1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New DLC on December 16

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Supr49er, Dec 9, 2010.

1. CyberTyrant

CyberTyrant Emperor

Pretty much.

No reason this couldn't have been in the game from the start. Had they just created it, then fine. But withholding original content just to release it later and make a few bucks... no thanks. Homie don't play that.

2. aguds

aguds Warlord

If you wait until the first expansion, you'll probably get this and a few more upcoming DLC's for free. And there are a lot of civs in the mod-section aswell, so these DLC's are so bloody pointless.

3. SerriaFox

SerriaFox King

DLC = No buy DLC or Civ VI

4. CivFanaticMan

CivFanaticMan Warlord

People please don't by DLC. A modder could make this DLC free. All your paying for is the extra polish (if there is any).

5. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

No modder can create as pretty of leaderheads for the Civs, and that's why I'll buy the DLC. I don't care how you guys spend your money, don't tell me how to spend mine. I'll get enjoyment out of the few dollars for it, so it's worth it for me. Plus, I believe Firaxis is a good company and I want to support them.

6. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Super Moderator Supporter

Would not bet on that ;).

I still think this here is a real nice work-in-progress model:

I really hope the guy will finish it.

7. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Chieftain

Meh... i dont see the point in making DLC with more civs if they dont fix the core game, i trying har to like this game, but well i suppose vanilla Civ4 was the same mess (only played after BtS).

and the other hand i see the point very very well: CASHCOWS, i saddens my heart that one of my favorite developers had become so offensive with their fanbase.

CIV IS FOR THE HARDCORE NOT FACEBOOK!!!! :mad:

PD: As always, excuse my english..

8. lolno

lolno Warlord

That implies anything is "cooked right in the first place". Cooking a burger is easier than programming a mod that adds two civs even if you subtract materials cost.

So the question is do you want to spend time, and fuel, and money to get a burger and turn yourself into a greasy fatty or do you want to buy two DLCs that took many work hours to create. Maybe neither :p

Noctural
    They are releasing a patch. The people who patch probably aren't the same people who make DLC.

Games are dirt cheap compared to almost anything else. Around where I live you can get a tiny glass of wine and it costs $15. Movie tickets are $9-13. I've even seen medium fountain sodas for $7.50 at concerts.

CivFanaticFan
    Then you are exploiting that guy's labor :p

9. No_such_reality

No_such_reality Chieftain

Aren't DLCs just basically mini-expansion packs? Wasn't Civ4 Warlords really just a glossed up DLC?

Warlords added many new features to the original game. These include:
    • A new category of Great People known as "Great Generals";
    • The ability to institute vassal states;
    • Eight new scenarios[2]
    • Six new civilizations playable in single-player and multiplayer;
    • Ten new leaders (including new leaders for existing civilizations);
    • Three new leader traits (Charismatic, Protective and Imperialistic);
    • Unique buildings for each civilization;
    • Three new wonders;
    • New units, resources, and improvements;
    • Core gameplay tweaks and additions;
    • Inclusion of all patches released for original Civilization IV.

New leaders, check. New Civs, check. Scenarios, check. New buildings? - check - that's just a patch now. Vassal states - diplomacy tweaks, check. New wonders - patch. New units - check. Resources and improvements - mods/patch check.

What's left, a new game unit (Great General) and additional leader traits (flavors).

Maybe that'll be DLC in the future. Would additional Social Policy trees be expansion pack or DLC?

How much did we pay for Warlords when it came out?

10. 501st Legion

501st Legion Warlord

Just for the sake of not cheating those who bought the D2D version, I hope this is the last paid DLC for Civ V... if it won't be then it would really show what are 2K and Firaxis' real priorities... money grabbing/nickle and dimming us before fixing stuff.

Great stuff dude.

11. lolno

lolno Warlord

see above.

I'm amazed that people who will pay $5.00 for crap coffee or a fountain soda that costs all of one half a cent to make are complaining about pricing. You don't have to buy it. None of this was being unfairly withheld from you at vanilla release. Prices will probably drop later as well, as those who didn't mind paying for the DLC will subsidize you.

Maybe we need an in-depth discussion on how the video/pc game industry operates, their profit margins and wages.

12. ThERat

ThERat Deity

2k's skin is so thick, I cannot believe it. But, as we can see from many people here, they would buy any stuff they churn out to make more money.

Getting more Civ's done does not only require artwork, folks. What about play testing and balancing? Introducing new civs with new UU's and special abilities does require some testing (well, it seems they never tested Civ 5 properly anyway, so I guess there is no need to do it for 2 more Civs).

They are very clever though, releasing the new patch which surely results in 'yeah yeah yeah, the great is so great I can't believe it' hype followed by immediate DLC purchases or so 2k hopes. Smart marketing and it does seem to work.

Civ 5 is getting more and more shameless in my eyes.

13. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

I'll pass and wait until they become available in an expansion pack. Too much to pay for a couple of low-level civs.

14. lolno

lolno Warlord

Some guy who probably buys overpriced coffee/food/energy telling everyone else they're gullible, that's interesting for sure

15. MAntoninus

MAntoninus Chieftain

Quick synopsis - You get the civs and a scenario where the Western powers starting in their ports head off to get riches in the East, and *maybe* encounter a new world, at which point the cooperation or conflict between the indigenous nations and the Euroinvaders determines who rules the new world.

Sounds kind of fun actually, it'll be interesting to see what the scenario victory conditions entail.

16. Civsassin

Civsassin Immortal

Thanks for the recap. Is there any info out there concerning UUs, UBs, and passive traits?

17. glaivemaster

glaivemaster Prince

That doesn't look like the sort of symbol they usually use for buildings - it looks like the one they use for improvements. Maybe I'm hopeful, but I think we're going to see something new here

18. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Well, we have no idea when they created the artwork. Odds are they laid some of the groundwork ahead of time (they mentioned Quechua way back when), but they might have delayed the art work for after the game was released so they could work on other things. DLC makes sense to me. It allows them to constantly fund the patching process so they don't have to lay people off. Plus, it allows fans to pick and choose which ones they want, instead of getting everything.

19. Surgeon

Surgeon Warlord

anyone would think the Civ devs have a gun and are demanding your credit card details! Don't like, don't buy. Hardly the end of the world.

20. Fizpez2

Fizpez2 Chieftain

I'm really disappointed with how they're going about this - I don't mind $50 for a game (paid it already) and I don't mind $29 expansions that really add serious changes and gameplay elements. This stinks to high hell of a decision to pull pieces from the game which should have been there all along.

And just so my bona fides are not in doubt, I've played computer games since there were computers to play them on. Star Trek on a friend's father's home computer off of 8" floppy disks, Wizardry on a green screen Apple, more Commodore 64 games than I'd care to think about including the cheapass ones you had to type into BASIC out of a magazine. I build my own computers to play games now.

Civ 5 games currently end with a static image for cripes sake - all thats missing is an 8-bit "doop-de-doo!" sound and I could almost imagine its 25 years ago -except back then they didnt rip chunks out of a game and try to sell them to you every 7 days as some sort of add-on for which you should be grateful.