New unit: Hellenistic/Roman Siege Tower

The unit is very cool! But I really dont see a good way to use it, if only we had an ignore city walls flag like in civ2. We could use it as a bombard unit with defensive capabilities or the opposite, but it would just be too stupid to use it in any other way than to attack cities or fortifications, another nice flag to have would be ignore defensive bonus :)

A little help to those who want to implement this unit, I hope they will find it useful.

Siege Towers were first time build during the reign of Philipp II of Makedonia, for the siege of Byzance, and thereafter all along the Anabase (conquest of Asia) of his son Alexander the Great. They were called Helepoleis (sg. Helepolis), built with wood, high from 20m to 45m (this maximum is reach at the siege of Tyre) and equiped with "flying-bridges" and oxybeles (arrow-firing catapults, as far as stone-launching ones were named lithoboles or petroboles).
The most famous ingeneer who manage to build such impressive towers was Poleydos the Thessalian.
I think prerequisites should be an Antic Ingeneering, Philipp II had recruted a lot of mathematicians and mecanicians to improve the power of Macedonian army and achieve his reputation of Poliorcet (Poliorcetic is the Art to take cities).

Originally posted by aaglo
Could this be upgraded to something that was used in a similar manner? A tank :lol:

In fact that's a quite good idea.;) Just don't check the "upgrade unit" flag, so you can't upgrade it to tank, but it would be replaced with tanks (or in my game armored cars) in the build-screen.

How about that? Maybe we should still get something between this and tank. Aaglo?:p

Originally posted by Lusikka755

In fact that's a quite good idea.;) Just don't check the "upgrade unit" flag, so you can't upgrade it to tank, but it would be replaced with tanks (or in my game armored cars) in the build-screen.

How about that? Maybe we should still get something between this and tank. Aaglo?:p

a Steam Tank! We certainly need one. Well, I do :mischief:

aaglo, just a quick note to say that I added this unit to my Game and wanted you to know that I believe it is among the most perfected and complete units I have seen.
...Excellent to say the least! The Sounds all work well with your unit and it is a Real Pleasure to add a unit this Nice and Fun without having to do a lot of adjusting and extra work........Great Unit to add to the Game! Congratulations on this Superb Unit and Thanks for your Efforts in creating it. :thanx: [dance] :beer:

Two comments:

The tower should have increaesed sight, because there's a very beautiful view on top of them...

The unit between this and a tank could be a cataphract because it's heavy armored and there were (sometimes) bowmen on it.
And Xen would surely be happy...

the word "cataphract" is also a general term in greek for heavilly armored"...

@socralynnek- actually, I have a fair disdain for bows- sure, if I was a commander I would have used them, as it would be a complete mistake not to, including on my beloved cataphract, as it helps give flexibility in battle- but make no mistake, its cataphracts as lancers, and swordsmen that are the cataphracts I love ;)

that said, I think socralynnek meant that this unit would be a good predesessor unit for a ROman tank- but a middle man between a seige tower, and a tank would have to be a heavilly armoured, and armed unit- the best choice for this in the sense of a middle age tank woul dhave been a cataphract horseman ;)

I'm not sure what is possible... but could it give an attack bonus to all units that are stacked on top of it? +25% or something like that

Originally posted by Dom Pedro II
I dunno... a siege tower that upgrades to a cavalry that upgrades to a tank just doesn't seem to sit well with me...

That's why I use it like this:

Siege Tower - Armored Car (ripptide) - Tank - Modern Armor - Gravity Armor (Piernik)

Without the upgrade unit flag of course.

I think he means it can't. If you upgrade to something, and don't have the flag, then once you get that, you can't build the old unit, or upgrade it.

How about

Siege Tower >> Cataphract >> Cavalry >> Tank >> Modern Amor

Upgrade flag optional.

Well, if it doesn't actually upgrade to the different things, then it really doesn't matter. But personally, I think almost everything should upgrade to something else so that you're not left with dozens of choices in the building options menu.

Top Bottom