IGN: 2K Reveals Civilization Mobile Game, Moves to Calm Concern It May Impact Civilization 7

you're describing the US government lol... remember "boundless informant" and edward snowden? You're describing it to a tee.

China's not gonna let a us-affiliated company funnel domestic chinese users' data out of the country to firaxis HQ in maryland or 2k in cali -- anyway this is not what that clause is referring to, putting it in writing makes it not secret at all, they're just listing the manner in which you can lose your account, thats the only purpose of the code of conduct.

Tencent is indeed subject to chinese gov't oversight, just like firaxis/2k is by US gov't. Neither gov't needs a game company's code of conduct to enable their spying activities lol; this conspiracy theory stuff doesn't make sense. Besides nobody's getting any useful, compromising data out of these mobile game apps. The game's purpose is to drain your wallet, and this clause makes it nice and legal to terminate any account on any basis, even if the user's sunk thousands into it, no matter if its for something that happened in or out of game.
This sounds like a debate between possible and probable. Sure, US has "surveillance capitalism" as described by Prof. Shoshanna Zuboff (3 min summary, longer if you look in the YT sidebar), but not like China:

The basic issue here is: "I'm not doing anything wrong, so they won't monitor me." Wrong. Tencent don't know who is disobeying their game rules unless they check *everyone*. And while doing that, they monitor content ("hate speech" bogeyman) in addition to checking for cheating them out of in-game purchases (which many "free" games have if you want higher level play).

Who says they have to share data with their US partner? What's the contract say? Evidence they do/don't work around it?

FYI, the US also has a "social credit" system, but in privatized form via insurance companies -- see the link in my article:

I first need to read the article to make a summary, but here, have the thread already.

EDIT: The game is called "Civilization: Eras & Allies", and apparently a re-branding of an already existing game called "Conquests and Alliances", a 4X empire builder.
So this is not something actually really new.

From the IGN artcile:
"As we announced earlier this year, Firaxis Games is in active development on the next iteration of the legendary Civilization franchise. We are working with an external partner specializing in mobile social strategy games to develop Civilization: Eras & Allies."

It should also be pointed out that IGN calls it Civ7, and that whoever from Firaxis spoke calls it again the "next iteration".

EDIT: I pulled up a random video from the game on Youtube:

The Civ 7 at home:

Btw does anyone else think that "Eras & Allies" is amazingly lame title even for (almost certainly low quality) mobile game? It's just such bland, generic sack of wet noodles, not invoking any emotions whatsoever. It sounds lame even next to ten thousand derivative "Age of Something" video games, not to mention inspired titles of Civ expansions or Paradox DLCs.
*has chinese/japanese tattoo*
“Aw cool! What does your tattoo say?”
- “wet noodle”

Sure, US has "surveillance capitalism" as described by Prof. Shoshanna Zuboff (3 min summary, longer if you look in the YT sidebar), but not like China
Sure, and these are not the only ones that do this mind you. Five eyes countries all have similar policy as USA in this regard. China not all that different on these points, bare assertions and conspiracy theories notwithstanding.

BUT they're not operating their surveillance programs contingent on the codes of conduct of any video games. You think the NSA or Chinese politburo or any of their subsidiaries/affiliates are gonna say "Oh no, we didn't get this guy/gal to agree to any surveillance-favorable video game ToS, I guess we can't spy on him"? No they're just gonna do it anyway. The clause of concern is there to lean on in defence of a civil claim brought by someone that was banned from the service

Anyway I digress, I'm more curious at this point whether 2k/firaxis's next PC release will try to follow the trend of live product and SaS... I really hope not

Sure, and these are not the only ones that do this mind you. Five eyes countries all have similar policy as USA in this regard. China not all that different on these points, bare assertions and conspiracy theories notwithstanding.

BUT they're not operating their surveillance programs contingent on the codes of conduct of any video games. You think the NSA or Chinese politburo or any of their subsidiaries/affiliates are gonna say "Oh no, we didn't get this guy/gal to agree to any surveillance-favorable video game ToS, I guess we can't spy on him"? No they're just gonna do it anyway. The clause of concern is there to lean on in defence of a civil claim brought by someone that was banned from the service

Anyway I digress, I'm more curious at this point whether 2k/firaxis's next PC release will try to follow the trend of live product and SaS... I really hope not
Big difference
US and five eyes didn't care about who said a fig behind them without any dangers, because it wastes times and money.
And they are not a business company, they don't need to collect those data for their purpose.
But the Chines Government is different, they are aiming to create "a clean and healthy internet environment" and "Tell Chinese stories well" by any cost.
Most of the people that they using the Chinese character in the internet is their main target,
also the Japanese use "Kanji"(Chinese Character), so the Japanese is their range of harassment too.
The harassment doesn’t just happen on social media, also in the social game.
And they actually have Communist Party Member to check out what the Chinese player said in the game.
If that was a game run by a Chinese company, they could find the player who living in China and can give them some "ideological re-education."
If you don't write a letter of repentance and admit your fault that you slandered the party and the country, you won't able to leave.
If you do not plead guilty and seek a lawyer to defend you, it means that you have to prepare for losing the dignity as a human.

This doesn't seem to be a threat to non-Chinese user, but who knows?
According to their Talk, they are exploring how this data collection can bring them any benefit and thought control.
But not necessary.
For non-Chinese user, Chinese Government just a another Big Tech that invade customers privacy, and they won't do better than those Big Tech company in this few years.
If Big Tech is safe, Chinese Government will be safe too.

Last edited by a moderator:

When you play online, or even just buy a download, you register your copy of the game with an email address ("in case we need to contact you") and that can be linked to an IP address. Bots can track your online "behavior" and find your web site, substack, and wordpress. There is no need for additional "agreement" in the eyes of PRC. In theory, they could ban you from visiting their Center of the World country (the name of China in Chinese, like Mediterranean was in Latin), though I agree with other members here that PRC citizens are the ones who suffer most from this.

I think you're referring to SaaS (Software as a Service), which is a subscription model instead of purchase. I discovered to my dismay a few years ago that updating MSOffice on my computer required a monthly fee -- I can no longer own a copy. In the case of Civ versions, I assume we would pay by month, not by hour of playing time, LOL.

That model fits the WEF advertising spin "you will own nothing and you will be happy". Gee, I wonder if Bill Gates will let me swim in his swimming pool, since he will no longer "own" it?

I think you're referring to SaaS (Software as a Service), which is a subscription model instead of purchase. I discovered to my dismay a few years ago that updating MSOffice on my computer required a monthly fee -- I can no longer own a copy. In the case of Civ versions, I assume we would pay by month, not by hour of playing time, LOL.
Yes that's what I meant. It's not always subscription though, look at battlefield 2042, it b2p with no monthly sub, but entirely an online service. When they shut down the servers, there will be nothing remaining to play, unlike previous titles in that series, which almost all still have at least SP, and some LAN functionality even after the servers are long defunct. If civ goes this route, which there would admittedly be a good business case for, on the one hand it might mean strong game content when it's new, on the other, for casual players and modders, possibly not much value.

<sigh> It's happened before:
"In 2007, Disney Online released Pirates of the Caribbean Online. It was an MMO set in the world of Pirates of the Caribbean, which was at the height of its popularity. It let players live in Jack Sparrow's world and go on adventures alongside iconic characters. However, the servers were shut down six years after launch and players were left without a pirate MMO to fill the time. There have been some fan revivals since, but the original title has been shuttered for good. In the age of revivals and reboots, maybe Pirates of the Caribbean Online deserves a comeback."

Some c-suite decision at Disney to replace it with servers for a kiddie game based on their animated movie about Penguins.

Big difference
US and five eyes didn't care about...
I've been guilty of making a number of off-topic discussion posts here, but just to finish up my thought -- check out statistics on incarcerations in both these two we've been discussing primarily. Nominally speaking, China has more prisoners than USA by several hundred thousand. Some counts will say USA leads China in total prisoners but I think when we add up all the exceptions from some of these, china has some percentage more total prisoners, or prisoner-like people, maybe even as high as 50% more than USA (generally the various orgs that track such don't put it that high). But nominal counts aside, the rates are way outta whack: USA's incarceration rate is way higher, there's no reasonable assumption that puts China's incarceration rate as somehow ahead of USA's. While not all prisoners were subject to electronic surveillance in arriving there, its a rather ubiquitous practice for law enforcement in either jurisdiction, and the incarceration rates are an objective indicator of the result that actually matters from this practice.

This doesn't seem to be a threat to non-Chinese user, but who knows?
I think the general topic of surveillance is very much a threat to all users of technology and internet, everyone should indeed have these things in mind, with some segments of population at more significant risk than others, depending where you are. Canada, as another five eyes example, has something like 1/3 of their prison population made up of Indigenous people -- Canadian Indigenous people are not infrequently granted refugee status in USA of all places, due to common findings of "testilying" by law enforcement up there, or unlawful use of surveillance. Uyghurs of course being China's equivalents, but again incarceration rates of each group wash away the claim of any "big difference" -- the difference is really quite small and subtle.

As someone above pointed out, what China tracks within social credit system, north americans track via a combo of insurance, criminal, financial credit record systems etc. IP logging happens with every service everywhere in 2023, unless you're willing to route everything you do through some kind of layered VPN into tor network, thats just public info, its collection doesn't mean spying or any other undue surveillance is occurring.

Anyway, to tie this all back to the topic at hand one last time, the quote from the new civ mobile game's code of conduct is neither here nor there on any of this -- surveillance will happen, or not, regardless of this clause, or that of any other video game -- its purpose on 2k's page is to mitigate liability arising in the context of civil claim from anyone that gets their account banned for whatever reason. I'd be much more concerned about limiting my micro-spending if I were to pick this one up, but I just won't. Hoping y'all are right about some other title in the works at Firaxis, but I have my doubts there too.

"In 2007, Disney Online released Pirates of the Caribbean Online. It was an MMO set in the world of Pirates of the Caribbean, which was at the height of its popularity. It let players live in Jack Sparrow's world and go on adventures alongside iconic characters. However, the servers were shut down six years after launch and players were left without a pirate MMO to fill the time. There have been some fan revivals since, but the original title has been shuttered for good. In the age of revivals and reboots, maybe Pirates of the Caribbean Online deserves a comeback."
I never got a chance to try that one before it went away, but I do love the pirate theme. Have dabbled in 'sea of thieves' occasionally, its really well done, and I hear they added some kind of PvE mode recently. Gonna probably revisit it soon.

Some c-suite decision at Disney to replace it with servers for a kiddie game based on their animated movie about Penguins.
Well, sure, but an MMO is necessarily online. That's not really comparable to a Civilization game.

Well, sure, but an MMO is necessarily online. That's not really comparable to a Civilization game.

Speaking of MMOs, who remembers Civ World?
(I totally thought I was gonna lose my job cos I was playing it at work! 😆)
I have a feeling that, when we do see a civ 7, it may have some kind of mmo-esque features in this style

Might not be all bad necessarily, but we can't deny that some kind of always-online functionality is more and more the trend for big AAA developers.

I wonder if the next iteration of civ's AI might go this route... If they were to develop a machine-learning, chatgpt style opponent to play against, it would have to be some kind of centralized hive-mind style server structure, wouldn't it? Else how would it really learn.. alternatively I suppose it could be locally deployed but with functionality to phone home to firaxis every so often. Lotsa potential here, in theory.. probably the biggest criticism of civ series at this point in time is AI's inability to truly match a skilled human player.

I wonder if the next iteration of civ's AI might go this route... If they were to develop a machine-learning, chatgpt style opponent to play against, it would have to be some kind of centralized hive-mind style server structure, wouldn't it? Else how would it really learn.. alternatively I suppose it could be locally deployed but with functionality to phone home to firaxis every so often. Lotsa potential here, in theory.. probably the biggest criticism of civ series at this point in time is AI's inability to truly match a skilled human player.
Your premise here automatically assumes the veracity of the conclusion.

I sincerely doubt “machine learning” will have any part in Civ 7. There is not a single example of any game using machine learning for its AI. It has just become a buzzword at this point. And referencing “ChatGPT” in this context just makes no sense.

Furthermore, just because you yourself want AI that could mirror the skills of humans doesn’t mean that’s what the majority of players want, or even what the developers have ever intended. I certainly have no interest in playing a minmaxing AI that relies on exploits.

There’s a much more fundamental question here as to what the AI in civ should be: a competitive foil to the player that actually wants to win, or an immersive and engaging entity that makes the world feel lived in, or a mix of both?

Given that many players seem to want a more immersive and less “boardgamey” experience, I don’t think the former type of AI would be very fun for most of us.

That said, at the very least, I think we can all agree that the AI should at least be able to competently partake in all of the game’s systems. This is something that both Civ 5 and 6 have failed at.

What's the case for using this cryptic language rather than just coming out and saying "civ 7 is on its way and here's this bonus mobile game til then"?
I'm guessing right now that it'll be something else. Like a remake of Civ2, or another kind of spin-off.

That said, I know absolutely nothing (and if I did, I'd not be allowed to say it here).

I'm guessing right now that it'll be something else. Like a remake of Civ2, or another kind of spin-off.

That said, I know absolutely nothing (and if I did, I'd not be allowed to say it here).
I don't think so. My guess is this: they are so tight with their marketing and fan communication that they don't want to open the flood gates, so to speak, by mentioning "Civ 7" until they're ready to do their marketing runup when the game is announced ~6 months before release.

I think they just made that vague announcement earlier in the year to assuage the concerns of fans, because this is the longest time ever between entries in the series. Another thing is that all game media sites, even the big ones that officially engage with 2K/Firaxis like IGN, constantly refer to "Civ 7" being announced--if Civ 7 isn't forthcoming, it's reasonable that someone at 2K or Firaxis would have communicated off-the-record to not use that term to prevent fans from being very disappointed.

Yeah that's a reasonable alternative, they just haven't prepped the marketing campaign worthy of such a highly anticipated title. Would potentially cannibalize any remaining sales of 6 in the pipeline, encouraging potential buyers to save their money and wait til the next one rather than buy now.

Skepticism aside, my hopes lie here primarily

There’s a much more fundamental question here as to what the AI in civ should be: a competitive foil to the player that actually wants to win, or an immersive and engaging entity that makes the world feel lived in, or a mix of both?
Playing Civ alone isn't like playing chess against a computer. There are multiple opponents (unless you choose Duel) and you want some "engaging" aspect that distinguishes one AI opponent from another. Personally, I thought the animated leaders speaking (supposedly) reconstructed languages in Civ 5 was way better than the cartoonish images in Civ 6.

As for "immortality" of the leaders -- well, it's just convenience to refer to the same AI player by its leader name for the entire game, instead of introducing multiple iterations/name changes over time. Iterations could give you some interesting twists in regard to which civs dislike others -- think of geopolitical changes since ww2, let alone further back -- but it seems like an unnecessary bell or whistle.

Top Bottom