[GS] New City States

gozon

Chieftain
We know there are 2 new Science city states. Bologna replaces Stockholm, Fez is entirely new. Rapa Nui is also entirely new. I think they might be part of a new CS set.

Scientific - Fez
Cultural - Rapa Nui
Militaristic - ???
Industrial - Cardiff
Religious - Nazca(?)
Commercial - Cahokia

If the leaks are real (they are!), Toronto (Industrial) and Carthage (Militaristic) need replacement too. What might these be?

Edits
12/6: Ngazargamu replaces Carthage
12/13: New CS reveals - Mexico City (replaces Toronto, probably), Cardiff (industrial), Nazca (unsure, probably religious?)
12/20: Nazca confirmed. Type unknown. An Alcazar is spotted in Granada, which could mean city states can build their own unique improvements now.
1/8: Mississippian mound is confirmed to be not a wonder, making Cahokia likely a city state.
1/10: Cahokia (commercial) confirmed in livestream, with Cahokian Mounds improvement.

Last edited:
Toronto will need a replacement, will have to keep eyes open for it.

Edit: Which means there are probably two new industrial CS if there is a whole new set of them.

As I mentioned on another thread, it's possible that this isn't a new set, but simply those are the 2 that will replace Toronto and Carthage. And then if they don't change the balance, they would simply change the category of others (for example, Hattusa could change to be a militaristic CS, and then maybe one of the current cultural ones would turn industrious).

Hopefully it's part of a new set - we'll have to see if we see any other new CS in the next livestreams.

Toronto will be replaced by another city-state of North America, it may be Monterrey, which is a large Mexican industrial center. The possibility of an Indigenous city-state is also great, something like Cahokia, but I just do not know if this makes sense to be an industrial city-state.

My opinion is that they will add an additional new city-state to all continents, Fez is the additional city-state of Africa, just as Rapa Nui is from Oceania. In South America, they may add include a pre-Columbian Andean city-state, such as Chan Chan or Tiwanaku, although the second may be in the list of Inca cities.

Now that Italian City States are on the table, we could fill up all those slots just with them.
:nono:
It's just a placeholder for now.
I'm also afraid of possibly seeing Bogota, Assur/Ninevah and Axum.

Were city states evenly assigned over continents in vanilla / likings DLC? If so, geographically, Carthage would count as an African militaristic CS. If it has to be replaced with something similar, Cirta (the Numidian one, not the Libyan one) or Tlemcen, both from Northern Africa as well, would makes sense.

Were city states evenly assigned over continents in vanilla / likings DLC? If so, geographically, Carthage would count as an African militaristic CS. If it has to be replaced with something similar, Cirta (the Numidian one, not the Libyan one) or Tlemcen, both from Northern Africa as well, would makes sense.

So far, the regional relationship between a replaced city-state and the replacement has not been consistent.

Bandar Brunei replaced Jakarta
Babylon replaced Seoul
Antioch replaced Amsterdam
Bologna is replacing Stockholm (same suze bonus)

So far, the regional relationship between a replaced city-state and the replacement has not been consistent.

Bandar Brunei replaced Jakarta
Babylon replaced Seoul
Antioch replaced Amsterdam
Bologna is replacing Stockholm (same suze bonus)
With Antioch not being European we can scratch the theory that they tied to continents. But hey, it's Fraxis, Antiochia might as well be European for them... at least it's not far away.

With Antioch not being European we can scratch the theory that they tied to continents. But hey, it's Fraxis, Antiochia might as well be European for them... at least it's not far away.

I confess that I personally have a hard time considering Europe and Asia separate geographically.

I tend to think of Eurasia as a continent, with the boundary between Europe and Asia more like a county line.

I think Kanem-Bornu or another African CS will replace Carthage. And I think Dubai or another Middle Eastern CS will replace Toronto. They seem to be trying to keep civs of the same type spread fairly evenly across the globe, and these are obvious gaps.

I think Kanem-Bornu or another African CS will replace Carthage. And I think Dubai or another Middle Eastern CS will replace Toronto. They seem to be trying to keep civs of the same type spread fairly evenly across the globe, and these are obvious gaps.
Kanem-Bornu seems an unlikely candidate for a militaristic city state, however. Commercial, sure. But then again, Fez is scientific instead of cultural or religious.

It has one of the oldest still-operating universities on earth.
Well, yes, as part of a grand famous mosque. And I don't think it teaches anything besides theology anymore nowadays. Moroccans see Fez as "their" religious city, secret capital, and cultural center. It has numerous mosques, madrasas (medersas in case of Morocco) and tombs of saints. Is still think scientific is an odd choice for it. At least the suzerain ability is a nod to the religious side. I also never understood why Brussels would be industrial and gives a bonus to wonder building instead of cultural. I mean, it is a city of architectural marvel for sure, but I don't think you would call anything there a wonder (although the Grand Place is certainly wonderful).

Kanem-Bornu seems an unlikely candidate for a militaristic city state, however. Commercial, sure. But then again, Fez is scientific instead of cultural or religious.

I was trying to pick an African civ that wouldn't seem...racist?...as a militaristic CS? Kanem-Bornu was somewhat militaristic and expansionist, but clearly had other infrastructure and accomplishments. I guess Songhai is also an obvious choice, even if it shared the same major cities as Mali.

Top Bottom