New Civilization: Ireland

I vote you create a Gael mod, and ignore these political divisions which divide the ancient Gaelic lands. Niall Noigíallach and Roibert a Briuis could be the two leaders. The latter is often thought of as a Norman, but his mother was a Gael, and he obviously thought Gaelic to be his first language. Both are appropriate for large-scale pan-Gaelic activities, unlike Brian Bóruma or his Scottish equivalent Máel Coluim II, who both largely confined themselves to their own islands.

calgacus said:
I vote you create a Gael mod, and ignore these political divisions which divide the ancient Gaelic lands. Niall Noigíallach and Roibert a Briuis could be the two leaders. The latter is often thought of as a Norman, but his mother was a Gael, and he obviously thought Gaelic to be his first language. Both are appropriate for large-scale pan-Gaelic activities, unlike Brian Bóruma or his Scottish equivalent Máel Coluim II, who both largely confined themselves to their own islands.

You're the same guy who refused to have a Gaelic culture in Crusader Kings. Is this a vote of confidence for my abilities? ;)

I wouldn't be against a Gael mod, but I'd probably make that separately. :)

Sadistik said:
You're the same guy who refused to have a Gaelic culture in Crusader Kings. Is this a vote of confidence for my abilities? ;)

I wouldn't be against a Gael mod, but I'd probably make that separately. :)

Who's this? Brian Bóruma?

Yeah, I was. The problem there was and is naming, as I said many a time. Otherwise, I'd be perfectly for it.

calgacus said:
Who's this? Brian Bóruma?

Yeah, I was. The problem there was and is naming, as I said many a time. Otherwise, I'd be perfectly for it.
Aye, t'is one in the same. Naming is the main problem in all Pan-Gaelic activities, because "Scotia" has been identified with your folks, even though it historically represented both. ;)

Sadistik said:
Aye, t'is one in the same. Naming is the main problem in all Pan-Gaelic activities, because "Scotia" has been identified with your folks, even though it historically represented both. ;)

I meant more like I couldn't have Scottish kings and mormaers called Diarmaid, Brian and Conchobar; likewise, I didn't want every second Irish kinglet called Máel Coluim, and you yourself were averse to Irish Causantíns. But this is for CK forum, and not here. G'luck with this project.

calgacus said:
I meant more like I couldn't have Scottish kings and mormaers called Diarmaid, Brian and Conchobar; likewise, I didn't want every second Irish kinglet called Máel Coluim, and you yourself were averse to Irish Causantíns. But this is for CK forum, and not here. G'luck with this project.
I only commented that you were against Pan-Gaelic work before, and that it was ironic that you would support it for Civ 4. Didn't mean to bring up old daemons. :)

dalek master said:
Ireland's colour should be green. the screenshot has them in yellow?

Green being associated with Ireland is a recent occurance that happened after the Norman invasion. Before that, the colors of Ireland were blue and gold. Since France, Scotland, etc. are using blue as their textcolor, I thought gold would be best for Ireland, although green does make sense for obvious "association" reasons.

Ireland's flag before the English invaded was the modern flag of Munster, three golden crowns on a dark blue banner. After Henry VII named himself king, he changed it to a golden "Boru" harp on blue, which has stuck ever since (Even the President of Ireland uses it.)

So basically, the color of your borders is decided by your primary color, which I set to yellow. I changed the textcolor to green today in the latest update. :)

dalek master said:
Ireland's colour should be green. the screenshot has them in yellow?

Second that. I know what you're saying about the pre- and post Norman thing. But to me, the "Boru" harp and the green of the Isle will always go together.

Otherwise, nice mod.

rifleman said:
Second that. I know what you're saying about the pre- and post Norman thing. But to me, the "Boru" harp and the green of the Isle will always go together.

Otherwise, nice mod.
So you're a Leinsterman? ;)

Quinzy said:
the picts lived in what is now scotland. the original scots lived in what is now northern ireland. the picts went south and assimilated into cumbrians (so unique to other english they nearly need a civ of their own!)
the N.I scots moved into scotland and the geals moved north to northern ireland.
the origins of the colonisation of ireland are fuzzy ones. the irish say that the someones, (cant remember name) were the first, then the some other ones (cant remember) and finaly the some other others (once again, memory fails me). but the iberians are the most likely "culprits".

I believe the original name for Ireland was Hibernia. Maybe it was some of these guys you are thinking of?

No Eremon or Eber Finn as leaders?

Come on! The original Irishmen, the sons of Milesius, shouldn't one of them be there? ;)

NorthernEmpress said:
No Eremon or Eber Finn as leaders?

Come on! The original Irishmen, the sons of Milesius, shouldn't one of them be there? ;)

We all have our Milesian kings that we'd want in, since any Irish person is probably descended from a High King somewhere.

Hell, I'd be inclined to add Rudraige Mór or Conall Cernach for dynastical reasons ;)

NorthernEmpress said:
I'd make their UU a bard, btw, if I could think of useful abilities for it...
Hmm.. Bards sing. Morale? *shrug*

I love it!

For a UU, the Irish Republican Army used Guerrilla tactics which harassed the British Empire for a long time. They did this in many ways though. They seemed to be efficient at planting bombs and more or less ruining cities for a long time so a siege weapon of some sort, like a petrol bomber (Molotov cocktails).

I've said it a few times but since it's (arguably) wrong, it falls on deaf ears. I've been hesitant to include Dev, Collins, or anything related to the struggle for independence from Britain because it could stir up sectarian feelings.

An IRA unique unit does make sense, and so do republican leaderheads... but if we do that, it's only fair to add Mr. Cromwell for England as well. (Then again, they already have Lizzie, and she was almost as bad. Worse, for my family anyway.)

Tomyris said:
Ahh yes, don't forget Lord Grey either...
...Or Churchill. ;)

The man reluctantly signed the document handing Ireland her (partial) freedom, lived in Dublin as a youth, had an American mother and yet he still didn't understand freedom.. Either that or he just hated the Irish :(

Top Bottom