New Installer (I need testers)

Thanks guys, this is exactly the feedback I needed. I'll be using this installer for the next version of FfH.

Sorry guys, I would say it if I knew it. But 0.33 is still a work in progress.

Historically we run 8-12 weeks between versions, which would put us sometime in August.

Sorry guys, I would say it if I knew it. But 0.33 is still a work in progress.

Historically we run 8-12 weeks between versions, which would put us sometime in August.

how do you judge when a version is ready for release?

how do you judge when a version is ready for release?

Thats a good question. From my perspective I run in 2 cycles, development and support. When Im in development Im working with the team, adding features, trying new stuff, etc. When Im doing support Im working on patches, troubleshooting crashes and generally fixing stuff.

I stay in development until I feel like there is so much new stuff in that I need to release to get playtest feedback ont he changes before adding more, and I need to have it tested for bugs before I make it any more complex. Thats when I release a new version and drop into support mode.

Support mode usually lasts for about 2 weeks as I focus on bug fixes and patches rather than new code. there isnt really any development done during this time, and I cant make any significant changes (or rather i could but working on 2 codebases would be confusing for me and result in even more errors).

After we have a reasonably stable patch I switch back into development mode and start working on the next major version.

Just finished testing, same thing occured with this computer as the other one. Correctly detected the steam install on D drive, shortcut created on desktop but it loads up BTS with an "Mods \Assimiliaton" error.

Bad news...my FFH directory is not "C:\WINDOWS\Mods" (It's currently C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2 032)

So, in order to determine the source of this discrepancy, can you tell us how exactly the installer determine the install location - does it check for a couple registry entries or a certain directory or what?

And, why exactly does this directory not only exist, but contain all the default BtS mods? WHy are there a ton of BtS files in my windows folder... What was WRONG with the patch 3.17 installer? (I might've typo'd something when I manually repaired my BtS install using old registry files :()

Edit: I checked, and surely enough the patch changed my installdir key to C:\Windows, I fixed it and the installer works great.

(for the curios, I accidentally moved my bts Assets folder into the Mods folder yesterday, experienced a crash and tried reinstalling the patch-which must have went a little haywire due to the missing assets folder)

Just another "works perfectly"-reply here. Vista, Civ4 on E, everything works.

Good thing, the installer was a large caveat for people who installed Civ to another location and didn't pay attention where FfH installed itself ;)

Bad news...my FFH directory is not "C:\WINDOWS\Mods" (It's currently C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2 032)

So, in order to determine the source of this discrepancy, can you tell us how exactly the installer determine the install location - does it check for a couple registry entries or a certain directory or what?

And, why exactly does this directory not only exist, but contain all the default BtS mods? WHy are there a ton of BtS files in my windows folder... What was WRONG with the patch 3.17 installer? (I might've typo'd something when I manually repaired my BtS install using old registry files :()

Edit: I checked, and surely enough the patch changed my installdir key to C:\Windows, I fixed it and the installer works great.

(for the curios, I accidentally moved my bts Assets folder into the Mods folder yesterday, experienced a crash and tried reinstalling the patch-which must have went a little haywire due to the missing assets folder)

Weird. The installer script reads the location of the mods directory from the registry. If it doesn't work, then exactly as you found, your install location is probably broke.

Win XP with CIV BtS on H: drive, install perfectly. Now I'm going to test Assimilation :)

I also wanted to say that it correctly requested admin rights, and I didn't get a "this program may not have installed correctly" prompt.

Top Bottom