Millennia | Announcement

PDX Katten

Chieftain
Hello, everyone!

We’re excited to present the first Dev Diary for Millennia.

In this, we’ll talk a little about the vision and features for the game and also about
us, C Prompt Games. You can expect additional Diaries that go into more detail on
various features and the thought behind them in the coming months, leading up to
our release next year. If you like what you see, you can wishlist the game right
now!

C Prompt Games

Before we get rolling, we should say a few words about who we are.

C Prompt Games was formed by experienced strategy developers who have worked together on some of your favorite stuff. We are probably most known for our work on the Age of Empires franchise.

We love working in smaller teams – there are around twenty people on Millennia currently. Our office is in Colorado, but we are organized to support hybrid remote / in-office development and the team is in numerous other locations, including Texas, New Mexico, and Oregon.

At our core, we are life-long hardcore strategy gamers and we have basically wanted to make a 4X since forever. We started Millennia in 2019 -- it is definitely a labor of love and we are very excited to start being able to share it with you.

What’s This?

If you haven’t seen anything else about the game, Millennia is a new turn-based 4X that features alternate history, custom tech trees, and deep economy and combat.

In The Beginning…
image3.jpg

We have carried the concept of Millennia around for a long time (please note my intentional avoidance of a pun there). That is fairly typical of our process. We tend to have a lot of rough game directions percolating and these get worked on here and there until we feel like it is the right time for one of them.

In the case of Millennia, a few things motivated us to make this our next game:

• As strategy game developers, 4X is a cornerstone of the entire genre. It’s something we love and something we want to work on. (Designing alongside Bruce Shelley while at Ensemble certainly provided some motivation in this direction.)

• As strategy game players, we saw 4X as receiving less attention than it deserved. To us, the amount of obvious player interest was far greater than the number of games being provided and amount of new gameplay being explored. Certainly, we personally wanted more 4X games and we had talked to a lot of fans who felt the same way.

• Shortly after we started to flesh out the systems that would become the pillars of Millennia, we really felt the spark. Not only did we see how things could fit together, but we also started to see something unique, something we really wanted to play ourselves. (The Age model in particular quickly developed into something that everyone saw potential in and was excited about.)

During the early stages of development, C Prompt shared a prototype of Millennia with our friends at Paradox and happily discovered agreement on those motivations.

Vision

4X is a large genre and can support a lot of different experiences. One of the experiences we felt had been overlooked was that of player authorship, of feeling like you’re the one writing the story. When we played, we often felt less like we were leading a nation and more like we were trying to remember boardgame rules.

So, from a very high level, one of our goals was to steer in the direction of more open-ended, systems-based gameplay - to deliver a feeling of being the guiding spirit of a nation.

First and foremost, that direction informs a lot of our decisions.

Pillar: Alternate History
image2.jpg

A key innovation in Millennia is the Age-based design.

There are ten Ages in a “normal” game, ranging from the Stone Age to the near-future. Each Age provides the experience of the Age – the Iron Age has Iron Age technologies, Iron Age units, Iron Age buildings, and rules specific to the conditions of the Iron Age.

If you keep things within “normal” parameters, you might progress through 10 “standard” Ages, each delivering historical gameplay.

However, Millennia allows history to go off the rails. If you make some different decisions, you might steer your timeline into alternate Ages. These Ages are still historically themed, but explore some “what-if” territory. The Age of Aether is based on a history where the internal combustion engine doesn’t come about as soon as it did and steam-power develops further. The Age of Blood is based on a war raging out of control and spreading across the world.

Ultimately, most of the things you have to use in a game come from the Ages, so you can end up with very, very different scenarios depending on the specific history and alternate history you timeline moves through.

Pillar: Custom Tech Trees
image5.jpg

Millennia features a system called “National Spirits.”

Think of National Spirits as “things a nation can be famous for.” Are your people known as great engineers? Is one of your major cities seen as the center of global banking? Does the world fear your unbeatable warriors?

Mechanically, each National Spirt is a technology tree. You get to pick National Spirits from a set at different points in a game. Doing so makes the technologies of the National Spirit available to you.

Through National Spirits, you get customize your Nation, to decide what you will be famous for, during the course of the game.

Pillar: Deep Economy and Combat
image4.png

Economy and combat are key to Millennia.

As you lead your nation, you’ll need to design the right economy for your strategy. Not all resources in Millennia are the same. Cutting down trees for Logs can provide Production, much like mining Copper. However, with the right Improvements, you can create a chain where your Logs are made into Paper which is then made into Books, getting you Knowledge (or Religion or Government or Wealth) instead of Production.

Some resources are (like the Logs) broad and capable of steering into a variety of different Goods while others are more focused and less flexible. How you decide to structure your economy has an impact on your capabilities and your ability to respond to changing conditions.

One of the places this is felt is with combat. The best military for you to field changes based on your economic design (and the Age you have moved into and the National Spirits you have selected). You might be better with more Production to train troops, or more Warfare Domain to support them, or more Wealth to pay the upkeep on expensive elite troops or…

Beyond the economy, combat offers its own interesting decisions. Different types of Units have different capabilities. You design your Armies by assigning multiple Units to fight together, allowing you to create different Army types for different needs.

Next
image6.jpg

This is the tip of the iceberg -- Millennia is a huge game. The outline above is an introduction but there is plenty to cover regarding the pillars, plus a substantial number of major systems that haven’t even been mentioned.

Over the next few weeks, we will present additional Dev Diaries to showcase more of the game and to dive deeper into specific features. Next up, in two weeks, we’ll talk about the building blocks of your nation, Regions, Towns, and Outposts, and also cover a bit of the World Map itself.

We hope you’ll check back and join us for more on the game.

And, of course, if this sounds good, please wishlist the game on Steam and join the community.

Embrace the Chaos!

I'll keep an eye on this for sure but the fact that you are using the Spartans as your "ancient, awesome warriors" doesn't really inspire a lot of confidence about the history-related aspects of the game. Hopefully that won't be a major concern in the end though.

Last edited:
I mean Civ style games are almost always more focused on pop-history.
Sure, but there is a difference between pop-history and bad history and I'd like less bad history in my games.

In any case if the games pays off the "Humankind but good and with wziards sometimes" premise I think it will be a hit, even if the traditional PDox fan base is losing their minds over it being turn based. TBS supremacy!
Yeah, it does look interesting though I hope that the ability to control what age you enter isn't as in the player's control as has been implied by what's been released so far.

“Some of these are kind of framed as downsides but if you’re strategically minded you can see what those crises are and adapt to fit that. The Age of Plague is a downside for everyone, but if you’re well-suited to deal with those things, you can intentionally push everyone else down that road knowing you will come out ahead. There are also specific technologies that are unique to these ages. You can have a strategy that is built around technologies from the Age of Blood.”
This quote doesn't inspire a lot of confidence about there being strong enough downsides to "bad" ages. For me, a major problem with 4X/GSG is that it way, way too easy for the player to profit off of basically everything and this just seems to be more of that but, hopefully, there is more than described. Still though, I think being able to push the world into a dark age because you would benefit from it is bad game design.

Posting on a direct competitor's forums to advertise your game? That's certainly a bold strategy, I'll give you that.

It looks fun though. I'll wait to see how it turns out, but you've earned my attention.

I will never get this strange obsession by Civ-like games to use real peoples and then just butcher them until there is only a weird slob without real character to it.

Just create your own factions that are inspired by real peoples, that have some actual personality to them instead of creating these weird world states where you start as Germany lead by a medieval emperor in some random desert on a random generic map, where you then build the Chinese Wall and Stonehenge and suddenly you have Munich next to Hyderabad on some random arctic ice shelf. Why not create your own lore with some actual consistency?

I will never get this strange obsession by Civ-like games to use real peoples and then just butcher them until there is only a weird slob without real character to it.

Just create your own factions that are inspired by real peoples, that have some actual personality to them instead of creating these weird world states where you start as Germany lead by a medieval emperor in some random desert on a random generic map, where you then build the Chinese Wall and Stonehenge and suddenly you have Munich next to Hyderabad on some random arctic ice shelf. Why not create your own lore with some actual consistency?

Have you put any effort into considering the implications of what you are saying? The simple answer is, following your intention to its ultimate conclusion, you end up with no game, since there can be no variability.

Have you put any effort into considering the implications of what you are saying? The simple answer is, following your intention to its ultimate conclusion, you end up with no game, since there can be no variability.

Nonsense, of course you can have more than enough variability. Creating your own lore and cultures (inspired by real peoples) takes nothing away from variability, it only makes the variability less weird and prevents these slob world states, because then the world has its own authenticity.

Nonsense, of course you can have more than enough variability. Creating your own lore and cultures (inspired by real peoples) takes nothing away from variability, it only makes the variability less weird and prevents these slob world states, because then the world has its own authenticity.

- Fantasy settings already exist;
- People want historical 4x games. You present it as if the production of Civ-like games after Civ 1 were detached from its popularity.

I just find your post bizarre. You create an account to complain about a gaming convention which is foundational to the entire franchise on a forum called "civfanatics", you say you don't understand it, then proceed to offer solutions to problems that do not exist.

People want to play as Elizabeth leading England, not as Mupachanda of the Engleberkermomas. Or, at the very least, they want both.

People want to play as Elizabeth leading England, not as Mupachanda of the Engleberkermomas.
One of the most requested mechanics for all of Civ has been a "Make a Civ" function. There's clearly a market for it.

True, I edited my post.

My point is, the interest in customization does not replace the interest in the historical elements.

And it doesn't follow from people wanting a simplified "make a civ" function that the civs would be ahistorical. Looking at the workshop, most modded civs seem to be either historical or based on other franchises (animes, witcher, etc).

The return of stacking. and battle scene that's supposed to be. but it is still Call to Power to me.
With Paradox i might feel safe when it comes to gunpowder era, that gunpowder evolutions will follow historical order (Big guns first, Musketry later).

People want to play as Elizabeth leading England, not as Mupachanda of the Engleberkermomas. Or, at the very least, they want both.
Not all people. As much as I enjoy Civilization, I would like to see a game where you really create your own history instead of cosplaying as historical states.

And no, fantasy games are completely different because they include wild stuff like sapient non-human races and awfully tropey DnD elements

- Fantasy settings already exist;
- People want historical 4x games. You present it as if the production of Civ-like games after Civ 1 were detached from its popularity.

I just find your post bizarre. You create an account to complain about a gaming convention which is foundational to the entire franchise on a forum called "civfanatics", you say you don't understand it, then proceed to offer solutions to problems that do not exist.

Except that there is nothing historical about Civ factions, or how does a Germany almost completely devoid of any consistent personality starting in a random desert and building the Chinese Wall appeal in any meaningful way to the historical appeal of playing Germany? I would bet, that there are quite a few people like me, who like the mechanics and core principles of Civ games, but are annoyed by this pseudo-historical mix and match.

It's also not a foundational convention of the franchise. Civilization: Beyond Earth has proven, that you can make a fun Civ game with your own lore. And even if it were a foundational convention of the Civ games, that doesn't mean that all the devs making Civ-like games, like the one this thread is actually about, should just copy this design decision instead of trying to be a bit unique.

Just a few random comments, because I just started looking at this offering a few days ago . . .

1. They say you have 10 'regular' Ages in the game, but from the video I counted at least 20 available, ranging from (presumably) the purely historical Stone, Bronze, Iron, Renaissance, Discovery, Kings to the Less Than Historical Aether, Old Ones, Ecology, Utopia, Plague, Rogue AI.

Having some apparently obviously Negative and Positive Ages and at least twice the number of Ages available as can be played in a 'standard' game is a Good Sign indicating a lot of room for variation in the way a Civ/Faction/People develop. That depends, of course, on just how much control the player has on the development through the ages. I've madeno secret that my preference would be Less Control but mechanics to React to what the game throws at you, but we'll probably have to wait and see exactly how hey handle it.

2. The illustrations of cities on the map seem very similar to Civ and other 4x offerings: varieties of terrain, different resources and climates and biomes. The devil, of course, is in the details of how you manage cities and what other options you have (nomad camps, smaller settlements, mining colonies, etc) to develop and control the map. It will be a very bad sign and dull if the game locks us into the same City Only map control that Civ has always used.

3. The one illustration of a 'battle' only tells us that they appear to be going to a EU-type Battle Screen and off-map battle resolution, and mentions use of 'stacking' or collections of units in the battle. Again, the details matter hugely: how much control does the gamer have over tactics? Are there Generals, or any kind of Battlefield Leadership? Does the amount of Training of the units matter at least as much as the types of weapons and equipment?

The illustration of a 'Spartan' warrior does not impress. He has the Spartan 'lambda' (λ) insignia on his shield, but it was specifically described as "the red lambdas gleaming", not a thin monochrome line, and the shield looks to be only about 2 feet in diameter, not a full-sized 3-foot diameter Aspis. His cloak is a very light pinkish red, when it was intended to hide bloodstains, so should be much darker. Most importantly, the Spartans were famous for NOT wearing metal body armor or metal helmets, preferring the lighter Phrygian-style felt cap (heavily padded for defense against blows to the skull) and rely on their skill with the shield to protect themselves. If the devil is in the details, this is Bealzebubblish and does not bode well.

With Paradox i might feel safe when it comes to gunpowder era, that gunpowder evolutions will follow historical order (Big guns first, Musketry later).
Is that important in a game with fantasy elements such as Millenia will be?

Except that there is nothing historical about Civ factions, or how does a Germany almost completely devoid of any consistent personality starting in a random desert and building the Chinese Wall appeal in any meaningful way to the historical appeal of playing Germany?
Great, there's nothing historical about Civ factions. Yet, the appeal to people is there. That you don't understand it is irrelevant.

I would bet, that there are quite a few people like me, who like the mechanics and core principles of Civ games, but are annoyed by this pseudo-historical mix and match.
Emphasis on "few".

It's also not a foundational convention of the franchise. Civilization: Beyond Earth has proven, that you can make a fun Civ game with your own lore.
What is the point of making blatantly false statements? This is on par with the "you can't grow concrete / yeah you can" clip on youtube.

1. Civ 1 was the first game in the franchise. It is foundational;
2. It's a literal necessity for a game set in the future to be ahistorical.

Last edited:
Not all people. As much as I enjoy Civilization, I would like to see a game where you really create your own history instead of cosplaying as historical states.

And no, fantasy games are completely different because they include wild stuff like sapient non-human races and awfully tropey DnD elements
He's not arguing for blank Civs, but a fantasy game with its own lore. It can't be pseudo-historical.

Is that important in a game with fantasy elements such as Millenia will be?

Great, there's nothing historical about Civ factions. Yet, the appeal to people is there. That you don't understand it is irrelevant.

Emphasis on "few".

What is the point of making blatantly false statements? This is on par with the "you can't grow concrete / yeah you can" clip on youtube.

1. Civ 1 was the first game in the franchise. It is foundational;
2. It's a literal necessity for a game set in the future to be ahistorical.
You seem to be taking the idea that people want to make their own blank civ however the game allows them very personally. Like dude, calm down.

Top Bottom