New and Changed Civilizations in 1.18

No Turks split? Well ok. Kushans is a surprise ngl.

Can we rename Silat to Pendekar? A person who mastered silat is most commonly referred as a Pendekar(warrior).
Other possible name could be Jagoan (champion), Prajurit (simply means "soldier"), or Bayangkara (Majapahit elite guards).

Not really sure about gudang as Malay UU tho. Maybe Bandar (means port) or Water Village could better represent their maritime society.

Last edited:
I just want to shill for switching China and Egypt's shade of yellow, I find Egypt's yellow more aesthetically pleasing and China is usually around a lot longer. Back when you could edit colors willy nilly in XML I would always make this change myself, but that's been out the window for a few years now.

What prevents you from doing this yourself?

Really cool, nicely done!
@Leoreth is there any chance you could post some screenshots showing the new civs on the map?
Also, it might be nice to include Merkurios as a medieval leader for the Nubian civ, even if the UHVs are done by then, it would be cool to have Makuria as a dynamic name for the Nubian AI in the medieval era.

I really like the new color scheme for Portugal
I guess for now it will have to stay in reserve for a potential Boer civ.
That and Australia are the only areas of the map that are still missing really important civs. (I'd also like to see a Manchu/Qing civ, even though that area is already occupied, because I think 18th and 19th century China would be a very interesting game if it had its own UHVs separate from the previous ones)

Overall, I'm really looking forward to playing this when you're ready for balance testing.

Last edited:
Speaking of Makuria, what if the last Nubian UHV would be related to Makuria instead?

Regarding the Korean colour, I have been experiencing with a shade somewhere between a darker blue and purple. Here are some variations, one more in the purple direction and the other more in the direction of a drab blue. I tried both of them with red as the secondary colour too and it worked surprisingly well. Thoughts?

Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0490.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0491.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0492.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0494.JPG

Personally, I prefer the purple one. Maybe you can consider a lighter red for the secondary? Or maybe a lighter pink. Bright red looks too garish on those blues. At least on the drab blue one. The red on the purple one can be softened a bit, I guess.

What prevents you from doing this yourself?
I am very stupid.

I like the more purple color for Korea, but both versions with the red blur together to my eyes. A lighter red or pink would help, but given the choice between bright red and white, I'd go with the white.

I am very stupid.
Moreso than with previous versions? You mentioned doing this before, and to my knowledge nothing about the process of manually changing colours has changed.

Moreso than with previous versions? You mentioned doing this before, and to my knowledge nothing about the process of manually changing colours has changed.
For some reason, just switching PLAYERCOLOR_LIGHT_YELLOW to PLAYERCOLOR_YELLOW and vice versa doesn't work anymore. I figured there's something else I need to change somewhere, but I've never found it. I'm not a code person by nature, but I know at one time I was able to do it, just not anymore.

For some reason, just switching PLAYERCOLOR_LIGHT_YELLOW to PLAYERCOLOR_YELLOW and vice versa doesn't work anymore. I figured there's something else I need to change somewhere, but I've never found it. I'm not a code person by nature, but I know at one time I was able to do it, just not anymore.
It doesn't work for existing savegames. You can check by actually starting new games. Also, if you have VD enabled, you should update VD_CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml in its directory instead.

If you want it to work for savegames, edit the primary and secondary colors defined under the PLAYERCOLOR tag. You can find it in CIV4PlayerColorInfos.xml. If you prefer, you can create a new module for it.
  1. Create a new directory inside Assets/Modules and name it whatever you want. If Modules directory does not exist yet inside assets, then create that directory too first.
  2. Go to the Beyond the Sword installation directory. Look for Assets\XML\Interface\CIV4InterfaceSchema.xml and copy it into the newly created module directory. You will not find this file in the DoC assets which is why you will copy this from the BTS installation. DO NOT rename this file.
  3. Copy Assets\XML\Interface\CIV4PlayerColorInfos.xml from the DoC assets directory to the new module directory. Give the new copied file a short prefix (e.g. More_CIV4PlayerColorInfos.xml)
  4. Open the renamed file and remove all other PLAYERCOLOR tags aside from the ones you want to change. To identify which PLAYERCOLOR tags you need to change, refer to the respective tag for the concerning civilization in CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml.
  5. For each PLAYERCOLOR tag you want to change the colors, update the COLOR_PLAYER values defined for the primary and the secondary color. You can check XML\Interface\CIV4ColorVals.xml for the list of available COLOR_PLAYER_* defines. If you want to create a new color, you can define it yourself either there, or create a new CIV4ColorVals.xml file in the module directory (follow steps 3 and 4 for that).
Spoiler EXAMPLE :
Replacing the Byzantine colors with the ones SoI uses. The primary color "Tyrian purple" definition does not exist in DoC, so I had to add it myself.

1698524154871.png

1698524369453.png

RGBA values copied from the corresponding files from SoI.

Last edited:
I will upload ingame screenshots later, in the meantime here are a few screenshots of the starting screen to show some of the new leaders.

Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0479.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0480.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0481.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0482.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0483.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0484.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0485.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0486.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0487.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0488.JPG

Do you have an idea of the new civs' stability maps? In particular, I'm curious on how you're planning to handle the Celts.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, that part is still under revision. Once things have settled a bit I can generate the stability map PNGs I shared a few months ago for them.

• Russia
    • Birth: 1263 AD
    • Unique Building: Katorga (Jail): +4 production, -50% anger duration from sacrificing population
    • Unique Power: Hardship: unhappiness from hurrying and drafting is applied to your happiest city
I have problems with this naming. 'Каторга' is not a building in any sense, it sounds ridiculous to use this word for replacement of jail. Besides, 'Каторга' is supposed to be held in some distant severe place, and being regular building means you can build it anywhere, like in your capital, which scales absurd level. So, I suggest rename it to 'Katorga camp' or something. And possibly it is a good idea to make its effect scaling with distance from your capital, and even allow it become negative if it is built too close, so you would want to build them in Syberia and not in European Russia. Or add some terrain requirement. And, if I recall correctly, jails reduce stability penalty from non-core cities. Katorga doesn't have this effect. Doesn't that severely reduce expansion possibility for Russia, especially with smaller core?

I only list differences to the base building.

The Kush civilization has been added to the Old World. Now it has the same set of civilizations as in DOC that existed during the Bronze Age.
This all makes us think that the Bronze Age, Antiquity and, possibly, the Middle Ages are passing very quickly.
You make a new big card the standard. Do you have any thoughts about making longer game modes standard as well?

I have already added more turns to the early part of the game.

Top Bottom