New alternate tech

What shall our alternate tech be?

• Map Making (will the boat brigade finally have their day?)

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • The Republic (is it time for a revolution?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feudalism (Pikes and Sun Tzu's would strengthen our position vs. the Vikings)

• Polytheism (Elephants and needed for Monotheism)

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Iron Working (Legions, needed for Bridge Building)

• The Wheel (Chariots, needed for Leo's Workshop)

• Something completely different; see my post below

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Leowind

Emperor
Our primary research goal remains the same (Astronomy, requiring Masonry and Mathematics first), but we had to take our alternate tech already :(, so we need a new alternate in case our luck turns really bad and we have to take another before reaching Astronomy. This list is based on the old alternate tech poll and partly from memory, so feel free to point out something obvious I've missed :D

My feeling here would be to go after Polytheism as it will give us some better offensive units and is on the path to Monotheism, which should be our next primary goal once Astronomy is reached. I remain open to be convinced of a better plan, however :D Lets hear your thoughts...

DoM snuck in before I could finish my post, but yes I would like to plan for Map Making from the Vikings.

I voted polytheism.
I want us to get mapmaking from the vikings. Not by trading techs by the way but I hope they made a city on our continent so that we can take it and get mapmaking that way! :D

Polytheism (the Monotheism sequence generally), as we should endeavor to acquire MM from the Vikings.
get map making soon so we can get some good trade routes going
Duke, are you after the bonus or the turn-to-turn trade routes? Foreign deliveries are the best for the bonus, but have the disadvantages of 1) longer delivery times at this stage (we have to find the city) and 2) the AI gets the same (probably low) turn-to-turn boost as we do.

Although the bonus is lower, domestic routes to the Colossus city are best for turn-to-turn benefit (unless the AI has built a great city -- yeah, right:rolleyes: ).

Let's decide our objectives on this.

For me the main goal is the bonus. That gives us the immediate cash to buy what we need to leap frog ahead of the AI.

This early on the turn to turn won't do nearly as much for us. All the testing I have done in the past showed me that delivering all caravans to the SSC won't be as productive; It obviously won't demand all the products and is much closer to our cities.

The demand bonus, the different continent bonus, and the AI bonus always seems to offset the larger trade of the SSC. Plus, once the AI gets to a Republic (which we could gift to them at some point in the future ;)) it will be even larger. I always figured the bonus to the AI is also our bonus becasue we will get the money from them one way or another. :D

I think we all have plans to meet and greet the AI cities anyways, so we just need to make sure we are organized enough to also bring along some caravans at some point. It won't be an instant thing, so maybe the first few caravans can be established with the SSC, then progress into the AI deliveries. Even with the SSC deliveries, we would want to try and get the road bonus and that can take quite a bit of work to not only figure out but to actually build the roads.

Mapmaking please:
1: If the Vikings have a city on our continent then we can take MM and then immediately change to a new tech, with no loss of accumulated beakers.

2: If they havent then we need some boats!

either way lets go abroad exploring :cool:

If the boats are done first, they can pre scout the other islands while we are getting to elephants. That way we might have an idea of where some Ai cities are and knwo where to land the troops we send over.

Actually, I would almost perfer to wait past elephants and get to Crusaders. If we're going to do it, might as well do it right. :) Early game I prefer to use Archers/Legions backed up with Chariots/Elephants/Crusaders.

Rout's Point 1 is the main reason I chose map making over polytheisum. If we get it from the Vikings after choosing it, we can then switch to a 'main' tech earlier.

1st : Polytheism

but we MUST get MapMaking from the Vikings ASAP and go setteling others lands

Originally posted by StevieP
I vote for Map Making. I'll change my vote to Poly' if (and only if) we bride a passing boat or we get it from the Vikings.

Yep that'll make me happy but there is also the clause that we get a chance to steal map making from the Vikings...

Rout raises a good point about switching to another tech with no loss of beakers should we get Map Making from the Vikings. Perhaps what we need is a two-tiered alternate tech: We go for Map Making if we need an alternate and have not yet got it from the Vikings, otherwise we go for Polytheism. Keep in mind this is our alternate tech, so may not get chosen for quite some time (if we're lucky).

The "two-tiered alternate tech alternative" sounds very convincing to me. Let's do that!

A little OT: If in Civ3 you decide to switch research in the middle of, say, Alphabet, do you keep the "beakers"?

Originally posted by heliogabalus
A little OT: If in Civ3 you decide to switch research in the middle of, say, Alphabet, do you keep the "beakers"?

I think that you lose the beakers if you switch research but I'm not completely sure.

Top Bottom