New City State Info

I think the unique bonuses are fantastic! Some city states are highly desirable allies, while others are not - but this will change from game to game. Didn't found a religion? No reason to really bother with Jerusalem... but a religion-focused player might go to war over influence there.

I also like the fact that you can't see city state quests unless you have an envoy present. This is a great change from Civ V, where without paying attention to city states at all I would always find myself with a handful of allies - just because some of them spit out tech or culture quests, or targeted a barbarian camp near my capital. Now it seems like you will have to invest into a specific city state to get these kinds of rewards. Great change!

And then get the wrath of Alexander and everyone else because "it's their City State and not yours"

Do we know how envoys are gained? Are they units that you build? Do the exist on the map or do they work like diplomats and spies? Are there any limited amount of them like trader riutes? Or are the just created fir a gold per turn cost?

Skickat från min GT-I9195 via Tapatalk

We know they could be gained from completing city-state quests, but not much info other than that.

EDIT: Looks like the unit on the first screenshot could send envoys. Probably some Great Person?

This is similar to the diplomats used in one of the mods I play with for Civ 5. You can create Diplomats at your cities and send them to gain influence with City States.

I like it!

Do we know how envoys are gained? Are they units that you build? Do the exist on the map or do they work like diplomats and spies? Are there any limited amount of them like trader riutes? Or are the just created fir a gold per turn cost?

Skickat från min GT-I9195 via Tapatalk

I would imagine that they're not just something you "build" with production in your cities, otherwise, they'd be easy to spam. They're probably obtained in other ways and are limited, but that limit can be increased further into the game through different perks.

I'm loving the work that has been put on the CS, specially the Unique abilities, anything to make them more interesting.

Maybe there's still a chance for militaristic CS to have their own UU's.

It's cool that they've decided to give each City-State a unique bonus. That gives them a bit more character.

Best part is, I don't see a Gift Gold button!

I would imagine that they're not just something you "build" with production in your cities, otherwise, they'd be easy to spam. They're probably obtained in other ways and are limited, but that limit can be increased further into the game through different perks.

The impression I get is that the player might be allowed to "build" their first envoy or a small number limited by your empire (similar to civ5 trade routes) but additional envoys are earned via quests. This would prevent envoy spam. It would also mean that you need to use your envoys carefully since you can't just build as many as you need. The first envoy would need to be used strategically where it will help you the most to get more envoys.

I also noticed that there's some new resource displays on the top panel, it doesn't seem to indicate JUST teh typical strategic resources, I think I see 'wheat' displayed as one of the resources.

It's cool that they've decided to give each City-State a unique bonus. That gives them a bit more character.

Best part is, I don't see a Gift Gold button!

Well that would be stupid to have with a Gold giving CS

[and it looks like the new Unique CS bonuses mean no random CS from Civ Cities, so CS excluding Civ analysis works]

Well that would be stupid to have with a Gold giving CS

[and it looks like the new Unique CS bonuses mean no random CS from Civ Cities, so CS excluding Civ analysis works]

That was never a thing though, Very rarely was a random CS from a Civ Cities unless you mean until the Civ was created (Seoul replaced by Kathmandu, Oslo by Quebec, etc)

Guessing they're functionally similar to Trade Routes.

Yeah, as long as there is some limitation, they can probably just be trained from cities with production. Somewhat like Civ4's missionaries.

Also note that that the number next to the bonus appears to be the number of envoys you need to get that bonus. The levels are 1,3 and 6 envoys to get the next bonus level. Also bonuses appear to be cumulative. So if you send 3 envoys, you get bonus "1" and bonus "3". Getting all 3 levels of bonuses is quite powerful. A city state based UA would be quite powerful in this game.

One more element that is straight out of the Civ5 Community Balance Patch. FXS should have hired Gazebo (and Ilteroi, for AI improvements).

I also noticed that there's some new resource displays on the top panel, it doesn't seem to indicate JUST teh typical strategic resources, I think I see 'wheat' displayed as one of the resources.

You are right. In image 1 the resources are from left to right: rice, wheat, something and horse. The something could be cattle,but it is not so clear though. So (some) bonus resources are also quantified.

Who says they haven't :lol:

NDA is a wonderful thing.

Because they are still working like crazy ants on CBP, making it a strong entry barrier for Civ6... :D (here is to waiting for all imbalances and bugs to be solved for civ6 while playing CBP).

I'm glad they're changing it. Civ5 had an okay system with the expansions, but it was still shallow. I hope that now they expand further to make them more useful rather than just cities that you can buy.

You are right. In image 1 the resources are from left to right: rice, wheat, something and horse. The something could be cattle,but it is not so clear though. So (some) bonus resources are also quantified.

I wouldn't say quantified. Having 1 tile of Wheat counts for 1, etc. Could be that they just list. But it could also mean that they're tradable for one. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom