New First Look Video: Builders

Also what is with the shipwheel icon on Swenett.

Does it mean it's a coastal city or it does have other importance as well?

I'm very curious about this.

Buddhist religion.

Which Civic is the inspiration from building a maritime improvement for?

Which Civic is the inspiration from building a maritime improvement for?

The civic isn't specifically for naval improvement, rather for building 3 improvements in total.

It is written under the civic icon which is researched.

Edit: ninjaed

Other goodies I noticed:

- Hippodrome (?) in entertainment district ~1:44

- Builders replace Civ5 work-boats

- Pottery tech

- Craftmanship - improve 3 tiles

- Shipbuilding - own 2 galleys

- Drama & Poetry - build a wonder

But wait, then does this mean that we no longer can simply cut down wood for an instant production boost like we did in Civ V? Woods can be turned into lumber mills, but based on this new builder charge system it seems like simple work like cutting down forests/jungles no longer will be a thing.

If that is the case, what about repairing pillaged improvements or districts? Would those require charges to be done as well?

I noticed that too. It also has another empty slot next to the wheel, and all cities seem to have one empty slot. No such ship wheel exists on any other coastal city we've seen, so I'm wondering if we just haven't seen this yet because of the early state of the game. Might need a few more videos to see if the ship wheel is something special, or just has just been left out until now.

Buddhist religion.

Oh. Nevermind then.

On time stamp 0:22 of the video, the military district not only has a stable instead of the barracks, but also seems to have a shooting range for archers (never think I saw that building before). Could it be that it's a ranged-unit specific building, or is it just something aesthetic?

There's also a scythe-on-wheat button that looks like some sort of harvest mechanic. I remember someone a while back suggested that some crop resources (rice, wheat, etc) should be able to be moved through harvesting or whatnot. Could this be a sign that there actually will be such mechanic in the game?

Tuesdays for new civs, Thursdays for mechanics. I'm liking this.

I suspected that was the case. We've not seen Work Boats in the build list. It's even more reason to never found a city directly on the coast.

Getting a Navy up and running before teching harbors

Sea trade routes have always had better yields, especially if you want to connect food to a second city

Tourism boosts were given to the asthetic appeal of adjacent tiles if I remember correctly, for example beaches and views the city offers

Potential wonders may have rules based on city location

Second place to spawn navy if they pillage the harbor

Resources like Oil may only be available in deep ocean tile

The only advantages I can think of for the Inland city are
Increased production on non coastal tile
Protection from sea invasion
More workable tiles.

But I can counter 2 of those 3 with new game functions in Civ. Adjacent tile bonuses for things like farms means you don't need as many workable tiles

The harbor may be placed in a defensible spot. When an enemy invades they have to make sure to pillage that spot first. You can place naval units their and allow the city to bombard the force unhindered. You can take out a couple ships while they fight to pillage the harbor.

If they ignore the harbor and go straight for the city center. You might be able to spawn naval units to the rear of the invasion force, instead of being stuck in the city and not being able to build more than one.

Further you may build a military encampment on the coast as well. That means 2 places in the city bombarding your bay, naval units spawning from the harbor on top of any archery units you have nearby.

I think, there's still ample reason to build coastal.

Tuesdays for new civs, Thursdays for mechanics. I'm liking this.

I'm having a blast.

Great Job Firaxis, hats off to the PR team.

Remember to always include some hidden detail that we can overanalyze and speculate about. :nya:

The only advantages I see with building a coastal city are:
- If you want to be able to build naval units without first building a harbor district.
- If there are sea resources that can only be improved by a coastal city (ie they would outside the range of a city one tile inland). Coastal cities could improve sea resources sooner since their borders would encompass the resource sooner. The player would not need to wait for borders to expand or buy tiles as much to reach the sea resource.

Well coastal cites would have fewer tiles to attack from on land.

Imagine a coastal capital with 2 coastal borders and an encampment coming out the opposite side. Good luck attacking that without boats.

Then it also slows down your naval tech as you have to wait to culture grab sea tiles and you miss the coastal city Eurekas.
---

Back to builders. Do you think the Ancient era will have a lot of time waiting around for tech so your Builders can build wait you want? Sitting on those builder's 2 charges until you finish Mining.

Can we actually be sure it was bananas on a jungle tile? Maybe they were just "plain" bananas. :p

I wouldn't say that we can be certain, but it sure looks like the other jungle tiles in the video before the Plantation, and it stops looking at all like the other jungle tiles post-Plantation.

Top Bottom