New Cumulative General History Quiz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sir James Chadwick; 1932.
Be + alpha-particle -> n + C

Nobel laureate 1935 for that discovery. Must have been a pretty honorable guy:

"Later, he found out that a scientist in Germany had discovered the neutron at the same time. But Hans Falkenhagen(Rostock) was afraid of publishing his results. When Chadwick got to know of Falkenhagens Discovery he offered him to share the Nobel Prize. Falkenhagen was modest and refused this honour."
(From Wikipedia)

Doc Tsiolkovski said:
Be + alpha-particle -> n + C

Nobel laureate 1935 for that discovery. Must have been a pretty honorable guy:

"Later, he found out that a scientist in Germany had discovered the neutron at the same time. But Hans Falkenhagen(Rostock) was afraid of publishing his results. When Chadwick got to know of Falkenhagens Discovery he offered him to share the Nobel Prize. Falkenhagen was modest and refused this honour."
(From Wikipedia)

Doc T is correct! The wikipedia stuff was new to me. Thanks Doc!

Your turn... :D

Wow, must have been some guy.

Doc Tsiolkovski said:

Nobel laureate 1935 for that discovery.

After three years he got the prize, the usual waiting period is 20!

Doc Tsiolkovski said:
Ok, here's the next one:

What is the connection between Christoph Columbus' crew, the city of Naples, a poem about a shepherd boy who annoyed a Greek God, quicksilver, and Al Capone?

Won't be easy to google for that one :D...
Aren't they all connected through syphilis?

yaroslav said:
I wouldn't be that sure, today it's believed that syphilis didn't come from the New World (see Jared Diamond: GGS or the wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syphilis)
You are correct, I forgot that it was a new world disease. maybe they brought it back to Naples. But that leaves the poem.... :(

Syphilis is correct. :thumbsup:
Still, about half the answer is missing ;).

The Poem? Naples? And, I'd like to hear a bit more about quicksilver, and Al (that should be the easiest one).

New World Disease or not: There is evidence of affected Europeans before 1492. However, those were sporadic cases (and oddly enough, all seem to locate to Northern England).

One note: The English Wikipedia entry for Syphilis is absolutely sub-standard; you should look in other languages as well.

Doc Tsiolkovski said:

The Poem? Naples? And, I'd like to hear a bit more about quicksilver, and Al (that should be the easiest one).
I guess I need to bring this back up on my list of tuhings to think about today.

Doc Tsiolkovski said:

New World Disease or not: There is evidence of affected Europeans before 1492. However, those were sporadic cases (and oddly enough, all seem to locate to Northern England).

One note: The English Wikipedia entry for Syphilis is absolutely sub-standard; you should look in other languages as well.

Interesting. :goodjob:
Doc Tsiolkovski said:
The poem?
Syphilis, sive Morbvs Gallicvs, written by Hieronymus Fracastorius and a part of the story is about the shepherd Syphilus who is the first to get this illness as punishment for offending and blaspheming the Sun God.
By the way, some people link the name of this disease to Ovid and the story of Niobe on mount Sipylus.
Doc Tsiolkovski said:
And, I'd like to hear a bit more about quicksilver.
An early treatment of syphilis. If I am not mistaken already crusaders brought back "Saracen ointment" containing mercury to treat leprocy.
Which brings me to:
Doc Tsiolkovski said:
There is evidence of affected Europeans before 1492. However, those were sporadic cases (and oddly enough, all seem to locate to Northern England).
Do you have any good reference to this? As far as I know, there is still a debate about the origins of syphilis;
Post-Columbian - Syphilis is an American disease brought to Europe by Columbus
Pre-Columbian - Syphilis existed in Europe before Columbus, but was misdiagnosed, usually as leprocy. Also here the disease might have originated outside Europe.
Unitarian - The disease existed on both continents, and spread eastwards and westwards.
I believed that those English finds you are referring to (unfortunately I don't remember exactly the places and I am too lazy to google for it) was still debated, I seem to remember some suggestions of other possible diseases.
So I would be happy to see some links about this, if possible.
I will leave Naples and Al Capone to somebody else, but I can't resist going a bit off topic.
Here is an easy riddle: what is red, lives at the bottom of the sea and carries a machine-gun?

Doc Tsiolkovski said:

"Capone was indicted (1931) by a federal grand jury for evasion of income tax payments and was sentenced to an 11-year prison term. In 1939, physically and mentally shattered by syphilis, Capone was released."

Here is an easy riddle: what is red, lives at the bottom of the sea and carries a machine-gun?
I have no clue, and it's not your turn (yet). :lol:

About the post/pre/unitarian thing:
I will expand more on this when I come up with the complete answer; for now: The evidence for European cases is either based on bone affections typical for Syphilis, or descriptions.
Description are pretty problematic, since Syphilis can cause symptoms similar to almost any dermal disease.
I have no doubt about those bones, but: This cannot prove the germ causing it is exactly the same as the American one.
Now, ask yourself: Does the fact the Bubonic Plague was seen in Europe before the 14th century prove the Kaffa->Genoa transmission of The Black Plague is wrong?

That leaves only 'Naples'. ;)
But I'll give a small hint: Why is it called Morbvs Gallicvs?

Doc Tsiolkovski said:
That leaves only 'Naples'. ;)
But I'll give a small hint: Why is it called Morbvs Gallicvs?
"The French Disease", perhaps brought to Naples in 1264 when Charles of Anjou (French) wrested the region from German control.

Q:"What is the connection between:
1.Christoph Columbus' crew,
2.the city of Naples,
3.a poem about a shepherd boy who annoyed a Greek God,
4.quicksilver, and
5.Al Capone"

A:Syphilis is also known as Morbus Gallicus (or Morbvs Gallicvs if ya wanna be fancy) because people blamed the french for Spreading the decease after the French King Charles the 8th (or was it Charles the 7th) had taken Naples. Naples at the time was stock full of victims of syphilis... and after Charles army had done their bit of sacking (lootin, killin and rapin), they efficiantly took the decease to the rest of Europe. Thus the name Morbvs Gallicvs. According to that theory anyways.

but the decease has also been known as

1. The Italian Decease (Due to its prevailence in Naples)
2. The Spanish Decease (due to it being brought back by spaniards, Colombus' crew)
3. The German Decease (Not sure why exactly)

[deactivate cloaking device]

The best and most interesting Q so far Doc T. :D

[reactivate cloaking device]

Doc Tsiolkovski said:
I have no clue, and it's not your turn (yet). :lol:

Al Caprawn :ack: ...Yes,I know it is a lame joke, but I still have a bit of child in me despite being half-way to 80... :lol:

Doc Tsiolkovski said:
About the post/pre/unitarian thing:
I will expand more on this when I come up with the complete answer; for now: The evidence for European cases is either based on bone affections typical for Syphilis, or descriptions.
Description are pretty problematic, since Syphilis can cause symptoms similar to almost any dermal disease.
I have no doubt about those bones, but: This cannot prove the germ causing it is exactly the same as the American one.

Then I will wait for the complete answer. :)

Doc Tsiolkovski said:
Now, ask yourself: Does the fact the Bubonic Plague was seen in Europe before the 14th century prove the Kaffa->Genoa transmission of The Black Plague is wrong?

:confused: Since I am not intending to start any debate about which theory is the right one, and I haven't in any way expressed any preference for any of the three theories mentioned(even if I find pre- or postcolumbian a bit more plausible), I fail to see the relevance of this.
I just asked out of intellectual curiousity, I lecture on early modern history and such topics interest me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom