New Civ5 Preview on IGN (3/8/2010)

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
IGN just published a new Civilization V preview with some new details from a hands-on playtest of the game! The 3-page article goes into the core game mechanics in more depth than any other preview so far, and notes the diligence Firaxis has put towards this game: "It sounds kind of insane, but Firaxis is constantly running AI games in a test environment to get a better sense of the relationships between all these systems."

Here are a few excerpts that should help Civ4 veterans get a sense of what's different:

Strategic resources are handled differently. There the quantity is very important. One iron deposit, for instance, will only grant you the right to build and maintain, say, five iron-based units. You can't build any more than that until one of those units dies (or is disbanded) or you get access to more iron. You will be allowed to keep those units in the field if your resource is pillaged, but there's an additional maintenance burden and you won't be able to replace them if they're lost.

Borders are also handled a bit differently. Instead of just dropping a big culture bomb at certain thresholds, a city's territory will keep better pace with population and grow one tile at a time. Now when you get a new tile, you'll probably have no other choice but to work it. It's still based on culture, and you can drop some cash to speed things up, but culture growth will be more relevant over the long term in Civ V. You also won't pick the tiles individually. Instead the game will weight growth towards "good" tiles like grassland or wheat and away from "bad" tiles like forests and mountains. It makes sense that culture would tend to spread quickest where people can settle and make a living, but we're not sure yet what impact this has on production-focused cities that need lots of mines and forests.

You can discuss the preview here on our Civ5 General Discussion forums.

Thanks to the author Steve Butts (aka mrbee) for posting about it on the forums!

Glad to see they did away with espionage, didnt care for it. the one unit per hex is really going to change the way battles are conducted. I cant wait for more info. cant wait for the fall to purchase and begin spending many sleepless nights for just one more turn.

:yumyum::yumyum::drool::drool::drool::drool:

need i say more? I'm not gonna make it to september...no way...the AI sounds amazing...i'm especially interested as that's what I'm going to be studying in college...AI :D

Looks good. ^^

The more I see of Civ 5, the more I like it.

Strategic resources are handled differently. There the quantity is very important. One iron deposit, for instance, will only grant you the right to build and maintain, say, five iron-based units. You can't build any more than that until one of those units dies (or is disbanded) or you get access to more iron. You will be allowed to keep those units in the field if your resource is pillaged, but there's an additional maintenance burden and you won't be able to replace them if they're lost.

This is epic! Best news ever!

Civ 5 Preview said:
You also won't pick the tiles individually. Instead the game will weight growth towards "good" tiles like grassland or wheat and away from "bad" tiles like forests and mountains.

This REALLY doesn't sound good. I don't know civ IV, but the tiles I have my cities use often depends on my victory condition and what I want the city to do. But now if I want a high production city, I can't swap to mountains and hills, I just have to hope that the AI does it for me? Even CivRev has the ability to swap citizens to different tiles. So, how in the world will this really work? How can the human player make his cities production match her plans? It also SOUNDS like another indication that Civ V won't have any workers. If no workers, how does one adapt one's territory to one's plans like how one adapts one citizens to one's plans?

Admittedly though, maybe I lack imagination in (some of) these respects. Then again, maybe not.

With every new preview they release I grow more and more confident in what they're building. It's really looking amazing from both asthetic and gameplay perspectives. Go devs!

Please don't forget marathon mode!

Flaming arrows! Sweet! :D

@ Spoonwood.
I read that bit to mean that when the city radius expands it expands to "good" tiles like food first and then to "bad" tiles like mountains afterwards. You should still be able to decide where to put your people to work in the city screen. At least i hope that is the case, otherwise you are right, it is really going to nerf your planning and production.

Glad to see that they used my (and many others) idea of needing more than one strategic resource to build more of certain units.
Btw i don't know if I'm going to make it to fall. I might slip into a coma until i am awakend by the presence of ciV in the hospital. :lol:

The preview finally makes some things clear; the only bit I don't like is the "generic" research treaty. I'm also a little worried about the comment "when you get a new tile, you almost have to work it." Doesn't seem to leave much room for actual thinking or strategy. Finally, the city state idea seems interesting, but it almost seems a little "gamey."

The brief discussion of the AI was extremely interesting. I love how it's really four cooperating subsystems. The fact they seem to fit onto human hierarchies in real civilizations is a testament to the mechanics of the game. The Grand Strategic AI is like a King, determining the overall strategy of his Empire. The Strategic AI is more like ministers or bureaucrats, drafting and implementing policy intended to accomplish the tasks necessary to execute the King's master plan. The Operational AI is like a General, coordinating the armies involved in a whole war, while the Tactical AI is more like a Lieutenant, commanding an individual army in the field.

In another battle, a small group of powerful units were able to hold off a much larger attacking army in a narrow mountain pass.

I love this bit!! Sounds like the movie "300" can be recreated here!!

Civ 4 is one of my favorite games ever but I'm glad the Civ 5 isn't just a rehash of the same old.
The new AI sounds awesome. The presentation and interface sound great. The game itself sounds like it has less features than the previous version but the implementation of what I've read sounds interesting... Greed for strategic resources sounds well implemented!

Finally, the city state idea seems interesting, but it almost seems a little "gamey."
I agree with this bit..

I agree with this bit..

This reminds me a lot of a feature in a a rts game I played a while ago, it was pretty fun in my opinion. Also, the auother makes a good point on wars being fought over small towns and such. Finally, the teenager in me has to mention this, the author must have had a rough childhood...:sad:

The brief discussion of the AI was extremely interesting. I love how it's really four cooperating subsystems. The fact they seem to fit onto human hierarchies in real civilizations is a testament to the mechanics of the game. The Grand Strategic AI is like a King, determining the overall strategy of his Empire. The Strategic AI is more like ministers or bureaucrats, drafting and implementing policy intended to accomplish the tasks necessary to execute the King's master plan. The Operational AI is like a General, coordinating the armies involved in a whole war, while the Tactical AI is more like a Lieutenant, commanding an individual army in the field.

This interested me as well. I kind of saw it as different components of a simulated human mind. The "flavor" is sort of like a human "will." Like the AI asking 'how am I going to play this time around?' The top level AI is like the sum of that 'person's' expereince figuring out how to utilize the game to fulfill that will. What they're doing is really neat and metaphysical. The whole thing was both extremely creepy and cool at the same time. I'm really looking forward to playing against these "technological terrors..."

I love this bit!! Sounds like the movie "300" can be recreated here!!

This was also the thing got my attention the most. It seems as though terrain will now play a huge part in battles.

As for everything else... :woohoo:

Top Bottom