New Lord of the Rings scenario: "Moria"

Originally posted by Apollo
So I take it no one else is having the same problem as me. Is a window supposed to come up when you double-click the batch file, and that's where you type the chapter number (1, 2, or 3)? For me a window comes up for a split second and then disappears.

What version of windows are you using? I remember over at Apolyton, batch files don't work under Windows XP and 2000, but there is a trick, but I forget.

Originally posted by The ANZAC

What version of windows are you using? I remember over at Apolyton, batch files don't work under Windows XP and 2000, but there is a trick, but I forget.

I am using Win2k and that batch file works fine. :)

Apollo, you may want to run the DOS Promt first then use it to open the batch file. Sometimes this can make a difference. Some DOS commands you need to know are

cd FolderName (for changing directiory)
C: (for changing drive letter, D: if the batch file is on D drive)
dir (list files in the curent directory)

To run the batch file, just go to the directory containing the batch file and type the file name (including file extension)

Hope this helps...

Is this for ToT or MGE? PLEASE SAY MGE!!!!!!!

Originally posted by SunTzu
Is this for ToT or MGE? PLEASE SAY MGE!!!!!!!

It's FW/MGE

I tried running it through the command prompt, and the same thing happened where the window just flashed on for a split second and then disappeared. I can see that it's the right window flashing up because it looks like there is a list with three options. And I'm using W2k Professional.

The ANZAC, is that trick for running batch files in W2k told over at Apolyton somewhere? Of course if this works on W2k for TF then I don't know what's going on. I'll do a search on google and see what that brings up.

The only thing I found from a Google search that sounded right was to go into the properties of _default.bat in the WINNT folder, go to Program and uncheck "close on exit", but this didn't affect the Moria.bat. :(

I also downloaded The Odyssey and its .bat file doesn't work either, so it's not limited to this particular .bat file.

Forget about that BAT file, Apollo. You can do it manually easily:

Some of the key lines in the BAT file:
Code:
:One
echo.
echo Part 1
copy events1.txt events.txt
copy rules1.txt rules.txt
DELEVENT Moria1.sav
goto done

:Two
echo.
echo Part 2
copy events2.txt events.txt
copy rules2.txt rules.txt
DELEVENT Moria1.sav
goto done

:Three
echo.
echo Part 3
copy events3.txt events.txt
copy rules3.txt rules.txt
DELEVENT Moria1.sav
goto done

So to play part 1 you just need to make a copy of events1.txt and rename it to events.txt , and make a copy of rules1.txt and rename it to rules.txt. Use the same procedure for other parts when u are done with part 1...

In XP,dos has been reduced to a shell.In order to get .bat files to work for xp is to place the choice command in the same folder with the .bat

I'll attach one here

Hey FF!

Thanks for the extra screen shots...I have to say...I feel like stuttering...

Good job...:goodjob:

At this rate...I'll never get any sleep...I suppose I will join the sleepless here in the forum...Many thanks FF for this positively super scenario!

John

P.S. Apollo, sorry to hear about the computer...:mad:

Thanks TF! That did the trick. :goodjob: I had looked at the contents of the .bat file but didn't understand that those commands just changed which text files for the program to look at. Pretty simple :blush:

Except now it's after 2AM...on a weeknight... :( Oh well, just one more turn ;)

FF, have you made any other scenarios?

If not, this is probably the best first scenario ever :king:

The graphics are beautifully done.

I find it very hard to beleive this is a first effort.If it is,I can't wait for the 2nd :D

who really is FF? ;)

Hey Guys,

You know I have to agree...

FF...let us know more...this is an excellent scenario, one of the best I have ever played...and I'm a picky guy. I'd like to see any other scenarios that you have or are working on...or plan to work on...LOL!

You're a hit in the Scenario Creation forum
:D

And if I don't sleep tonight...I'm going to be dead tomorrow...I have to go to school tonight too...:cry:

Back to playing Moria...

John

Originally posted by Smash
The graphics are beautifully done.

I find it very hard to beleive this is a first effort.If it is,I can't wait for the 2nd :D

who really is FF? ;)

FF is the initial of the author's nickname, Favored Flight.

I can't believe Smash is playing scenarios! What is this world coming to!? :D

I finally managed to complete it, on my fifth attempt, and two veerryy late nights ! That 'lava' section sure is the hardest part, but I won't drop any clues...

At the first attempt I just ran out of time, second and third times I ran out of picks, and the fourth time I lost everyone except Gandalf (which was kinda weird) and then ran out of time.

Originally posted by Case
FF, have you made any other scenarios? If not, this is probably the best first scenario ever :king:

Absolutely, I agree wholeheartedly... :goodjob: ! I feel the need for a 'Best First Scenario' nomination if this is FF's first, and if there is such a category ?

Attachments

• dimrill%20dale.gif
    dimrill%20dale.gif
    26.6 KB · Views: 219
I can't believe Smash is playing scenarios! What is this world coming to!?

Huh?..I luv scenarios.Right now I'm playing Spartacus,Imperium Romanum,Artaxerves and a few turns of Second Front all at the same time.This one is next after I learn a little more about the subject.

I just wonder if Favored Fight is a psuedo for someone we allready know.I've only glanced at it,but it looks very polished.Hardly something that would be the result of a first effort......this looks like a very experienced designer.

Actually,

If there was such a category as "best first" scenario...I'm not sure how that can be verified. I'll have to think about that. Then again, I am getting the feeling that a nomination for SHOF is lingering out there somewhere...

Hopefully, FF will post soon to answer our questions...

:crazyeye:

John

Warning! Don't read this if you haven't played the second part of the scenario yet!

I was wondering if the key that is obtained after defeating the giant spider near the beginning of the second part is supposed to appear way back at the beginning? For me it appeared in the spot that the very first key appears rather than next to the chest that it came from, and this has slowed me down considerably moving it up to the door it is for.

Edit: Hmm, and now when I touch the book lying in the chamber with the anvil no message appears. Is this correct? I changed the "events" and "rules" texts so they would be right for the second part. Do I also need to do something with that Delevent application, since it too is mentioned in the batch file?

Originally posted by Apollo
Do I also need to do something with that Delevent application, since it too is mentioned in the batch file?

Yeah, when you change events you need to drag your save game (ie Moria1) onto delevent.exe so that it can 'strip' the old events from it. I guess that you'll have to do this and restart part two again :(

Top Bottom