New DLC: Polynesia

Based on the screenshots from the scenario description I'm inclined to doubt that the Maori is a Warrior replacement as the screen shows a generic warrior in the screen.

the moai statues are only wonders in the scenario, while they're the unique building/improvement in the main game

Hi guys,
I need some tips about what I have to do now with my custom Moai wonder. Remove it? Let it for not-DLC-owner? Modify its effect like the 2K one?

If you have an idea, please let a comment HERE

Thanks
Spoiler :

I actually really like the direction of unique improvements, though they will make balancing twice as hard on modders. I also hope the finally let us mod in graphics for landmarks and improvements. I am guessing they will probably hold off on civs like Vikings and carthage and Zulu for an expansion pack rather than dlc.

I hope they take some of that $4.99 I read that they are charging for this single civ DLC and for a civ that has water based advantages and actually figure out how to improve the AI in water games !!

I don't expect to be paying that much to get this civ, unless 1) the new patch makes this game better than I'd expect and 2) other players really like this new civ.

I hope they take some of that $4.99 I read that they are charging for this single civ DLC and for a civ that has water based advantages and actually figure out how to improve the AI in water games !!

I don't expect to be paying that much to get this civ, unless 1) the new patch makes this game better than I'd expect and 2) other players really like this new civ.

sir, I completely agree with your completely excellent post.

sending a single aircraft gun out to my continent the naval route (on a pangaea map, no less! i only play those because of the crap naval AI...) does not constitute a credible naval assault.

Apparently every gaming news outlet has been butchering this announcement to hell. From what I can tell from the Destructoid article,the moai statues are only wonders in the scenario, while they're the unique building/improvement in the main game.

Hopefully that makes a bit more sense.

You misunderstood my post. The person I was responding to said the Polynesians didn't build any wonders.

I`m still waiting for Macedonia and the Vikings :)
Zulus also are a must
Aborigines could be nice

If Spain/Inca+NWS & Patch v1141 were priced at 4.99$ how could they expect us to spend the same amount on a single CIV_Scenario_Patch combo without feeling somehow milked out of money for less.
Yep, i believe (or rather tolerate the Economic principles up to a certain limit, btw) in Inflationary tactics of the whole Capitalism agenda but when it comes to fooling around with basic value for a rational cost against the means of all consumers to afford it, that's where i get off the band-wagon.
It's abusive, aims to create yet another private club of privileged middle-class spenders and (again) sucks out more profits from all.

Oh, but *I* can afford the Polynesia DLC but remember these words - the market of nerd-hard-core gamers is eroding for a simple reason; we're smart enough to retaliate at any Corporations that steal from us - including Steam driven billionaires.

I'll give an estimate, WoW gimmick would shut down in a year or less since we can define our priorities, too.

Checked the price of a single liter of Milk lately?
1.75$ and counting.

Luxury or Food, the equation goes both ways.

The value of a DLC patch is the price people will pay for it. I could see the price point for this being $2.99 but I could also see it being higher.

No way I'm going to pay for Polynesia :) Even if that does mean I am West-centric and imperialistic. Just not interested. :)

If Spain/Inca+NWS & Patch v1141 were priced at 4.99$ how could they expect us to spend the same amount on a single CIV_Scenario_Patch combo without feeling somehow milked out of money for less.
Yep, i believe (or rather tolerate the Economic principles up to a certain limit, btw) in Inflationary tactics of the whole Capitalism agenda but when it comes to fooling around with basic value for a rational cost against the means of all consumers to afford it, that's where i get off the band-wagon.
It's abusive, aims to create yet another private club of privileged middle-class spenders and (again) sucks out more profits from all.

Oh, but *I* can afford the Polynesia DLC but remember these words - the market of nerd-hard-core gamers is eroding for a simple reason; we're smart enough to retaliate at any Corporations that steal from us - including Steam driven billionaires.

I'll give an estimate, WoW gimmick would shut down in a year or less since we can define our priorities, too.

Checked the price of a single liter of Milk lately?
1.75$ and counting.

Luxury or Food, the equation goes both ways.

on the subject of posts that don't contribute to the thread and interrupt its flow...

Moderator Action: Personal jabs such as this are uncalled for.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

anyways, I'm glad they're doing polynesia. It's new, it's fresh, it's exciting and different.
And it counteracts britain's dominance naval-wise.

but i won't see that in SP...

I will buy this if, after playing the patch, I feel that the game plays smoother and has a better balance. I said I would buy DLC and expansions if they showed a commitment to improving and refining the core game and making it what Civ V should be. This last patch looks like it should really improve the builder aspects of the early game and extend the life of later units and buildings, which is really my biggest gripe (and the turn time issue). If they have done this I will be pleased and show support with my dollars.

But I'm not going to just by the new pretty toy, unless I think I'm investing in my game.

The value of a DLC patch is the price people will pay for it. I could see the price point for this being $2.99 but I could also see it being higher.
Considering it has three maps more (Skirmish, Rings, MP only???), i dunno... there's only one way to find out; pay and shut up!
I'll swallow it nevertheless.
This summer's Vikings (in theory) might get as high as 7.99$, right or wrong?
It's sooooo hard to estimate value but since i've always been a gambler at heart -- i'll stack up the doe, *FOR* Firaxis devs & staffs - they really deserve it.

I will be interested in seeing their Start Bias. Will it be simply “coastline” or will it be “islands” specifically? This could make things interesting. Even Pangea maps have an island or two on them. Having all the civs start on one giant continent with one on an island could be quite intriguing.

The new map types for MP doesn't seem to be that exciting (they are out now with this patch), I want highlands and great plains and more or less all normal maps in MP, cant really see a reason not to have them. Perhaps in a summerpatch...

I will be interested in seeing their Start Bias. Will it be simply “coastline” or will it be “islands” specifically? This could make things interesting. Even Pangea maps have an island or two on them. Having all the civs start on one giant continent with one on an island could be quite intriguing.

That would be quite powerful. Add to the fact that they can get a combat bonus for naval units near their unique improvement and they'd be hard to beat in a domination game.

I can't believe it. I was hoping, expecting Carthage, Celts, or Vikings would be the next civs. I was excited. Today I went to check is the new patch was out and I see Polynesia. Sure the Polynesians had their great culture of their own and they are important, but being a civ is way off. It doesnt make sense. I do not approve

Sure the Polynesians had their great culture of their own and they are important, but being a civ is way off. It doesnt make sense. I do not approve
Jared Diamond's Collapse has an interesting account of Polynesian civilization (and collapse, in some cases).

I visited the Big Island of Hawai'i a few months ago - pretty impressive that the island was colonized so long ago. And the Polynesians/Hawai'ians are still around.

Wasn't Alexander a Macedonian? If so, there won't be a Macedonia.

Can you please explain how do you define the term "Macedonian"?

Now to stay on topic, I think Polynesia will make a nice addition to Civ5, because more civs means more options and diversity.

Top Bottom