[R&F] New civ on the horizon! Abilities?

Here's my two cents:

As far as I'm concerned it's either a south american civ or a polynesian and here's why:

SA
  • South America is still unrepresented except for Brazil
  • The guy could be Lautaro
  • Blue on Blue is their color and the Mapuche flag is blue
O
  • If representation is an argument, then Polynesia has to be considered. Sure in SA there's only Brazil, but in polynesia there's nobody!
  • The guy looks polynesian to me, first thing I thought when I saw him
  • Blue on blue could be any polynesian civ color for obvious reaons

I realized that we were all so sure we were getting the Inca, hat we kept our focus on SA. But quite frankly I am starting to think that the guy was polynesian all along. He looks more polynesian than anything else, his garments would fit the bill, his colors are perfect...I'm calling it: RAPA NUI! Moai plz

If it is Lautaro, it seems they had inspirations of different sources.

Lautaro.png

• Green arrow: The headband seems very close to the depiction. The feathers would probably not appear in the leader icon as they are on the back of his head.
  • Black arrow: Somewhat curlier hair, but the headband in this picture is not so similar.
  • Red arrow: In this picture Lautaro seems to wear a metallic breastplate. Maybe this is a part what we see as collar? or...
  • Yellow arrow: it is this "orange" cape that is very shiny?

Nevertheless I find the depicted nose quite broad, in comparison to the pictures of Lautaro. Either it's part of artistic freedom, a misrepresentation again (Seondeok, Tamar,...) or maybe it's someone else.

I realized that we were all so sure we were getting the Inca, hat we kept our focus on SA. But quite frankly I am starting to think that the guy was polynesian all along. He looks more polynesian than anything else, his garments would fit the bill, his colors are perfect...I'm calling it: RAPA NUI! Moai plz
That would still be like SA after all, since it's part of Chile today. :mischief:

View attachment 486494
  • Green arrow: The headband seems very close to the depiction. The feathers would probably not appear in the leader icon as they are on the back of his head.
  • Black arrow: Somewhat curlier hair, but the headband in this picture is not so similar.
  • Red arrow: In this picture Lautaro seems to wear a metallic breastplate. Maybe this is a part what we see as collar? or...

Nevertheless I find the depicted nose quite broad, in comparison to the pictures of Lautaro. Either it's part of artistic freedom, a misrepresentation again (Seondeok, Tamar,...) or maybe it's someone else.

The nose, as I thought. Honestly, it really doesn't look American...That's why, as stated earlier, I first thought of a polynesian man

Sure, but between the nose and the eyes, he just looks more polynesian than american. We'll see

I just haven't been convinced by any of the Polynesian leader pictures posted so far.
And Firaxis has a record of not portraying leaders with the proper phenotype. :p

King Decebalus of Dacia would be a good addition to the game. Although, doesn't look remotely like him.
Marco Polo of Venice? (not really a ruler, so nah)

A Comanche Chief?

Give up, no clue...

If it is a Comanche chief it would probably be Iron Jacket who wore some armor that his ancestors poached off a Spaniard, hence his name. Skin tone should be darker though and the curly hair doesn't really fit.

Really though Quanah Parker, Buffalo Hump, Santa Anna, or Old Owl would be better.

View attachment 486494

This is the closest match:

Here's my two cents:

As far as I'm concerned it's either a south american civ or a polynesian and here's why:

SA
  • South America is still unrepresented except for Brazil
  • The guy could be Lautaro
  • Blue on Blue is their color and the Mapuche flag is blue
O
  • If representation is an argument, then Polynesia has to be considered. Sure in SA there's only Brazil, but in polynesia there's nobody!
  • The guy looks polynesian to me, first thing I thought when I saw him
  • Blue on blue could be any polynesian civ color for obvious reaons

There aren't many depictions of their leaders. I'd say we'd be getting a mythical leader if that were the case. Hotu?

Is there any chance this headband guy could be Shaka Zulu? :p

God, I hope not. The thought crossed my mind though.

I doubt Firaxis would make a Rapanui Civ. Their territory is too small. They would probably be folded into a blob Polynesia.

People have said Australia being in the game makes a Polynesian Civ less likely for some reason. Also some say Indonesia and Norway have taken abilities that would belong to a potential Polynesia Civ.

This is the closest match:

I have to disagree with you:

• the statue has rather straight hair
  • the necklace does not really match the visible collar
  • the structure/fabric pattern of the headband is not visible on the statue
  • the nose is too narrow here too (but this also applies to all other illustrations)

Remember that all portrayals of Lautaro were made long after his death. None of them are accurate to the real-life person.
This allows Firaxis the freedom to portray Lautaro differently from the other depictions.

I doubt Firaxis would make a Rapanui Civ. Their territory is too small. They would probably be folded into a blob Polynesia.

People have said Australia being in the game makes a Polynesian Civ less likely for some reason. Also some say Indonesia and Norway have taken abilities that would belong to a potential Polynesia Civ.
Because all civs have retained their previous abilities. :rolleyes:
I think some form of Polynesian people is possible, especially since they are seeming to de-blob Civs to an extent. If anything Maori could be more warfare like, Samoa more culturally. Perfect civs to make use of seaside resorts

Because all civs have retained their previous abilities. :rolleyes:
I think some form of Polynesian people is possible, especially since they are seeming to de-blob Civs to an extent. If anything Maori could be more warfare like, Samoa more culturally. Perfect civs to make use of seaside resorts

I support some form of Polynesian Civ too! :D

The new civ represented by the headband leader is depicted in the Scotland First Look video to be primarily inland.

mapuche.png

From the New Features video, we can see that none of the mystery civ's cities are even close to the coasts. Either this civ's coastal start bias broke for this game, or there isn't one.

Top Bottom