new art in progress

Yes i switched the effect and sound.
But the guys are pretty static, and that "crossbow on the stick" looks a bit odd to me. I think the guy with the crossbow seating in front with the crossbow in hands would make more sense.
But for now there are many things of higher priority than that.

I will put punks in the jeep and make a foot survivor with crossbow next.

you can take the football gear from the punks, as some armor for the crossbow survivor if you like.

David, have you looked into modifying the sounds at all? I still think the bike and the jeep with tank sounds doesn't sound quite right.

I never play with sound on, and I have not tested or tried anything related to sound. The WillysJeep comes with a sound, that I have not integrated into the game. There is also a thread I found for the flamethrower, which gives a sound.

However, for the motorcycle, it seems that a new sound would be required. Does anybody have a good sound file that I could add in?

You don't play with the sound on?!

For the motorcycle it will have to be an old, tinny sound. I'll have a look around for something suitable. They probably have to loop as well.

You don't play with the sound on?!

The rest of my family doesn't appreciate the noise, and I need to keep an ear out for sounds in the house so I can't use headphones.

Sometimes when I play games that rely on dialog, or rely on directional sound for clues, I use headphones, but rarely. For Civ, the sound is "nice", but it isn't required for anything.

You can have music from somewhere else - games soundtracks - even good ones - tend to beocme repetetice and even annoying fast - i.e. with a game you play a lot - like Civ. I play without sound too.

Btw. Do you need punks as well on that jeep ? And if yes what species of them do you prefer ?

That's what I meant, real music. :p I usually play with the sounds on and use that track thing built into to civ to choose some good songs.

What species? :lol: SeZereth's would look good on there, mine are already on the bike.

EDIT: Here they are.

Is there any update on the fuel truck animation? I think refar had requested asio to send the original source files. Also refar had suggested to make the trailer shorter so we can make the unit scale bigger.

Is there any update on the horse-mounted survivor? I have my kicking horse working when you explore the resource, but then I am using a theme-inappropriate byzantine cataphract for the actual unit. (It has the best lance animation.)

New idea: I am working on getting power generators. One of the wonders I mentioned is "City Lights" based on the speech from Beyond Thunderdome. I have made a button showing lights in skyscrapers at night. But, I am a little stuck on what the related building should look like. In the game, it is always daytime. All I can come up with is a streetlight. Just having a streetlight sitting there at least indicates something. Any better ideas?

New idea: Following jabie's suggestion, I am going to add items you discover in the ruins, which if you transport to a city give you a happiness or culture bonus. So, once you get the unit to a city, you automatically get a free building. It is like a shrine, sort of, that people would visit to see a pre-apocalypse item and become "inspired". But, what existing building(s) are appropriate? I was thinking the oracle building; that's the only one I can find which seems to relate to that. It would not be a huge building like a temple complex, just one building. So a lot of the wonder buildings on the forum download don't seem to work. I'd like at least two, one for happiness and one for culture. Also possibly one for food, representing a discovery of pre-apocalypse foods (twinkies? :) but I am not sure how that would work yet.

New idea: In Fallout Tactics, there is a boss monster in one level which is a huge cockroach. It looks about twenty feet long in the game, and it soaks up a lot of automatic rifle fire before dying. I would like to have this guy rampaging across the countryside, pillaging and destroying units, as a random event. I have found in FFH that there is a turtle unit which comes close, I guess it was converted from the Zoo Tycoon game. The skin is pretty good, for a turtle, but it might be modifiable into a cockroach.

Is there any update on the fuel truck animation? I think refar had requested asio to send the original source files. Also refar had suggested to make the trailer shorter so we can make the unit scale bigger.

Is there any update on the horse-mounted survivor? I have my kicking horse working when you explore the resource, but then I am using a theme-inappropriate byzantine cataphract for the actual unit. (It has the best lance animation.)

New idea: I am working on getting power generators. One of the wonders I mentioned is "City Lights" based on the speech from Beyond Thunderdome. I have made a button showing lights in skyscrapers at night. But, I am a little stuck on what the related building should look like. In the game, it is always daytime. All I can come up with is a streetlight. Just having a streetlight sitting there at least indicates something. Any better ideas?

New idea: Following jabie's suggestion, I am going to add items you discover in the ruins, which if you transport to a city give you a happiness or culture bonus. So, once you get the unit to a city, you automatically get a free building. It is like a shrine, sort of, that people would visit to see a pre-apocalypse item and become "inspired". But, what existing building(s) are appropriate? I was thinking the oracle building; that's the only one I can find which seems to relate to that. It would not be a huge building like a temple complex, just one building. So a lot of the wonder buildings on the forum download don't seem to work. I'd like at least two, one for happiness and one for culture. Also possibly one for food, representing a discovery of pre-apocalypse foods (twinkies? :) but I am not sure how that would work yet.

New idea: In Fallout Tactics, there is a boss monster in one level which is a huge cockroach. It looks about twenty feet long in the game, and it soaks up a lot of automatic rifle fire before dying. I would like to have this guy rampaging across the countryside, pillaging and destroying units, as a random event. I have found in FFH that there is a turtle unit which comes close, I guess it was converted from the Zoo Tycoon game. The skin is pretty good, for a turtle, but it might be modifiable into a cockroach.

for the things to recover, what about using actual items, either non visible or just sprites, to resemble goods or technology from pre apocalypse, might fit better than actually moving around buildings?

and the cockroach might be easier to model from scratch than to reskin a turtle :D
but i wont do it, have some other things with higher priority on my list.

for the things to recover, what about using actual items, either non visible or just sprites, to resemble goods or technology from pre apocalypse, might fit better than actually moving around buildings?

What I was thinking is there would be an event popup announcing that explorers had found some object in a ruins square you control. Then there would appear a "cargo truck" unit in that plot. There are many effects the item could have, so far I have in mind boosting happiness in a city and boosting culture in a city. Each effect would be represented by one subclass of cargo truck.

The cargo truck would be similar to the refugee unit already in the mod. The refugee is capturable. In a city, it has a special action button called "resettle". It has the unitai of "city defence", which means the AI will automatically move towards the nearest city, and I have added some code that if an AI refugee unit is in a friendly city, it automatically resettles. When the refugee resettles it increases the city population by one.

So, you would pick which city you wanted the bonus applied to, and drive the truck there. Barbs and other players may try to capture it. I often find due to razing, there are gaps between my cities, so barbarians would be a significant risk if I wanted the effect in a newly captured city on the frontier. Once you get the truck there, you would activate it and get the bonus for that city. In order to mark the fact that the item is there, you would need some building.

In other words, there is no moving building. There is a moving truck, which converts into a building.

Does that sound reasonable?

What I was thinking is there would be an event popup announcing that explorers had found some object in a ruins square you control. Then there would appear a "cargo truck" unit in that plot. There are many effects the item could have, so far I have in mind boosting happiness in a city and boosting culture in a city. Each effect would be represented by one subclass of cargo truck.

The cargo truck would be similar to the refugee unit already in the mod. The refugee is capturable. In a city, it has a special action button called "resettle". It has the unitai of "city defence", which means the AI will automatically move towards the nearest city, and I have added some code that if an AI refugee unit is in a friendly city, it automatically resettles. When the refugee resettles it increases the city population by one.

So, you would pick which city you wanted the bonus applied to, and drive the truck there. Barbs and other players may try to capture it. I often find due to razing, there are gaps between my cities, so barbarians would be a significant risk if I wanted the effect in a newly captured city on the frontier. Once you get the truck there, you would activate it and get the bonus for that city. In order to mark the fact that the item is there, you would need some building.

In other words, there is no moving building. There is a moving truck, which converts into a building.

Does that sound reasonable?

yea, i thought you meant, they actually find a "shrine" and bring it back, but thinking about it twice, i just misunderstood it and i can imagine them building a shrine for some pre apo items and symbols and trophies and whatever ;)

great models here :)

have looked at the jeep (wanted to play a little), could be that the transparency problem is fixed. It seems that the position (not the number) in the nif is important to display transparency correct, children nodes in the list below the transparent object won´t be displayed.
(even if i used refars files as base i changed the jeep to Chuggis fixed version)

@ davidlallen

considering the air power, do you believe something like this http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/Hg-trike.jpg could work as early fighter model (i thought at something similar with two guns) and a rusty Agricultural aircraft (like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockwell_Thrush_Commander with guns) as later version as for your mod?

Attachments

• Willys2.zip
    201.2 KB · Views: 91
I finished the Crossbow Survivors.
Made some custom animation sequences (run/idle/fortify), because it was bugging me how the guys hold the crossbows when not fortified.

Couldnt use seZereth footbal armor :( - the mesh subdivision was to different from the body model, so it just kept clipping on one end or the other.

the are here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=281308

==========

On the new art requests... I am not to excited about makig the cockroach either. Actually modeling it shouldnt be a problem... but animation... lots of feets and whiskers there...

I will be looking into putting punks on the crossbow jeep next (Thanks Chuggi & Coyote for helping out with the transparency.) Then there is the fuel truck...

@ The_Coyote - Wow, thanks! :D

@ Refar/david - Attached to this post is a texture with proper transparent glass to go with The_Coyote's transparency fixed jeep.

Attachments

• Jeep_WW.zip
    7.4 KB · Views: 89
considering the air power, do you believe something like this http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/Hg-trike.jpg could work as early fighter model (i thought at something similar with two guns) and a rusty Agricultural aircraft (like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockwell_Thrush_Commander with guns) as later version as for your mod?

Of course there was the glider aircraft in Mad Max Road Warrior, so your suggestion would fit the theme well. I was thinking about a scout/explorer unit, maybe with a low strength bombing attack. But I didn't think anybody would be too interested in making a new model for that so I did not suggest it.

I'm sure I could easily add it to the mod if you are interested.

If you haven't, please look at this post for other unit requests. The grounded gunship seems like an easy one. If I could wish for anything, I'd pick a punk style leaderhead. I think there is good potential in the 3D leaderheads, even though others here don't agree.

OK, I've got the survivor crossbowman and the jeep crossbow integrated into the game. Maybe I have setup my XML wrong, but when the jeep crossbow attacks, there is a muzzle flash. Is that controlled by the xml or the kfm? Did I miss a kfm update?

Also, I forgot to bug you about the survivor settler, which just needs kids and maybe a dog.

I updated the unit request post near the start of this thread.

Top Bottom