New to this...

Mozzington

Prince
Hello all.

I have just purchased this game. Tried to play it for the first time last night and it blew my mind. Only managed 15 minutes before I realised I hadn't a clue what I was doing.

Is there a link to some good strategy articles anywhere? Had a quick look to see if it had a Civ4 esque war academy but had no joy.

Many thanks.

Welcome to the CFC Alpha Centauri forum!

If you've played any other version of Civilization, then the basic concepts of Alpha Centauri are similar, but just with different terminology. For example, cities become bases, Wonders are called Secret Projects, and so on. As in other Civ games, you want to build some bases, explore the surrounding territory and build a military.

If you bought the game through GOG, you should have the official manual (manual.pdf) in the game folder. Other versions of the game may have that file on the installation disc.

The links in this post from another thread point to some guides. You also may find it useful to browse the posts on this forum (which go back more than ten years). For example, this thread contains some tips that you might find useful.

Feel free to post any other questions here.

Hello.

Thank's for that. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Yes, I started at Civ 3. Four is my favourite and five is just starting to tick some boxes in my opinion.

Big fan of MoO. Not so much GalCiv, keep trying to get into it but no. Too much cheese.

I hold my hands up ashamed. I didn't buy it from GoG as it was available on UK Amazon for less than Gog's price and included the AX expansion pack. No brainer?

I'm sure the disc version has the manual, just not a huge farm of reading e-manuals :scan:

I shall have a read through these articles and give the game a more in depth go and probably get back to you for further advice down the line.

Thanks again.

Had a quick look to see if it had a Civ4 esque war academy but had no joy.

The links in this post from another thread point to some guides.

Petek refers to this post:

There's a fair amount of information online:

Articles on various aspects of the game here.

This points to an old (html) version of the "SMAC Academy."

There is a new (wiki) version here that includes some additional articles.

I hold my hands up ashamed. I didn't buy it from GoG as it was available on UK Amazon for less than Gog's price and included the AX expansion pack. No brainer?

I'm sure the disc version has the manual, just not a huge farm of reading e-manuals :scan:

You shouldn't be ashamed. Getting the expansion is certainly worth buying used.

The manual for the expansion is on the disk.

I believe you can buy a used copy of the SMAC manual at Amazon. That manual is worth having as a hard copy.

This points to an old (html) version of the "SMAC Academy."

There is a new (wiki) version here that includes some additional articles.

Cool. I found the html version through a web search and never looked further. (I'm nearly as new to SMAC/SMAX as Mozzington.)

While we're talking about strategy articles/manuals, the Gamespot guide isn't a free download anymore, you have to join Gamespot (if they merely charged for it, I probably wouldn't hesitate). If I have what I've pointed to above, and both manuals, is Gamespot's guide worth the hassle of yet another paid membership?

I agree with vyeh. The Gamespot guide was probably written around the same time SMAC came out. Over the years strategy and tactics have been refined and improved. Much better information and advice is available here and elsewhere.

Thanks, I'll do that. I'm playing at too low a level now to have serious problems, but I keep moving up, and sooner or later I'll hit my trouble spot.

Top Bottom