New Civilization: Ireland

I havn't read the whole post so mabye you answered this already. But why did you make the Irish expansive. We've never been anything of the sort.

It's been almost half a year but... *bump*

I'd like to see more done with this.
Maybe even add Patrick Pearse as a leader?

Yeah, someone mentioned that might be insulting but... Come on.
There are peaceful Irish and Scottish nationalists who play Civ4, and it could always be amusing to see William Wallace of Scotland and Patrick Pearse of Ireland team up and take down Queen Elizabeth.

Yeah. the early celts (Example: the Gauls and possibly Picts) had little in common with the medieval Irish.

Celts from Spain ['celtiberians'] colonized Ireland and named it after one of their Goddesses [eriu]. They then several centuries later colonized Scotland, Iceland, Man, etc.

Unfortunately, the Welsh, Bretons, and Cornish are not among these, so they're very distant cousins.

That's why the Celtic civ is too broad to work for the modern era. It's like having a Slavic civ and using Rurik and Stalin.

Correction : Celtiberians are celts from Iberia (portugal and galiza more precisely),not from spain.

I went to Ireland in October and I love it,people were so "jealous" when knew that me and my friends were portuguese they said that Portugal is very popular there,the people is very kind and warm,when they see that you had lost they will help you without you asking for it,in Ireland I saw many flags of America (that made me thought that America could be an Irish colony :D) ,and I saw many flags with the harp,so I ask to the person who did this civ why the flag and colors of Ireland aren't green and orange/yellow??

Like this one:

Correction : Celtiberians are celts from Iberia (portugal and galiza more precisely),not from spain.

,and I saw many flags with the harp,so I ask to the person who did this civ why the flag and colors of Ireland aren't green and orange/yellow??

Like this one:

Thats a very complicated answer but I will try answer it. The flag above is an old Gaelic flag. It is still seen as a very nationalist/republican symbol. The current Irish flag is more of a non-denominational flag. The green stands for everything Gaelic and Catholic, while the orange stands for Protestans and William of Orange. The white symbolises peace between the two sides. This peace never really existed up until the last few years. The flag was first unveiled in 1870's? It became the free states flag in 1922. There is so much more to explain but I hope this is ok for now. If you want to know more you could buy several books, but don't be afraid to ask me anymore questions.

Hmmm, when I follow your link it leads me to an empty domain. Never mind, it's a work in progress anyway and I'll visit when it's all up, hopefully.

Top Bottom