[R&F] Netherlands First Look

I smiled when I heard the Dutch pronunciations but could understand it all the same (so to me it wasn't that bad at all). I like the fact that they kept the Dutch names.
Too be honest I still cringe if I hear Sea Beggar in stead of Watergeus.
The word "Geus" was based on the French (the language of nobility back then) word Gueux (beggar) which was used to negatively describe the Dutch revolter's.
They turned it around and made it into a Dutch word (Geus) and used it with pride (somewhat like the word Yankee).
In Dutch a Geus means freedom-fighter during the 80 years war. Watergeus is basically the "on a ship" version of the word (though they acted more as privateers)
The English, not surprisingly, took the negative form over when translating the name.
When I first saw the name for the Dutch UU in CiV "Sea Beggar" I really didn't understand it at all, until I found out it was the English word for Watergeus.
So I changed the word in the files to Watergeus, problem solved :)).

Can anyone think of a civ that its history and essence would actually have the ability to keep improvements from other civs? Maybe that is something unique one Civ can have. I can't think of one, except the Inca, maybe. When they conquered they imposed their religion, administration, and even art on conquered peoples; they extracted tribute, and even moved loyal populations (mitmaqs) to better integrate new territories into the empire. So what if they were able to use the loyalty mechanism to help turn cities to their empire and keep the improvement. That would be great!
Rome. They were pretty much the Borg of the ancient world. :scan:

Rome. They were pretty much the Borg of the ancient world. :scan:

I am so sorry. That was so obvious I laughed at myself a moment ago. But I think they might not give Rome that ability, (wishful thinking here, by the way). Rome has some serious good stuff already, but who knows what they will change to vanilla civs with the new mechanics and all in the expansion as you and I were discussing yesterday. But the idea of keeping improvements would be awesome for a civ to have.

The reddit reception to Netherlands/Wilhelmina seems to be overall positive, though the negative comments probably got deleted or downvoted to oblivion.

The reddit reception to Netherlands/Wilhelmina seems to be overall positive, though the negative comments probably got deleted or downvoted to oblivion.
Reddit is okay, since I don't go there, but some of these YouTube comments are really toxic. I made a really big mistake by scrolling even lower.

Reddit is okay, since I don't go there, but some of these YouTube comments are really toxic. I made a really big mistake by scrolling even lower.

Youtube comments are full of immature adolescents, ultra-nationalists and internet trolls. :p

Assuming that TV show broke the NDA and broadcast early, are any other Dutch media outlets talking about this now?

I'm doing fine without restricted mode... Then again, I'm used to League of Legends 'team' chat.

UU:
I guess it replaces Caravels(since it says it has increased range, so shall be a replacement but not replace Frigates or Privaiteers), 50/60 with -17 to units and +7 to districts, very very strong.

UI:
Good sea UI, but you need Auckland.

UA:
Good UA, since it gives campuses bonus.

I don't know if someone has already pointed this out but I see that the Loyalty bonus in the LUA is per-turn which makes it seem a lot more powerful. Depending on how the numbers work out it seems as if the Dutch essentially have the stability to stabilize a city (in terms of Loyalty) by trading to/from it. This will likely also help colony cities from breaking away since you would tend to trade back from the to the capital for the food and production boost also.

UU:
I guess it replaces Caravels(since it says it has increased range, so shall be a replacement but not replace Frigates or Privaiteers), 50/60 with -17 to units and +7 to districts, very very strong.

In the First Look video, you can see a Dutch Caravel placed on the map, next to De 7 Provinciën, attacking Indonesia.
My guess it replaces the Frigate or Privateer, or it's a UU on its own.

Top Bottom