1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nerds in Space

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by Rex Tyrannus, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Rex Tyrannus

Rex Tyrannus 280lbs of gross stupidity

Okay, so just to make sure we continue the trend of having one every few pages...

Roster:
    Rex
    Pholk
    Ozbenno >> just played, fudged the attachment
    Bindamel >> OOP until green beer time
    Whosit << Up, needs save
    mlinneak

2. Rex Tyrannus

Long shift, eh?

3. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

4. Whosit

Whosit Entropic Knight

Save is in my possession. Will play in the next couple of days.

5. Whosit

Whosit Entropic Knight

Revenge of the Nerds

Time to review the troops. I think I'll declare next turn.

What can I do about trade? Not much. Because Ethiopia likes us so much, I ask if he'll donate his 13 gpt to us. He agrees. Joao isn't so generous.

Our whip economy has taken its toll. Lots of unhappiness. Well, hope the war goes well!

Turn 321, 1505 AD

WAR!

And War Weariness. >_<

-End Turn-

Turn 322, 1510 AD

We get Liberalism. I choose Astronomy, considering the map. I can't recall if there was discussion on this. Kinda got lost in the, uh, other stuff.

I pick Gunpowder next. I also sell Sitting Bull Literature + Code of Laws for Drama, some gold, and his map.

I lose some troops attacking an exposed Camel Archer. It was to cover the attack on Damascus, though, but it may have been uncessary. Trebs take care of the defenses.

Turn 323, 1515 AD

I have some bad luck (read: I made some stupid moves) and lose a Pikeman and Praetorian against a Combat III Camel Archer (hate those). After a tough battle, I take Kufah, though.

Turn 325, 1525 AD

Pop a Great Engineer. Switch to Nationalism (10 turns). Hatty has it already, but I wonder if we can sneak the Taj out from under her.

I check to see who will contribute to our coffers. In the end, I can only strong-arm 60 gold from Boudica and 70 from SB. That should about cover our costs for now.

In what may be a controversial move, I sold our two extra sources of Iron to SB and Sury (our worst enemy) for 8 gpt each. Cancel when able, but this should let us stick at 100% through Nationalism.

Also playing hide-and-seek with Saladin's Caravels. Gonna get some Galleons out!

Turn 329, 1545 AD

Galleons in the water. Hopefully this will help turn the tide against the Arabian navy, and let us move troops freely again. Qin demands Education, I refuse. Then I sell Edu to Zara for the rest of Nationalism, Music, and his map.

I do NOT revolt to any new civics just yet.

Now, hopefully you don't mind that I spend our Engineer on the Taj. :)

After gunpowder, we can go 0% sci for a bit and upgrade all of our Galleys.

Turn 330, 1550 AD

Our Golden Age begins.

Unfortunately, our combat Galleon took a lot of damage in its first fight and was eventually sunk. We did manage to sink 3 Arabian Caravels, but we had to retreat from the last one due to the poor state of our remaining ships.

I'm gonna pass it off here. We need to spam a few Galleons so that we can control the sea lanes. Then we can move some of our personel around to where they need to be. Building more troops would be nice, too. We should use the whip sparingly.

As for targets, I'd like to burn Khurasan because it should be an easy hit and it's junk. Maybe we could go south and capture Basra because it has Sugar (which we lack). I'd leave Yamama alone because it's under pressure from Zara.

I don't know if we have the power to take Medina right now, but we can probably snap up peripheral Arabian properties in the meantime.

Attached Files:

6. MyOtherCar

MyOtherCar The answer is 42

If you want to read the book, I've got mine from before I flunked the SAM:
    Spoiler :

7. mlinneak

mlinneak Prince

I'm up now, I see :)

I can't get the save until I get home from work tonight - any tips and comments before then would be appreciated since I should be able to play tonight (or early early tomorrow) around 10-11 pm EST.

:hammer::hammer::hammer:

I will try not to get us killed :blush: and try to get a better navy going as well ;)

8. Rex Tyrannus

Cool. We should probably define the end for this war. Are we looking to extinguish the Arabs, banish them to one of those eastern islands, or take Medina and call for peace?

Roster:
    Rex
    Pholk
    Ozbenno >> heroically provided the save
    Bindamel >> OOP because life is (presumably) more important than some silly game
    Whosit >> just played, killed green people
    mlinneak << Up,

9. Ozbenno

I would like us to take Medina, Narjan and the sugar southern island if possible. Whip out those universities and grab Oxford.

10. mlinneak

mlinneak Prince

1550 AD - Inherited Turn - Looks good

1555 AD
    Rome - Galleon -> University
    Hoth Base Camp - Maceman -> Galleon

1560 AD
    Gunpowder in - select Banking

Hoth Base Camp demands a Colosseum - they are drenched with spittle as I laugh in their faces and send them back to the sweatshops

1565 AD
    Mecca - Library -> Courthouse
    Sink Saladin's CII MII Caravel

1570 AD
    Banking in - select Printing Press

Rome - Observatory -> Bank

1575 AD
    Mon Calamari - University -> Bank

1580 AD
    Zara Yaqob offers us a deal we can refuse so I decline

Damascus - Granary -> Lighthouse
    Trade Liberalism to Hatshepsut for Printing Press, Map and 140 Gold
    This was done as I preferred to trade out Liberalism than Gunpowder - hope that wasn't a :smoke: move.

Printing Press in - select Replaceable Parts

1585 AD
    Kufah - Granary -> Lighthouse

1590 AD
    Ridikulus - Galleon -> University
    North Hoth - Library -> University
    We have a slave revolt in Antium

1595 AD
    Mecca - Courthouse -> University
    Kufah - Lighthouse -> Courthouse

1600 AD
    Rome - Bank -> Theatre

I have upgraded our galleys to galleons. I did turn research down to 0 to make us some cash, next player can bump it back up as desired. I did not whip very much this set as there was a lot of whip anger in several of the cities, and we're in a golden age.
    Saladin suicided most if not all of his Camel Archers on our units that were stationed in Mecca so I moved the troops closer to Medina, we should be able to capture it :please: Also our troops that were slacking off in the south are loaded up and headed to the sugar location. :hammer::hammer::hammer: We are well on our way to Rifles and have a couple of Universities built and more on the way :cool:

The save ~

Attached Files:

11. Whosit

Whosit Entropic Knight

Sounds good. Did you make any civic switches? I didn't notice any mention of that. It sounds like there wasn't a ton of action on the fronts, aside from holding out against Saladin.

I'd actually like us to grab Chemistry so we can build Frigates/Privateers, though I guess I forgot to mention that last turn. Though Rifles are good, too. Heh. Hopefully we can wrap things up with Saladin in the next few sets so we can focus more heavily on infrastructure.

12. Rex Tyrannus

civic switches in a golden age?

Anyhow, I've got it.

13. Whosit

Whosit Entropic Knight

Um, that's sarcasm, right? :p

We have Nationalism available, and maybe some other useful things. Might as well switch when there's no anarchy.

14. ruff_hi

ruff_hi Live 4ever! Or die trying

remember - Rex hasn't played for ages and when he did play he wasn't very good ... you get free civic swaps in a golden age with BtS now.

15. Ozbenno

If the Arabian wars are almost over, why would we want Nationaliam? No idea what we are in but Representation, Bureaucracy, Slavery, Free Trade, Org/Free Religion is what we should be looking at if we are serious about being Space Nerds.

16. Rex Tyrannus

As usual, Ruff has the right of things.
    1. I stink because I'm rusty.
    2. I stink because I never was any good to begin with.

Seriously, back when I was your age, we'd have never wasted a golden age with a big fat anarchy...but then something made me wonder why Whosit would say something so dumb. I mean, that's pholk's job, right? So I checked.

Wha...? When did that happen? Sorta nerfs that one leadership trait that lets you do that all the time, right? Philosophical? Spiritual? Anyhow, with Ruff right, let's see just how far Australian brilliance will get us.

Right again. How do we know? Because I did the exact opposite...

Before:

After:

Not really opposite, but enough that I'm dumb and Ozzy's not. Anyhow, the Arabian war is not all but wrapped up. I chose Nationhood so I could quickly field an army out of my britches. Jokes on me, that army is all musket men. Anyone remember that musketeer game Pholk ran? Boy did they suck.

Anyhow, on to the game. Here's teh power ticker at the beginning of my set.

I did follow Whosit's advice and switched to Chemistry.

Though I thought that was going to get us Grenadiers.

WTF, only frigates? Who's *$#@ I gotta suck to get Grenadiers around here?

Anyhow, war highlights. I took Basra losing two trebs and a Praetorian.

Both sides gained a general. I spent mine on a M*A*S*H* unit.

Which we'll need after we take Medina.

I didn't attack yet. It took about 8 turns to bring the defense down from 100% to 0. In the meantime, I sank all the galleys trying to resupply it. Fun.

In other news, Mecca decided to revolt.

We really need to take out Medina. Then Hatty and new guy announced their engagement.

and that's when other new guy decided to stop giving us money for nothin' and our chicks for free.

Bummer.

Attached Files:

17. Whosit

Whosit Entropic Knight

Military Science is (now) required for Grenadiers. It's often skipped in favor of going straight for Rifling, I think. Anyway, it sounds like we've decisively won control of the sea, so that's very good. And we haven't lost any cities, so that's good, too. :p

Free Religion might not have been the best choice since we're not all chummy with Zara any more. Anyway, Chem does open up Steel for Cannons, which would be nice. Dunno. Also get Drydocks which build boats faster.

Though hopefully we can just crush the Arabs once and for all and start doing some serious teching.

18. Rex Tyrannus

Pholk, wake up. You're up.

Roster:
    Rex >> just played
    Pholk << up now
    Ozbenno
    Bindamel >> OOP, doesn't like us anymore
    Whosit >> just realized he's playing with an idiot
    mlinneak

19. Whosit

Whosit Entropic Knight

:lol: :lol: :lol:

20. mlinneak

mlinneak Prince

Sorry Whosit, no civic changes during my set. I would have to review your post again to see if they were mentioned. If they were, I either missed it or forgot :blush: if they weren't, it just did not occur to me to check for the optimal civics to switch to. I would throw in there that I didn't want to make any changes without consulting the team, because that sounds so much better than "I forgot" but really, I forgot. :sad: