Need testers for new editor

Version 0.7.9 is up.

You can now open compressed biq files directly. However, when saving it will always save as uncompress.

I grew tired of lazy users who don't read the doc ;).

Credits to Undertoad who gave me the link to the SaveExpand utility.

howdy steph,

"Download version 0.7.9, support compressed biq"

ooooo! [*grin*] that otta stop a few support requests! plus, it will likely reduce the need for issuing flame ******ant clothing to newbies, as well.

take care,
lee

ooooo! [*grin*] that otta stop a few support requests! plus, it will likely reduce the need for issuing flame ******ant clothing to newbies, as well.

Newbies get flame ******ant clothing :eek: ???

:old: Why, back in the days of Zulu ... :mischief:

;) ,

Oz

Often when I try to load file into editor I get error.
Like this one:
Spoiler :

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.EndOfStreamException: Unable to read beyond the end of the stream.
at System.IO.__Error.EndOfFile()
at System.IO.BinaryReader.FillBuffer(Int32 numBytes)
at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadInt32()
at Steph_CivIII_ExpandedEditor.Objects.Version.Read(BinaryReader reader, Stream stream)
at Steph_CivIII_ExpandedEditor.Objects.VersionSection.Read(BinaryReader reader, Stream stream)
at Steph_CivIII_ExpandedEditor.Objects.Scenario.Read(String FilePath)
at Steph_CivIII_ExpandedEditor.Forms.MainEditor.Open(String FileName)
at Steph_CivIII_ExpandedEditor.Forms.MainEditor.openToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

What version are you using? Did you download the latest one? 0.7.9?

No, it was 0.7.7

I just downloaded 0.7.9, and this error:
Spoiler :

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'E:\games\Civilization III\Conquests\Scenarios\Star Wars Classic test.biq_'.
File name: 'E:\games\Civilization III\Conquests\Scenarios\Star Wars Classic test.biq_'
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
at Steph_CivIII_ExpandedEditor.Objects.Scenario.Read(String FilePath)
at Steph_CivIII_ExpandedEditor.Forms.MainEditor.Open(String FileName)
at Steph_CivIII_ExpandedEditor.Forms.MainEditor.openToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Some scenarios work, some don't.

I suppose you read the doc and uncompress the file...

Up to version 0.7.8 my editor didn't load compressed file. So compressed biq would no work, and uncompress would.

Normally version 0.7.9 should be able to uncompress your scenario if needed.

Here it seems it couldn't do that. Try uncompressing by hand.

Up to version 0.7.8 my editor didn't load compressed file. So compressed biq would no work, and uncompress would.

howdy steph,

i _finally_ got around to testing 079 and it gives an error as the previous poster mentioned. the file i used was a copy of the original conquests.biq file.

the part that i was most interested in was the info in the actual error dialog. it mentioned it was unable to find the *.biq_ file. that file does NOT seem to exist until just AFTER the error msg shows up. if i run the util again - with the *.biq_ file left there from the previous run - it works fine.

perhaps your util needs to do some sort of "wait for it to show up"?

take care,
lee

** edit to identify test file used.

Though I have not used the latest version yet I may help you. If you encounter this exception when loading a file ,check in the regular editor your scenario search folders box. The text should not end with either semicolon or dot-dot, but the last folder's path. Anyways, it was the cause of my load-problem in previous versions.

Though I have not used the latest version yet I may help you. If you encounter this exception when loading a file ,check in the regular editor your scenario search folders box. The text should not end with either semicolon or dot-dot, but the last folder's path. Anyways, it was the cause of my load-problem in previous versions.

howdy Diviner,

dunno if you were talking to me ... [*grin*] ... but my test was run on a copy of the original conquests.biq file. that has NOTHING in the search path field and still chokes on a missing conquests.biq_ file that appears just AFTER the error dialog shows up.

so i doubt that the scenario search folders info is the source of the error in my case, at least.
take care,
lee

That seems to be the problem. I uncompressed the exactly-same-file and everything works just fine.

The SaveExpand utility needs to produce a file with a different file name.

So if your biq is compressed, my editor uncompress it with a new name ".biq_", opens it and then delete it at the end.

It is possible that due to different computer speed, when I tested on my computer the biq_ was created in time to be opened, but for others it is created after.

If it happens to one of you, I'd like to do futher investigation and testing with test version by email, as I can't reproduce it on my computer.

email at stephane.f.david@free.fr if you can help.

The SaveExpand utility needs to produce a file with a different file name.

So if your biq is compressed, my editor uncompress it with a new name ".biq_", opens it and then delete it at the end.

It is possible that due to different computer speed, when I tested on my computer the biq_ was created in time to be opened, but for others it is created after.

If it happens to one of you, I'd like to do futher investigation and testing with test version by email, as I can't reproduce it on my computer.

email at stephane.f.david@free.fr if you can help.

howdy steph,

i'm one of those who SEEM to get the .biq_ file showing up too late for your util. if i try opening the same file a second time, i get the desired result - the compressed file opens. it ALWAYS works that way on my system. i've tried the conquests.biq file and my own files that i made with the standard editor.

if there's anything helpful for this that i can send you, lemme know. um, er, NO i won't send you a box with 5 pounds of hundred dollar bills! [*grin*]

i can run a debug version of your util and let you have the results if you wish.

take care,
lee

Hello, I´m German and if I have a biq open always comes following error:

The file "C:\Program Files\Games\Infogrames\Civilisation III\Scenarios\1 MP Mesopotania.biq_" could not be found

Attachments

• Editor.JPG
    Editor.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Editor2.JPG
    Editor2.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 80
Top Bottom