New DLC: Polynesia

Sorry to interrupt again, but when is the release date for this DLC? It says "friday the third" on this thread, but my calendar says that the third is a thursday. So did they mean Friday the fourth? Or did they mean Thursday the third?
it's thursday
Okay, reality check... this has been discussed extensively HERE for at least years ever since Civ3.
Good luck if you want to keep up with Fanatics such as the core base membership.

crushing my self-esteem fun for ya?

jk;)

Sorry to interrupt again, but when is the release date for this DLC? It says "friday the third" on this thread, but my calendar says that the third is a thursday. So did they mean Friday the fourth? Or did they mean Thursday the third?

:D March DLC Notes - stop - ETA to be confirmed - stop - this month seems to have 31 days in total - stop - please acknowledge before 5:00PM/EST today - stop - Best regards. - from 2KGreg eMailed answer to Firaxis devs on Sunday early afternoon.

Source to be verified. Stop.

What makes you think they can't make a two-story house? Also, what makes that the fundamental characteristic of civilization? I am confused doubly. :crazyeye:

I don't think they could rule the world, I don't think they have any wonders credited to them, and I don't think they advanced us in any way.
They were practically Neolithic.

I don't think they could rule the world, I don't think they have any wonders credited to them, and I don't think they advanced us in any way.

Do the Iroquoi have any wonders attributed to them? Did the Siamese advance us in any way? Could India rule the world?

Now that's settled, I suggest you stop badmouthing Polynesia, unless you want half a dozen men with Taiaha and massive clubs having a "talk" with you

Also, are the Moai not counted as wonders?

Doesn't matter.

Apaches would have swooped over the best Cavalries of the White Men in the Arizona desert if only to save Buffalos from extinction if it weren't for Aztecs being too far south to match the multi-front invasion by at least 3 European countries.
Totem *IS* a more of a Wonder than a symbol.
Cuz, to them Nature was God.

Cool, we get a blue civ accented with green (or something like that), and more unique units, buildings and traits. Who cares whom they represent in real life. Simply more variety in a game is good.

I think they're wondrous.

Although, this new addition greatly obfuscates Firaxis' criteria for including new civs. That's something I've grilled 2kgreg about many a time (and is good part of the reason for my current ban).

Is asking whether your neighbors can be included as a civ really trolling?
I'm asking about your criterion for which new civs you'd bring in. Would my neighbors be viable as a new civ? Atlantis, perhaps? Brobdingnag? Lilliput? Laputa?
I think my neighbor's unique power would be to keep other civs up all night with their constant bickering about what I can only hope isn't sex. For unique units, they can have dogs that go poo all over the yard, and occasionally kick up a dried one to other civs' doorstep. A good unique building would be a broken fence which noone asked for and is nearly impossible to be opened at night.

What do you think, 2KGreg? Would that be a good civ? Are they not significant enough? Do they lack a long history? Do they meet Firaxis' qualifications for civs to bring in the game?
Could my neighbors be a city-state?

Why are you asking Greg? He doesn't even work for Firaxis. That's just being needlessly antagonistic.

I think there are three criteria:
1. Historic Achievement
2. Geographic or Cultural Diversity
3. The Uniqueness of the Playing Experience

It's a balancing of all three factors. Certainly 2 and 3 are strong cases for Polynesians and I think there is at least some case made for the first point, when you consider the Austronesian expansion and the Moai Statues (with the Tonga Empire getting some points for being a fairly unique empire, even if empire might be a bit of an imprecise term in their case).

I was askin greg to ask firaxis

I assumed he'd take it in the same stride as my other post
Can you at least tell us some of what isn't coming?

For example, I would suggest that Civ 5's next expansion make coffee. Could you tell me whether that's possible?

Could you say things like "No, there is no way we can code the Civ 5 engine to make coffee. That isn't physically possible. Where would we get the beans? Maybe if we set the fan to grind them, then we could use the heat to- No. Stop making threads about it."

That would be really nice.
to which he played along and answered
Well, even though we have poured months of R&D in to it and gotten very close on 2 occasions, I can now say with confidence that we will not be releasing an expansion that will grind coffee beans for you. It's possible that it may be able to make you a cafe latte, but you will need to provide the pre-ground beans yourself. More details will not be posted later.

But in all seriousness, I can't really think of any common request that is completely off the table as far as possibilities go. Allowing more than 1 military unit per tile, for example, is very unlikely but I wouldn't go so far as to say "we will never, ever do this."

I think the coffee post is far more collegial and gives him an opportunity to make a joke (it also didn't require him to ask Firaxis). Criteria for Civs have always been nebulous and the tone you used with the neighbor thing isn't close to the same tone.

Now I don't think you should have been banned, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect an answer considering it's basically a judgment call on the part of Firaxis and has been ever since PTW.

I think the coffee post is far more collegial and gives him an opportunity to make a joke (it also didn't require him to ask Firaxis). Criteria for Civs have always been nebulous and the tone you used with the neighbor thing isn't close to the same tone.

Now I don't think you should have been banned, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect an answer considering it's basically a judgment call on the part of Firaxis and has been ever since PTW.

oh that was just a single infraction leading to the ban.

This, you gotta see to believe it!

Attachments

• _137_(This isn't Kansas).jpg
    _137_(This isn't Kansas).jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 618
  • Polynesia_DLC Steam_Achievements_Icons.zip
    28.9 KB · Views: 118
This sounds like a really good scenario and a unique civilization that is Oceanic is one of the best things the Civ V team is doing for the seriers. To bad there are so many ignorent people who only want european civs in the game.

Apparently every gaming news outlet has been butchering this announcement to hell. From what I can tell from the Destructoid article,the moai statues are only wonders in the scenario, while they're the unique building/improvement in the main game.

Hopefully that makes a bit more sense.

Firaxis is going for more obscure civs and leaders in general for Civ V. The brought in Siam and Oda Nobunaga, not to mention Askia of Songhai. They're hoping that people will read up on history's less well-known characters and nations. Why not add Polynesia? They were a very strong group of people (more a group of unassociated tribes, but we have Greece, right?), and did things that Europeans could only dream of at the time they did them.

Also, going back to the "fail civs" post, the Inca invented zero, a vital compenent in mathematics, and the Celts were never conquered- not even by the British or the Romans. Only Germany shares this distinction, and even they lost a war.

Oh, the bickering.. it's honestly just silly.

The 'civs' included in the game have never even had to be coherent entities under a single individual or assembly's rule - there have always been examples of what could be better defined as ethnic groups present: witness the celts, the greece, the native americans, etc. Under that definition of includable civ - a culturally unified ethnic group, the polynesians are fine. If you picture the leader as a kind of unifying spirit instead of a literal immortal monarch, it's even easier to swallow.

They're a fascinating culture. With it looks like a very flavorful, unique in-game feel. And cheapish, to boot, as DLC. Good!

Friday the 3rd... of June.

So many erections right now.

And "fail civ" not important to history?

Polynesian territory. That makes Russia look small.

One of the most interesting expansions in human history imo. Hopefully some will start in that area, when playing them.
Gladly looking forward to a Maori/peninsula-game at marathon and the soldiers look really cool btw.

PS.: Just have a problem here with this "embarking thing". The most important progresses in technology were made with boats for some thousand years, but there won't be any boats. Also the decision tree that lead to canibalism won't most probably be simulated, and so I'll still get no chance to eat the rich. :)

Top Bottom