Never before seen wonders II - Elimination Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buddhas of Bamiyan - 7+1=8 Has a unique history and was very important place in it's region.
Duomo di Milano - 26
Etchmiadzin Cathedral - 18
Hwangnyongsa - 29-3=26 Not as unique as the other remaining wonders on this list, doesn't deserve to be in first place
Mortuary Temple of Hatshepsut - 19
Royal Palace of Palenque - 9
Serpent Mound - 7

Buddhas of Bamiyan - 9 (8+1) How can those be so low? It would also be a nice reminder that world wonders get destroyed even today.
Duomo di Milano - 26
Hwangnyongsa - 26
Mortuary Temple of Hatshepsut - 16 (19-3) For me, some regions can't have enough wonders in the game, since in real life there is an abundance of them in those regions, like for example France, Egypt and Italy. The ancient name of Alexandria translates as 'Alexandria near Egypt' - so this also isn't a problem. I have a problem with this temple though, for me it's a third rate Egyptian wonder at best. Historical importance is almost zero in contrast to other mortuary temples like those of Seti I, Ramesses II and Ramesses III. Its religious, innovative and architectural importance is almost zero compared to the nearby mortuary temple of Mentuhotep II. The work on the temple is indeed good! - but nowhere near the quality you find in the 'high quality' works like Abydos or the Saqqara Mastabas of the Old Kingdom. And it would be another desert hill wonder! Egypt has so many options, there is really no reason to choose this one. I still think the best options, if you want a temple as an Egyptian wonder, would be the famous and important ones: Karnak, Memphis, Iunu, Abydos, Khemenu, Nekhen.
Royal Palace of Palenque - 9
Serpent Mound - 7

Buddhas of Bamiyan - 9
Duomo di Milano - 26
Hwangnyongsa - 26
Mortuary Temple of Hatshepsut - 16
Royal Palace of Palenque - 9+1=10 - Just to keep it here until Serpent Mound will ultimately fall.
Serpent Mound - 7-3=4 - I compared this to anything else. It failed to prove it's better than any of these stone structures or than Hwangnyongsa (built completely from wood (just mentioned that so that Guandao can't call me "stone-obsesed" :p), so it has to go.

Buddhas of Bamiyan - 9
Duomo di Milano - 26
Hwangnyongsa - 26
Royal Palace of Palenque -(10-3)=7 Mesoamerica already has two wonders, so this is less of a priority for me. Forbidden City and Apadana already took potential bonuses from it.
Serpent Mound - (4+1)=5 Native North America needs a wonder. The world can't continue thinking that all Native Americans were capable of building are teepees. Blah blah blah, stone is better, blah blah blah, a wooden tower that no longer exists is better.

Last edited:
Buddhas of Bamiyan - 9
Duomo di Milano - 26
Hwangnyongsa - 26 + 1 = 27 Should be in the lead
Royal Palace of Palenque - 7
Serpent Mound - 5 - 3 = 2 I agree that the Native Americans need wonders in the game, my favorite for this remains the Cliff Palace. I'm not as interested in Serpent Mound as the other wonders on the list.

Buddhas of Bamiyan - 9
Duomo di Milano - 26
Etchmiadzin Cathedral - 15 (18-3) unknown
Hwangnyongsa - 27
Royal Palace of Palenque - 7
Serpent Mound - 3 (2+1) well known

Buddhas of Bamiyan - 9
Duomo di Milano - 26
Etchmiadzin Cathedral - 15
Hwangnyongsa - 27
Royal Palace of Palenque - 4 (7 - 3) Same reason as before, we already have two Mesoamerican Wonders in the game.
Serpent Mound - 4 (3 + 1) Again, the only worthy mound.

Buddhas of Bamiyan - 9
Duomo di Milano - 26
Etchmiadzin Cathedral - 15 - 3 = 12 I fail to see the reason why this is wonder quality; there's a church 10 minutes away from my house that seems like a better option.
Hwangnyongsa - 27
Royal Palace of Palenque - 4
Serpent Mound - 4 + 1 = 5 Best mound

Buddhas of Bamiyan - 9 - 3 = 6 (Impressive, but not quite world wonder status compared with the rest here)
Duomo di Milano - 26
Etchmiadzin Cathedral - 12
Hwangnyongsa - 27
Mortuary Temple of Hatshepsut - 16 + 1 = 17 (A most excellent and elegant temple made by Egypt's best female ruler)
Serpent Mound - 5

Buddhas of Bamiyan - 3 (6 - 3) -- It's a shame they've been damaged (as have many beautiful wonders in the Near East in recent years, sadly), but I don't think that makes them worthy of inclusion.
Duomo di Milano - 26
Etchmiadzin Cathedral - 13 (12 + 1) -- It is my lot to be forever surrounded by philistines. :(
Hwangnyongsa - 27
Mortuary Temple of Hatshepsut - 17
Serpent Mound - 5

Buddhas of Bamiyan - 3 - 3 = ELIMINATED I hate to be the Taliban here, but opportunity presents itself
Duomo di Milano - 26
Etchmiadzin Cathedral - 13
Hwangnyongsa - 27
Serpent Mound - 5 + 1 = 6 This needs to survive

Duomo di Milano - 26
Hwangnyongsa - 27
Royal Palace of Palenque - 1 (4-3) This wonder is dead and we all know it, why delay the inevitable.
Serpent Mound - 7 (6+1) Mound>Wood

Duomo di Milano - 23 (26-3) It's a good building for sure and it has wonder quality. But I think if it comes to north Italian churches, Santa Maria del Fiore is a better choice
Etchmiadzin Cathedral - 14 (13+1) best wonder on the list, maybe the people that don't know what to do with it should read up on it/Armenian religion?
Hwangnyongsa - 27
Royal Palace of Palenque - 1
Serpent Mound - 7

By the way, I am a bit disappointed to see that all wonders left are so similar. Are you all that much into the religion game that you get rid of all the other wonders?

Serpent Mound - 3 (2+1) well known
Didn't hear of it before this elimination thread ;)

Duomo di Milano - 23
Etchmiadzin Cathedral - 14
Hwangnyongsa - 27+1=28 - I miss a Korean wonder, and this "wooden tower that no longer exists" is a nice choice.
Royal Palace of Palenque - 1
Serpent Mound - 7-3=4 - I'm going to use part of @Guandao's upvote as a reason for my repeated downvote: "Blah blah blah, stone is better, blah blah blah, a wooden tower that no longer exists is better."

Duomo di Milano - 23
Etchmiadzin Cathedral - 14
Hwangnyongsa - 28
Royal Palace of Palenque - 1-3=0 Mesoamerica can wait until it gets a third wonder
Serpent Mound - (4+1)=5 In a region which deserves a wonder, maybe Cliff Palace is more impressive in a way (cause of stone :crazyeye:), but it went down pretty fast in the last match (along with the "big pile of dirt" Monks Mound). Native North American wonders can't catch a break. I wonder if Pueblo Bonito would make a good wonder.

Duomo di Milano - 23
Etchmiadzin Cathedral - 14+1=15 One of the most interesting cathedrals in the world.
Hwangnyongsa - 28-3=25 I'm surprise this is leading.
Serpent Mound - 5

Duomo di Milano - 23
Etchmiadzin Cathedral - 12 (15-3) Architecturally no special feature for the 18th century and small
Hwangnyongsa - 25
Serpent Mound - 6 (5+1) Is often pictured in children's books about Native Americans

Duomo di Milano - 20 (23 - 3) -- There are many other Gothic cathedrals I'd rather have.
Etchmiadzin Cathedral - 13 (12 + 1) -- It was actually begun in the fourth century, and the current structure dates to the fifth. Yes, it's been restored a few times since then, but so has every cathedral or building of any significant age.

Hwangnyongsa - 25
Serpent Mound - 6

Duomo di Milano - 20
Hwangnyongsa - 25 + 1 = 26 It is historically important in Korea, visually distinctive and a great choice for a Pagoda wonder.
Serpent Mound - 6 - 3 = 3 Known? Honestly speaking, I do not think this is familiar to people outside of North America. I particularly do not care much about the fame of wonder, many unknown structures do a good wonder, as is the case with Apadana, just as Hwangnyongsa would also do. But I'm not so interested in this. Why is this so necessary in the game to survive longer than the Buddhas of Bamiyan? And now this still survives while Etchmiadzin Cathedral is already falling. I know this is different, but to be fair, I prefer the Cliff Palace to represent the Native Americans. This can wait to be included.

Duomo di Milano - 20
Hwangnyongsa - 26
Mortuary Temple of Hatshepsut - 14 (17-3) Pretty sure I've made my reason pretty clear by now.
Serpent Mound - 4 (3+1) Standing by the Serpent Mound till the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom