New Civ Tweet... what could this be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wording does suggest the HoF though. Maybe it‘s a DLC that adds gameplay things without being a full expansion. Or would they advertise an expansion with the HoF as a main feature?

There's a couple of things that go against this being a DLC or patch:

1) the cinematic. It's new. They have never created an animation like this for any past DLC or patch or teased one in this fashion. Maybe it's part of a HoF thing, but that would get old I think; having to sit through a 1 minute+ cinematic just to see if you beat your old score. This is the kind of thing they do with an expansion.

2) They've never given a time in just Pacific time before, which tends to indicate that this wasn't posted by the usual social media person at Firaxis, and that 2K is involved as they are located in California. 2K hasn't previously been involved in marketing small-stakes stuff like DLC before.

I still think it's way too early for an expansion, but this smells like one. An announcement for an expansion now would mean a February release.

Also, the board game comes out this Friday, not Tuesday.

So.. Ed Beach has done few interviews out of the blue, where he hints about Civ 6's future. And now this.

The board game comes out this week so it's definately for that.

I guess Expansion is likely,,

By the way, on the wheel there's like one extra era than in Civ 6, if those are indeed eras:

Medieval (Knight's helmet)
Renaissance ( Musket, painters gear, telescope)
Industrial (train and coal, tophat and cane)
Colonial/Imperialistic(?) ( Rifle, Tropical helmet, Gramophone)
It's the modern era that you are referring to. Afterwards come Atomic and Information. I don't think there is a doubt that the pictures are showing the eras of civ VI.

How likely is it that they change the release model and announce an expansion now that will arrive as an early access expansion in February, going gold in Summer?

What is the longest time (months) in the civilization series that an expansion has been announced in advance?

The first Civ IV expansion came out 9 months after the game's release, while the first Civ V expansion came out 21 months after release. Civ V's "cycle" (time until the next sequel was released) was also a year longer than IV's however, as there were 5 years between IV and V, and 6 years between V and VI.

Gods and Kings was announced 17 months after V's release. Meanwhile, it's been just over 13 months since VI was released, so if time to release from announcement is the same it seems to be in line for a spring expansion (if it is an expansion at all, that is).

It's definitely the hotfix to the civ starting place hotfix, guys. Why wait so long to release it other than to make fancy videos and marketing material? :D

I have no idea. At first I thought it was to do with the new board game coming out, but then I realised the date is after its release.
They also responded to someone asking if it is about the board game. Their response: 'no, something different'. It must be about the expansion!

Stupid question, but that video didn't have sound, did it? I couldn't get any sound to play, but I didn't want to miss anything if it did have sound...

It does seem early for an expansion announcement, but that could be why Ed was doing so many '1 year anniversary' interviews, to set the stage. Also why their resources have been a little thin on the patches.

Otoh hand, with the CEOs recent interview, maybe it's Civ Online: wait 20 turns to finish this wonder or pay to build it now!

Well I don't think it has anything to do with the board game again.

On Facebook, someone commented "if this is about the board game again, there will be riots," to which the Civilization page answered "there will be no riots."

Last edited:
Well I don't think it has something to do with the board game again.

On Facebook, someone commented "if this is about the board game again, there will be riots," to which the Civilization page answered "there will be no riots."

They said similar on Twitter. It's not the board game.

As usual i put my trust on Eagle Pursuit to read through the firaxis fog of minor details.

Lets combine all the smart brains of the civfanatic community and figure out what is happening on November 28th.

I`ll say the expansion is still like 6 months off at least, My expectation is still summer `18. It could be a double sized patch in januari? With an innovation that should belong to an expansion?

Smart brains? :confused:

IIRC the PC Gamer article was kind of saying that, unlike its predecessors, Civ6 mechanisms were already fleshed out before the development started.

If it's true, then an expansion could come earlier in the cycle than for Civ5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom