New Lord of the Rings scenario: "Moria"

Originally posted by Leowind

I had a pick left over which I used on the final different colored blocker. I wondered why I got that wierd message about Gollum getting us out but having to go lick his wounds when he was perfectly fine :lol: He was standing right next to the blocker at the time, if that makes any difference.
Ah! That's how you did it... I have to admit I never considered that someone would hang on to a pick for so long! I left a spare pick lying around so that players had the opportunity to dscover the hidden Mithril vein. I take it then that you never found 'true silver'?

Originally posted by Mercator
Absolutely stunning! :goodjob:

I love how you've used the graphics to the max!
Now my only hope is you're planning to turn the whole LOTR into a series of scenarios as good as this one (not necessarily all as quest type scenarios). :cool:

I've played it once so far, finishing somewhere around hour 230, only losing Aragorn. The units are really well-balanced against the opponents. Cave-trolls and the Balrog are a perfect match for Aragorn/Gandalf.
A few comments... I found the Naugdir, but lost it almost immediately after because I accidentally ran it into a dead dwarf body (I think), is there anything you can do about that?
Even though I love every bit of it, I think the atmosphere is still a bit lacking. I think adding some (random-played) creepy background music/noises would be nice (a la Eldorado).

By the way, the title pic is drawn by John Howe (a rather well-known Tolkien illustrator).

Finally, I'm probably going to add it to my site too, if you don't mind:
http://www.civgaming.net/mercator
Thanks. Well, I am considering another LotR scenario at the moment. Not sure if it will be on the same scale as Moria. Maybe smaller... maybe bigger. I'm just at the planning stage.
Ah, those dead Dwarves! I removed more and more of them over the course of playtesting. They're down to a minimum now and shouldn't really be in the path of wandering keys or the Naugdir. As it stands, all I can say is, "be more careful" :p
But, I'll take your point into consideration when I update to v1.2
I also take your point about atmosphere and will take that into consideration for the update. However, in my defence the event files are packed out to bursting.
By all means, of course you can add the scenario to your site! I'll head over a take a peek too. Thanks!

Originally posted by FavouredFlight

Ah! That's how you did it... I have to admit I never considered that someone would hang on to a pick for so long! I left a spare pick lying around so that players had the opportunity to dscover the hidden Mithril vein. I take it then that you never found 'true silver'?

I was just trying to get out!! Who has time to wander around looking for mithril ;) I'm hoping my current game I can focus on getting everybody out and getting out in time. I was thinking about after this game playing one where I explore every nook and cranny just to see what's there. Now I have more motivation :)

Actually I am finding the dead bodies helpful in some situations. the bad guys won't attack them to clear them out of the way, so they can be useful blocks at times. They'r also handy at the beginning to have the hobbits attack them and earn themselves veteran status. Same with cobwebs and doors.

Don't know if this is the proper place to continue discussing the actual playing of this scenario, but mods please move this post if not.

Third time through finished chapter 1 in 29 hours, chapter 2 at 93 hours, and finished the scenario at hour 116 (hour 118 to get everyone physically out the door), still had everybody intact (except Gollum-no extra pick this time :( ) Wondered if anybody had done better?

I'm playing a fourth time just to explore every bit of the map and see what surprises I've missed :)

BTW, I've experimented and it is possible to lose a completely rested Aragorn attacking a Cave Troll, so my advice would be to use Gandalf only for such work.

Seeing how so many people enjoyed Moria, I decided to create a sequel. It carries on from where Moria left off, with the Fellowship standing in Dimrill Dale, having just escaped the mines. Goblins and orcs are hard on their heels and the party must make for the safety of Lorien (...but then again, you may have other ideas?).

I'm about to start a new thread in the general discussions area (look for one called - New L.o.t.R scenario: 'The Return of the King'). I'll be explaining a little about the scenario and posting a couple of preview screenshots too.

Very cool :cool: I can't wait to to play it. Of course, I'm heading off on vacation tomorrow, so guess it will have to wait. Also need to finish my current game (Prince of Darkness scenario. also very good scenario)

Its bad enough that I had to give up the Moria sction of my LOTR series but now you are going to scupper other sections of my scenario series. Oh well, yours would probably be better anyway...

Im looking forward to your nest one though.

Originally posted by anarchywrksbest
Its bad enough that I had to give up the Moria sction of my LOTR series but now you are going to scupper other sections of my scenario series. Oh well, yours would probably be better anyway...

Im looking forward to your nest one though.

Thanks for the compliment but don't look at it like I'm scuppering you anarchywrksbest. Stick at it. I can see potential in your Shire scenario (and I really liked the bridge graphics), so I hope you finish it.
Also, I seem to recall you writing that it only took you a couple of days to knock together. Wow! It took me three to four months to make Moria!
Lord of the Rings is great material to create scenarios from. Personally, I can't get enough of them and play them all. (I actually bought Civ2, in the first place, just so I could play Harlan Thompson's Lord of the Rings scenario! Prior to that, I'd never really been too bothered about civilization as a game. (Now, I think it's great!))
Anyway, keep at it, as far as I'm concerned there aren't enough Lord of the Rings scenarios. I look forward to playing the finished Shire and its sequels.
:beer:

"Moria" is SO cool!
I played it a few times, it's the best quest-like scenario I've ever played!:)
I'm really waiting to see the next one!

Wizard

Originally posted by FavouredFlight

See if I've got you named at the site by visiting...

http://www.favfly.fsworld.co.uk/index.html

(They should be up in the next day or two)
Hey, I'm on there ! :goodjob:

I like the website - and LOVE those screenshots of your new scenario... check out those mountains... I wonder what's this new gameplay innovation you hint at ?? Look forward to playing it !

Hey, I'm there too!:)

Gotta check those new screenshots...

Wizard

Wow! Stunning graphics! Those mountains are really HUGE! Can't wait to play it...

If you haven't been keeping an eye on the 'Return of the King' thread on the Civ2 General discussions forum, I thought I'd let you know that the sequel to Moria is now available.
I've submitted it to Thunderfall and hope that it gets included in the scenario list at this site. If you really want it now, you can. Just head over to my site and get it. Follow this link...
www.favfly.fsworld.co.uk/index.html

Top Bottom