[R&F] New civ on the horizon! Abilities?

From Wikipedia alone it seems hard to put any sort of profile together. They were good at weaving and after the Spanish arrived became skilled with silver. Maybe some sort of trade bonus?

They had a religion which seems enough for Firaxis to give religious bonuses

They rebelled against the Spanish so maybe some bonus to defending its borders?

The wiki article mentions they were known for their "Clava" hand club which makes me think they'll get a warrior replacement.

Their Chemamulls were giant funerary statues made from wood and marked the graves of the dead. Perhaps a UI and gives faith/culture

Oooo, it would be cool if they did something similar to the Quecha from civ 4.

View attachment 486363
Reviving this thread so we can speculate about headband guy....

View attachment 486364
His Civ colors as seen to the Northwest of Rotterdam and on the minimap.

Is he really Lautaro of the Mapuche or is he some Polynesian leader?
Why would the colors indicate Polynesia? The light/mid blue mix maybe goes well with the blues of Argentina and Chile... but the Byzantines were blue in V, so who knows?

Why would the colors indicate Polynesia? The light/mid blue mix maybe goes well with the blues of Argentina and Chile... but the Byzantines were blue in V, so who knows?

I just mentioned Polynesian because others were speculating he was Polynesian instead of Mapuche in other threads.
I think he's unlikely to be Byzantine. We already have Antioch as a City-State and that's usually in the Byzantine City-list (at least in Civ5).

South America could definitely use another Civ at the moment. As for why they chose the Mapuche instead of the Inca....I'm guessing they're going to use them to sell a DLC or another expansion....

He doesnt look like any Byzantine leader , and adding Byzantium before or without Ottomans..would be unxpected.

Here's a Samoan Chief. It's a possibility. The headband part looks the closest. Blue goes well with the ocean.

View attachment 486363

View attachment 486364

I dont think a Polynesian leader would spawn literally in the middle of the continent. :p

Also, his buildings look more like the brown roofed ancient European type. :think:

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think a Polynesian leader would spawn literally in the middle of the continent. :p
Well would the Netherlands either? :p

Also, his buildings look more like the brown roofed ancient European type. :think:

It's too hard for me to make out the building type...Keep in mind that this Civ's colors could change by the time Firaxis reveals them.
It's possible that they were going to reveal the headband leader's Civ before posting that video....

The netherlands might only have a river bias? :p
I guess they really want us to build those lake harbors.
Either way it's too hard to tell. I've been thinking it has been the Mapuche but I'm exploring other options.
Here's another one I just though of
upload_2018-1-25_16-26-51.jpeg
Flag of Cusco. What if it does turn out to be the Inca after all?

I revived the headband guy discussion over in the general discussion thread. I find this tease really interesting.

Byzantine rulers have been suggested. Lautaro is by far the most likely, but aside from one statue, the hair seems way off.

Doing some research on Polynesian leaders, Pomare of Tahiti is a dark horse possibility.

Whoever it is, they strike me as a dark horse civ. Since the very first livestream, they've been teasing this civ. First with the blurry photo and then the colours, followed by more shots of his leader head without a blur. They're building up the hype and I starting to think they're really the 'surprise pick' of the expansion, instead of Georgia.

Very good point. Looks like a cliff bias.

Last edited:
View attachment 486363

View attachment 486364

Maybe neither:coffee:
From the face I would say Filipino.

But take a look with the magnifying glass at his neck and hair. He seems to wear a red dress neck high. This did not fit for a Mapuche or some other Polynesian leader.
He seems to have brown hair. Is this likely for Mapuche
This headband could be something of leather too.

So maybe we are absolutely on the wrong track.:confused:

Thanks for the images of this mysterious headband guy:goodjob:

Looking at the pic from Guandao's post... the leader looks a bit European to me.

Could it be:
king Lars Porsena of the Etruscans?
A Portuguese king? (unlikely)

Perhaps a Mediterranean leader/tribe...
Hamilcar of Carthage?
Minos of Crete?

And if not Euro-Aryan, then most likely Native American.
Mapuche chief Lautaro
Perhaps Geronimo of the Apache? - nah, not likely.
An Incan Emperor?

Polynesian option is also quite likely.

Last edited:
Looking at the pic from Guandao's post... the leader looks a bit European to me.

Now that you mention it. Maybe it's the much-anticipated fifth Greek leader:lol:

Here is the neck of the headband guy under the magnifying glass:
Spoiler :

That's not just a collar, or?

Attachments

• New leader closeup3.png
    New leader closeup3.png
    154.7 KB · Views: 522
Looks like a collar to me. As much as Lautaro fits well, I'm really not positive it's a lock. There are a few options, especially given the cartoony stylings of some of the leaders. For instance, Robert the Bruce would never be my first guess if I'd seen his face without the civ.

Dont bother guessing ethnicity , remember Korean release ? she didnt look korean at all and was fixed , Tamara has also a bit questionable looks , so could be same thing with this guy. Mapuche guess is best since we lack civs from South America region.

Could it be:
king Lars Porsena of the Etruscans?
A Portuguese king? (unlikely)

Perhaps a Mediterranean leader/tribe...
Hamilcar of Carthage?
Minos of Crete?
I don't see it being European.
That being said Carthage and Portugal aren't coming. They are still as city-states.
I'm guessing
1. The Mapuche
2. Some Polynesian people
3. Inca (long shot because not enough gold)
4. Some other SA tribe
I don't think we're going to see any more NA tribes right now.

King Decebalus of Dacia would be a good addition to the game. Although, doesn't look remotely like him.
Marco Polo of Venice? (not really a ruler, so nah)

A Comanche Chief?

Give up, no clue...

Realistic suggestions I've seen:

Lautaro
Huanya Capac
Basil II
Pomare

Lautaro for the Mapuche is the closest match and SA is empty. Blue on blue works for any of those civs, except the Inca.

Lapu-Lapu is another really good suggestion actually. A lot of depictions have him with a headband and neck ornamentation. Similar hair as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom