New classic movies...CGI and the big stars

Leading to a more informed, less easily manipulated public?

Fat chance. No wonder they are extinct.

When CGI started getting not-too-pathetic in the 90s, my sister Mylochka and I started taking about the possibilities of the technology getting good enough to digitally replace actors in movies - she'd like, for example, to replace Sam Jones in Flash Gordon; he was a bit of a weak link you couldn't overlook in a highly-flawed film made magnificent by Freddy Mercury. But our favorite topic for this was recasting Blade Runner with the usual suspects from film noir, an idea made futile yet glorious when you imagine Humphrey Bogart as Deckard and realize it doesn't change anything! (Likewise Lauren Bacall as Rachel - the big change would be anyone but Rutger Hauer as Roy, which I've never been able to wrap my head around.)

So I've always called this the "Blade Runner technology" and it's fun to kick around, leaving all ethical considerations aside while the techs still not good enough. There's no end of movies ruined by one or two miscast actors that could conceivably be fixed.

-My favorite there is a notion of Mylochka's; Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, a sequel considered intensely disappointing at the time -though I liked it okay- might be made wonderful simply by replacing Kate Capshaw with Charisma Carpenter. Imagine it; pretty much the same performance in the same way, but Cordelia would be even hotter -the part does call for a good-looking woman- and nail all the jokes that fell flat. -Incidentally, the difficulty level on actually doing that is rapidly ratcheting up; Carpenter was right for the part when he was on Buffy, is still beautiful at 47, but maybe way too old for the part already, and it could easily be another decade before the tech's gotten good enough...

Top Bottom