civ 4 are - 3.03, 3.13, 3.17 and 3.19.

Uhhh I think the latest version is 3.19...

Yes, I'm playing from Steam, but that doesn't change the fact that it's been 3.19 for a long while now.

Loads fine for me. Choose religion can be a bit confusing.

No tech brokering will certainly slow the Ai down. Really no need for that as they should be backwards on Noble anyway.

I can't tell which version of civ 4 you are playing here. There is no civ 3.12 patch.

Patches for civ 4 are - 3.03, 3.13, 3.17 and 3.19.
You're right it is 3.19, my mistake. The reason I asked about Stream is because I'm using the GOG version, so I figured maybe the crashing was caused by DRM interference or something like that.

Steam version does have some issues, but it is related to assets caused by Steam releasing their own version to accommodate MP. DRM is not the issue. On the other hand, I've read that the GOG version has had some issues, but not sure of what the issue is specifically.

Steam version does have some issues, but it is related to assets caused by Steam releasing their own version to accommodate MP. DRM is not the issue. On the other hand, I've read that the GOG version has had some issues, but not sure of what the issue is specifically.
Search me.

Top Bottom