New? Lost? Post here!

Am I correct in my assumption that as of now, no game has started, and we're working out the initial settings?

Yes

I'm assuming that whoever is considered the initial leader selects the Civ name and leader, and all that, but who controls the movement of the units and the founding of the cities?

Certainly the leader, not sure about name. the intial rulers control everything about the demogame

And we just role play around that as citizens?

What ever you want, in previous demogames we set up a mock eccomny and things like that. Once we get started you will begin to see how it works a lot better then.

(my first two weeks of the demogame consisted of making stupid suggestions and not having a clue, in fact that hasn't really changed :p so you are not alone! :))

What ever you want, in previous demogames we set up a mock eccomny and things like that. Once we get started you will begin to see how it works a lot better then.

(my first two weeks of the demogame consisted of making stupid suggestions and not having a clue, in fact that hasn't really changed :p so you are not alone! :))

Still sounds pretty BA.

BA? Bass Ackwards?

Well, basically, we should be electing our first prime faction soon? Then that first prime faction will start the game? However, I'm still unclear about the whole civilization choice and civ leader choice...I'm pretty sure that's set in stone after you start the game right?

That second paragraph should be all we have to work out to get started right???

'm pretty sure that's set in stone after you start the game right?

Yes of course, but we are still discussing the details, have a look in the poll sub fourm, we have polled (somme of them now closed) a lot of the options you get at the start of the game, and if there isn't a option that hasn't been polled, then raise the issue (post in the laws and regulation fourm.)

What is the difference between a guild and a faction?

Guilds are more like social organizations of like minded political medlers...areas where joaks are exchanged and lots of trash-talking occurs or areas where RP ensues they range from free-flowing to secret societies. However, the key difference is that they never get elected as a prime faction. You can also be in as many guilds as you want, but only one faction at a time.

What is the difference between a guild and a faction?

A faction is a body of people trying to get control of the government with their platform, a guild is a body of people trying to encourage social activities and factions to adpot certain policies.

A couple questions I'm having trouble finding the answers too....

When you join a faction, are you stuck in that faction for the remaining life of the game? In other words if the game goes to 2050 AD will I be in the faction for the entire time?

Why aren't there factions for the non-government civics? Why not a beauracratic faction, or an organized religion faction?

A couple questions I'm having trouble finding the answers too....

When you join a faction, are you stuck in that faction for the remaining life of the game? In other words if the game goes to 2050 AD will I be in the faction for the entire time?

Why aren't there factions for the non-government civics? Why not a beauracratic faction, or an organized religion faction?

As to the first question, I have been told that factions are expected to disolve and return under a new banner quite often as new government civics are researched. Which would free you I guess to move to a new faction, however, you cannot leave said faction until after their term is up, and you can only be in one faction at a time. (I'm sure some of the more wisened veterans can further clarify?)

As to the second question, I think that's more of what's in a given faction's platform, and additionally, the public decided to have "penalty" civics which a given government civic could not adopt, which lead to factions being centered around various government civics.

Right now, the only government civic available is Despotism.

I envision new factions down the road as new civics become available.

There are also guilds, who act like lobyists, as Croxis put it, to pursuade the factions in their choices, among which would be their factions platform on non-government factions.

Since my head is starting to hurt a bit, I'll leave that fertilizer on the ground, in hopes that someone plants better seeds than mine.

You are free to change factions at any time. However, you can only be in one faction at a time.

You could create an organized religion faction, but it still has to be tied to some sort of government. After all, you still need a way to run things, even if your main goal is to implement organized religion. We have 4 factions right now, each emphasizing different things, but all tied to despotism. No reason why those "different things" couldn't be other civics, we just don't have any yet :)

A faction devoted to an undiscovered government civic can be created, but it cannot become the Prime Faction until that government civic is available. To avoid the limitation of individuals belonging to only one faction, it might be easier to push for a new government civic via a guild, and then create a faction when it is available. That would also be a moment ripe for rebellion.

What is one of the first things a newbie should do? I apologise for such a silly question, but I enjoy roleplaying and I want to "get into the game". :p

Check out the factions and join one, or don't. We're really in the starting stages of the game, and are just about ready to start.

So if we don't want to join any faction, is there a true PUBLIC forum not tied to factions.

Where can I just wax philosophical on politics?

Maybe I care for none of these so-called rulers...where do I bring my grievances?

Questions, questions my friends, where are they answered?

Poverty's Pub is a good place for general discussion.

You're also welcome to start your own guild (which is really just a roleplaying discussion thread). The topic you suggest sounds fun, and may be a bit heavy for the pub's regulars. Though the food and drink there does lubricate discussion pretty well.

Poverty's Pub is a good place for general discussion.

You're also welcome to start your own guild (which is really just a roleplaying discussion thread). The topic you suggest sounds fun, and may be a bit heavy for the pub's regulars. Though the food and drink there does lubricate discussion pretty well.

If required to be serious I believe we can. Just mention that you want to be serious about what you are saying, and are not just messing around :D

Or start your own version for more serious talk, I'm sure you'll find some people interested ;)

Top Bottom