I'm about to go to sleep. Zzzz....

I am envious :)

For various reasons, I'm one of the cursed few who never had a camping trip go well.
At best the embers burned holes in my camping chair when I got up to get something.

I kept the memories of the nice alcohol and warm fire.
And I reproduced the good sleep experience as best as possible with total darkness, low noise, and an open window for fresh air.
Those 3 things more important than I thought.

Have you considered adding a cat? One housecat is the equivalent of a blanket and the bonus is that they purr. I always sleep better when Maddy (or any of my previous cats) decided to snuggle with me.

I would not recommend a dog. They don't purr and some of them snore. There was a time when a family funeral meant my grandparents and dad all taking off to BC for a week. I couldn't go due to school, so my mother came over to stay nights.

My grandmother had put her best bedspread on the bed my mother would be using - in my room, while I moved over to the other room on that floor that had a narrow camp cot in it. My mother refused to let the cat sleep in her usual place because she hated my cat. She wouldn't let the dog sleep there because she didn't want to get dog hair on the spread.

So both the cat and dog came to sleep with me. The cat doing so wasn't unusual, but the dog hardly ever slept with me - I was definitely last choice but would have to do, since the dog was used to sleeping with somebody (usually my dad or grandfather).

The cat (my Siamese) slept at the foot of the bed, and would glare at my mother when she'd check on me (the antipathy was mutual). The dog just fell asleep, and holy crap, could he snore. I've never figured out who was the louder at snoring - my grandfather or the beagle.

Last night I ate quite late @ night which I know isn't good for sleep but often when I do that I compound it by also doing other activities which will keep me up (namely keeping my nervous system revved up w technology) but last night I just went into my dark room & stayed there thinking even tho I wasn't ready to sleep yet.

I didn't have it in me to try & meditate but I still watched my thoughts in a more casual way which was useful & actively tried to get myself into a parasympathic state.

Really tech usage, especially in a competitive way (gaming, arguing, etc), pseudo-social (foruming, consuming youtube etc)* and passive entertainment is probably the worst thing for sleep for many different reasons. People talk about artificial light in your eyes but I think that's only a fraction of the issue. The main thing I think is your stimilating your mind hardcore while your body is passive, accumulating stress & not releasing it.

*social online especially @ night is insidious because it's both neverending (always new people to talk/listen to) and ulitmiately unsatisfactory (these people aren't your real homies) so you can go on & on and then it's 3am

Last night I ate quite late @ night which I know isn't good for sleep but often when I do that I compound it by also doing other activities which will keep me up (namely keeping my nervous system revved up w technology) but last night I just went into my dark room & stayed there thinking even tho I wasn't ready to sleep yet.

I didn't have it in me to try & meditate but I still watched my thoughts in a more casual way which was useful & actively tried to get myself into a parasympathic state.

Really tech usage, especially in a competitive way (gaming, arguing, etc), pseudo-social (foruming, consuming youtube etc)* and passive entertainment is probably the worst thing for sleep for many different reasons. People talk about artificial light in your eyes but I think that's only a fraction of the issue. The main thing I think is your stimilating your mind hardcore while your body is passive, accumulating stress & not releasing it.

*social online especially @ night is insidious because it's both neverending (always new people to talk/listen to) and ulitmiately unsatisfactory (these people aren't your real homies) so you can go on & on and then it's 3am

Well, it's nearly 2:30 am here, and I'm still up, on the forum, flitting over to FB, reading another chapter of a Merlin fanfic, thinking of doing another action or two in a game I've been playing for several weeks, trying to keep the cat off the computer (literally), and I just had supper a few minutes ago.

I'm feeling tired now since I only had about 3 hours of sleep yesterday. I don't actually need to be up until about 2 pm later on, so there's time to read a few pages of that book I've been slogging through (I think I might cheer out loud when Antony dies).

That reading will help make me sleepy, and while I'm drifting off I'll be thinking stream-of-conscious about my writing, thinking of possible ways to add to the part of the story I'm working on for NaNoWriMo this month. I keep a notebook and pen beside me in case I get a great idea (they usually happen around 4 am, if they're going to happen that night/morning).

Next thing I know, Maddy will probably be washing my face, wanting food. It will be several hours later.

I love sleep. Try not to do ego stuff like arguing and competition before bed and avoid late night also don't have babies they're really bad for sleep

Probably the worst thing is being up at 3am holding your baby then getting your phone out and doomscrolling, which is the habit I fell into over the past year and a half. I do think you're on to something with the "stress without release" thing. When you're stressed cos you're playing a sport, your adrenaline gets used up straight away. When you're stressed out sat in front of a computer, that adrenaline's got nowhere to go so just stays with you as you go into bed. Really insightful Narz!

Have you tried any mindfulness apps? I've found them useful when I can't sleep. Now I don't need them but there was a period where I was totally stressed out and couldn't switch off, and the guided meditations really helped. Not that this is a silver bullet but the times when it helped, it helped.

Probably the worst thing is being up at 3am holding your baby then getting your phone out and doomscrolling, which is the habit I fell into over the past year and a half.
Oh yeah babies and kids in general exasperate everything. Once the kids are asleep I mostly want to stuff my face while gaming w YouTube in the background.

I do think you're on to something with the "stress without release" thing. When you're stressed cos you're playing a sport, your adrenaline gets used up straight away. When you're stressed out sat in front of a computer, that adrenaline's got nowhere to go so just stays with you as you go into bed. Really insightful Narz!
Thanks. It'd be interesting to see this studied someday. Analyzing biomarkers and sleep quality after sedentary virtual experiences (saying playing an online game) vs sedentary "real life" experiences (say playing a board game) vs active RL experience (hiking w friends, if you wanted to keep the gaming part consistent you could throw in some d&d style game where a person role played in real time w friends while walking in the real one (kids used to do that at boarding school while we were on work crew, "you wake up in an abandoned building, your head hurts, you have a wallet and $40, what do you do next?". Only one kid was actually a good DM, the others would just have you get killed in funny ways no matter what your choices.

For most of my online life I've mostly held it in shame and self-reproach but these days I have admitted to myself there is value in starting at a screen and interacting virtually it's just something that needs to be taken seriously, analyzed and balanced.

Have you tried any mindfulness apps? I've found them useful when I can't sleep. Now I don't need them but there was a period where I was totally stressed out and couldn't switch off, and the guided meditations really helped. Not that this is a silver bullet but the times when it helped, it helped.
I just use a meditation timer app.

I recently signed up for an online meditation retreat so we'll see how that goes.

It'd be interesting to see this studied someday.

I’ve seen it being mentioned. You can try brainstorming medical publications databases if you feel particularly curious.

Here’s one article:

The critical factor associated with stress is its chronic effect over time. Chronic stressors include daily hassles, frustration of traffic jams, work overload, financial difficulties, marital arguments or family problems. There are, of course, many more things that can cause stress, but these are the stressors commonly encountered in daily life. The pent-up anger we hold inside ourselves toward any of these situations, or the guilt and resentment we hold toward others and ourselves, all produce the same effects on the hypothalamus. Instead of discharging this stress, however, we hold it inside where its effects become cumulative.

Research shows that almost every system in the body can be influenced by chronic stress. When chronic stress goes unreleased, it suppresses the body’s immune system and ultimately manifests as illness. One can only wonder what would happen to the body if it remained in the fight-or-flight response. Fortunately, under normal circumstances, three minutes after a threatening situation is over and the real or imagined danger is removed, the fight-or-flight response subsides and the body relaxes and returns to its normal status. During this time heart rate, blood pressure, breathing, muscle tension, digestion, metabolism and the immune system all return to normal. If stress persists after the initial fight-or-flight reaction, the body’s reaction enters a second stage. During this stage, the activity if the sympathetic nervous system declines and adrenaline secretion is lessened, but corticosteroid secretion continues at above normal levels. Finally, if stress continues and the body is unable to cope, there is likely to be breakdown of bodily resources.

I am envious :)

For various reasons, I'm one of the cursed few who never had a camping trip go well.
At best the embers burned holes in my camping chair when I got up to get something.

I kept the memories of the nice alcohol and warm fire.
And I reproduced the good sleep experience as best as possible with total darkness, low noise, and an open window for fresh air.
Those 3 things more important than I thought.
I find that it's low anxiety/outcome independence that actually brings the best sleep, regardless of sound or ambient temperature.

You can always try backyard camping in a tent on an air pad. That's a great way to test gear.

I actually don't carry any chairs. Just a light closed-cell foam pad from Gossamer Gear to sit on.

I find that it's low anxiety/outcome independence that actually brings the best sleep, regardless of sound or ambient temperature.

You can always try backyard camping in a tent on an air pad. That's a great way to test gear.

I actually don't carry any chairs. Just a light closed-cell foam pad from Gossamer Gear to sit on.
You do seem a bit happy go lucky altho you never really know how someone is online

You do seem a bit happy go lucky altho you never really know how someone is online
I go through phases in real life, usually if I'm fixating on something or not too much. Online, this is just a place for fun. Moo.

I generally never have problems actually falling asleep. If I'm going to have a sleeping issue, it will most likely be waking up too early or staying asleep because I am excited for/anxious about something the next day. Still, I've gotten much better at living in the moment.

Top Bottom